Sponsored by:

Subs in Trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-03, 01:19 PM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subs in Trunk?

OK I got a question about putting my subs in the lexus.
With the gas tankbeing in between the trunk and the compartment is that going to kill the bass making it to me. Any suggestions opinions or experience with this. Is a free air sub in the old factory location better.
( I hate free air subs )
Let me know thanks.
Old 10-30-03, 01:28 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not a fan of free-airs, either... you can get a high-power 10" sub, drop it into the factory location, and glass a box behind it (very difficult), or jus take the factory sub out, letting more air/bass through from the trunk into the cabin. Also, if you take out your back seat, there is a little round plate the covers the fuel access lid (for lack of a better term). You can take that out, and that will let even more air in - not sure if that plate is there for a reason other than separating the cab from the trunk, so you might want to look into that, first.
Old 10-30-03, 02:54 PM
SCLEX
Pole Position

That little plate DOES let more bass in, but if you get in a wreck, it would me more likely for your car to explode, or something along those lines. I didnt take mine out. I have 2 12" subs in my trunk, i have enough room for about 3-4 backpacks, and thats it. I wish I had more trunk space, but it hits hard enough for me. I don't have my stock sub in, I took that out when they were installed. The thing that kills the bass is that it has to go through the firewall, through the gas tank, through another firewall, through the back seats, then it gets to you. If you put the windows down, or even the sunroof down, it makes a big difference in SPL and SQ. I think its worth it though, setting off car alarms and having a really nice back massage whenever you want. The free air sub, i'm pretty sure, cannot do that, or as easily.

-Richard
Old 10-30-03, 03:54 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you'll do a search, you'll see lots of examples of woofer enclosures in the SC trunk.

The hole created by the removal of the stock woofer is plenty big, there should be no need to remove the "fuel access lid " (which is there to allow access to the in-tank fuel pump). The pump is in the tank to allow full pressurization of the entire fuel line, eliminating vapor lock.
Old 10-30-03, 06:54 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by SCLEX
That little plate DOES let more bass in, but if you get in a wreck, it would me more likely for your car to explode, or something along those lines. I didnt take mine out. I have 2 12" subs in my trunk, i have enough room for about 3-4 backpacks, and thats it. I wish I had more trunk space, but it hits hard enough for me. I don't have my stock sub in, I took that out when they were installed. The thing that kills the bass is that it has to go through the firewall, through the gas tank, through another firewall, through the back seats, then it gets to you. If you put the windows down, or even the sunroof down, it makes a big difference in SPL and SQ. I think its worth it though, setting off car alarms and having a really nice back massage whenever you want. The free air sub, i'm pretty sure, cannot do that, or as easily.

-Richard
Word. Same here.

Perry, why did you mention the fuel pump and vapor lock? Jus wondering...
Old 10-30-03, 07:01 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default <ahem!>

Originally posted by RSTSpeed
not sure if that plate is there for a reason other than separating the cab from the trunk....

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 10-30-03 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-30-03, 07:13 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by PERRYinLA
The hole created by the removal of the stock woofer is plenty big, there should be no need to remove the "fuel access lid " (which is there to allow access to the in-tank fuel pump). The pump is in the tank to allow full pressurization of the entire fuel line, eliminating vapor lock.
<ahem!>?? lol...I wasn't talking about the pump, though. I know the plate is there for access, but I jus don't know what THAT plate has to do with the vapor lock... the gas tank is completely separate, so that plate doesn't affect it.

Last edited by RSTSpeed; 10-30-03 at 07:15 PM.