Sponsored by:

sound quality when replacing stock sub in the gs

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-03, 10:32 AM
jdmaristo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sound quality when replacing stock sub in the gs

just wonderin if anyone replace the stock sub with an aftermarket free air sub..and amp..and if so how did it sound,
Old 11-06-03, 11:33 AM
kola
Driver

There's a discussion going on in the audio forum right now on this topic. Darius2004 is going to do it and jmecbr900 already done it. I'm planning on doing it too
Old 11-06-03, 01:27 PM
jdmaristo
Driver

yea i already ordered the subs.and it can be used for free air .i was just worried if it would sound like crap.
Old 11-06-03, 05:30 PM
jdmaristo
Driver

does the stock gs audio setup have rca outputs?
Old 11-06-03, 08:17 PM
krock
Driver School Candidate

Default subs

what brand of sub did you buy? will it run off the stock amp? Is it easy to replace hthe sub and the amp?
Old 11-07-03, 11:40 AM
jdmaristo
Driver

i bought the infinity 1030w off of sounddomain , it was pretty cheap, dunno if its easy to replace thats why i was askin, but if its to hard to do myself i just take it to get it done.,..and i dont think enough bass would go through the infinity sub wit the stock amp , so i got a 400 rms amp
Old 11-07-03, 03:12 PM
krock
Driver School Candidate

Smile sub

Thanks dude, I think I can install the sub.thanks to banana Gs's DIY page. I just need more help with the amp. My sub is making a thumping humming noise.NO BASS! :-)
Old 11-07-03, 07:44 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did somebody ring????? jk.

Yes, I have done it. I replaced the stock 10" sub with a Kicker Free-air 12". It has to be powered by it's own amp, the stocker doesn't have enough good juice to power it. I chose to power mine with a small Alpine mono amp.

As for sound quality: Weeelllll......honestly, I've heard better. It's ok, but only marginally. It's very good if you like jazz or salsa or classical type music. You know, not bassy but has some bass guitar notes and mostly mid to highs. If you like booming bass, like in rap or hip hop....forget it. The sub is not designed for that kind of booming bass, specially out of a single one getting it's signal from the stock HU. Actually, I'm being kinda hard on the setup....it sounds good to the point that you don't over push it. When the sub reaches it's best notes it sounds surprisingly good. Mine hit really really good a couple of times during certain songs. The real problem with the setup lies in the fact that you have no control over the sub. The sub is basically either off, quiet, or loud depending on how high you turn up the "bass" control on the HU. Not really control. It would probably sound 10x better if you could control the bass being sent back better. Kinda like #3 is too little bass, and #4 sounds like a popcorn tin.....know what I mean? The control from the HU is not finite enough to make the speaker do it's thing.

One thing I did find is that turning down the gain on the amp all the way DOWN sounds the best. If you turn up the gain, as the volume goes up.....so does the rattling and the tin can sound. It sounded terrible with the gain up. With the gain all the way down, it sounded considerably better.

It is a very economical and practical way to get more bass than the wimpy stocker. I liked it when I had it.

BTW, there are pics in the other thread.
Old 11-08-03, 08:54 AM
jdmaristo
Driver

coo thanx