Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Do the ML audio/Nav systems have 2 Aux inputs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-03, 05:28 AM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do the ML audio/Nav systems have 2 Aux inputs?

I asked a more specific question about adding XM, but no one seemed to have an answer. More generally, does anyone know if the Mark Levinson/Navigation systems have one or two Auxillary inputs where I could plug in satellite radio? I don't want to use FM modulation.
Old 11-07-03, 08:48 AM
drurywoodson
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I can only answer for the Rx330, but here's what I know. On the Rx330, the factory head unit does have an auxiliary input which is intended for the Rear Seat Entertainment System. So, if you have the RSES it's already taken. If you don't have the RSES, the input is there -- but only theoretically. The problem is that the HU has to be fooled into thinking that the RSES is installed before it will look at the input. I'm not sure, but I have a strong suspicion that the only way to do this is to hack into the AVC-LAN protocol and build a controller that would send the right information to the HU.

As far as your car goes, you can have a look at the factory wiring diagrams for only $10/day at techinfo.lexus.com. If you want a schematic of the stereo, you have to order the service manual from Pioneer parts at (800) 421-1404 (6:00AM-4:30PM PST M-F). Mine was $28.39. You need to know the model # of the stereo first, so you'll have to take yours out and look at the sticker. The model # for a ML on the Rx330 is FX-MG8327ZT, so look for a number like that. The procedure for removing it is on the Lexus techinfo site.

Anothere techy alternative that would be easier than hacking the AVC-LAN is to build an interface circuit that would convert your XM's player's output to the factory balanced line levels for your amp, and hook that up to a homebrew multiplexer circuit with a dash-mounted select switch.

If you don't want to get techy, I suspect you are going to have to settle for the FM modulation. The only off-the-shelf alternative that I know of is to use something like an Alpine PXA-H700 that has multiple inputs and do the switching with it. Of course, you'd have to go with aftermarket amps as well if you did that.
Old 11-07-03, 09:00 AM
LS007
Lead Lap

The ML stereo w/ navigation has no AUX inputs. The wiring for both the tuner (in the trunk) and tape deck/CD changer (in dash for LS) have L+R low level inputs to the amplifier. The problem would be if you intercepted one of these L+R lines you would need to figure out how to enable the corresponding input on the amplifier. Maybe turning the FM tuner ON and using a DPDT relay on the L+R tuner lines to be energized when your XM tuner is ON might work.

The more common approach would be to us a Blitzsafe CD changer adapter with AUX input. I've read the Lexus adapter sold by Autotoys.com still has problems and is not designed for the ML system.
Old 11-07-03, 01:04 PM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Thanks a million for the input. I emailed Blitzsafe, but they said they had nothing for the '04 Lexus yet. Looks like I may be out of luck until they come up with something.
Old 11-07-03, 01:06 PM
jacksonian
Pole Position

I just realized the pun I made about the input, hah!

I'm so disappointed that Lexus hasn't integrated one of the satellite radio services yet. Maybe they were waiting cautiously to see if they would stay viable.
Old 11-08-03, 06:53 AM
LS430inTX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just FYI, Lexus has made available XM radio for the '04 LS430. Don't know about other '04 models. Even if you can't get factory XM, don't discount the FM modulator just yet. There are pros and cons to teh FM Mod but I think the arguments against it, while for the most part valid, are just a little overblown especially when you look at the engineering facts of what frequencies FM can reproduce vs what the average human ear can hear. There's an interesting thread about it on the XM fan site. I think part of the misunderstanding also stems from confusion about digital vs analog signals. But ultimately, its what your ears hear thats whats important. Just be sure to listen with your ears and not somebody elses.