Sponsored by:

Sirius in GS400?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-03, 12:43 PM
Rondo1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sirius in GS400?

OK folks, I've scanned this forum a number of times looking for the answer, but I can't find it. So I'm asking outright. I noticed that with XM Radio there is a new direct-connect from the tuner to the stock system in the GS (and other Lexi). What I can't seem to find is the same for Sirius? Do I have that option or do I have to go with FM modulation? I would prefer not to go that route but am really going nuts to get satellite radio. Can someone answer this question for me? Is there a direct-connect system in place for Sirius tuners to stock Lexus system. I have a 1999 GS400. It does not have navi, or the Nakamichi.
Old 11-12-03, 11:32 PM
Rondo1
Driver

Unhappy

bump.

Anyone? Anyone? Can you at least tell me if this direct connect is even possible with Sirius? C'mon guys show me that this forum isn't a waste of my time.....
Old 11-13-03, 06:38 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

I hear ya Rondo. I've been searching for the same solution. I've had next to no luck finding an answer. At this point I'm ready to give up and just go w/FM modulation.

If you find anything please post here. Good luck.
Old 11-13-03, 07:54 AM
jacksonian
Pole Position

I was hoping to find a similar answer for my new '04 GX470. I really hate to sacrifice any sound quality by going with the FM modulation. Blitzsafe makes adapters for direct connection to some units, they may have one for the 99 GS. I think (not sure) they will work for either Sirius or XM.

I have a limited understanding of this stuff, but I'll try to explain.
If your factory system has an auxillary input, you can tap the XM or Sirius directly into the unit, but I think you need one of these adapters from PIE or Blitzsafe (not sure why--I've seen some other adapters listed with the systems on Crutchfield). They have an adapter that will also fit in the loop in between your head unit and your cd changer and make another AUX input to connect the satellite.

here are the links for the adapters
http://store.yahoo.com/xmfanstore/blauxad.html
www.blitzsafe.com

It looks like on the blitzsafe site they list:
Lexus
All models 98-03 with Nakamichi
All models 98-03 without Nakamichi

You may want to check the XMfan.com forum, they have an installation section. For Sirius, they have Siriusbackstage.com. I'm sure someone there may be able to help.
Old 11-13-03, 03:51 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, you will need the Blitzsafe adapter - but make sure you verify that they've worked out the bugs before you buy it, because I remember some chatter that there was a problem or two. The Pioneer (non-Nakamichi) radio in your GS has a configuration where the CD changer and the radio headunit have separate preamp audio outs to the amp, thus making adding another aux input difficult.

The un-modulated version of Sirius is highly preferred, though still not CD quality.
Old 11-13-03, 06:37 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

I've read all about the adapters. Even read a thread about someone trying it and getting NO support from Blitzsafe. I've given up. If I find a solution before I get Sirius(no pun intended! Doh!) then great!! Otherwise its "Sirius FM".
Old 11-13-03, 07:30 PM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Yeah, I may be getting XM FM.
Old 11-13-03, 07:30 PM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Yeah, I may be getting XM FM.
Old 11-13-03, 08:20 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

why not just go XM? i have XM and i love it
Old 11-14-03, 01:05 AM
Rondo1
Driver

Default Thanx

Hey everyone, that's what I thought. I'll keep looking, but I'm pretty set on Sirius and the FM mod may be the way I have to go with for now. Sure I want the best possible sound, but over on SiriusBackstage.com, I hear that the FM modulation is not as good as a direct-connect, but its still better than your typical FM. I'm getting to the point that I can live with that. I'll check a few high-end installers and see what they think and will post anything I find out. Hope you guys do the same if you find anything. Thanks!
Old 11-14-03, 08:43 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Regular FM is typically distorted by the fact that it has to be transmitted over the air. Regular FM stations also do nasty things to the signal, like too much compression. When you generate the signal and demodulate it within your own car, it is much cleaner, since there are no atmospheric nasties. The unmodulated signal from Sirius is roughly midway in quality between regular FM and CD. Actually, for some material, and on some channels, it is closer to CD, and on others it is closer to FM, depending on a bunch of factors. So using the FM modulator, it will still be in-between in quality, but still short of what you'd get if using the baseband RCA connections. Modulator is not a bad way to go if the RCA alternative is too cumbersome to set up in your car.

Sirius and XM are similar in sound quality. on average. The differences are in the programming, the jocks, and the commercials on XM. XM has a few channels that I'd like to have on Sirius, but in general, I wouldn't trade my Sirius tuner for XM.

My $0.02.
Old 11-14-03, 12:01 PM
jacksonian
Pole Position

engin_ear,
Thanks for your thoughts. The Blitzsafe site (that sells direct connection adapters) proclaims a 35% improvement in sound quality over FM modulation. Others have said that the order was direct--cassette--FM modulator--wireless FM modulator in order of descending sound quality for connections. Then the Circuit City installer (19 year old) tells me the other day that the FM modulator actually could do better than the cassette connection.

I just wish I could get a direct connection and not have to worry with it. But I can't even make the decision between XM and Sirius. CNET's review gave a slight edge to XM in sound quality.
Old 11-14-03, 12:35 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

As far as Sirius vs. XM in sound quality, right now, it depends on which review you listen to, and you have to watch out for the date of the review, because Sirius has many may improvements to their coder in the past year or so. There is active work going on in both camps to improve the sound quality of the audio coders. It also heavily depends on what your favorite music type is. The audio coders are different, and they handle different music types differently. I STRONGLY suggest to you not to make your decision based on sound quality - they are too close, and neither is sufficiently close to a CD to really allow picking one over the other. There are too many other factors that you should consider instead, like channel availability, commercials, favorite music types, available hardware, etc. Sirius should tend to be better in the reception category (and thus dropouts) because of the elevation angle of their satellites, but XM compensates by adding a gazillion terrestrial repeaters, something I don't particularly care for, but most people seem to be getting the signal OK, so that doesn't matter much either.

There have been recent reviews in Stereo Review, Car Audio and Electronics, and a few other mags. Might want to check their websites out to see if the reviews are available, if you're interested.
Old 11-14-03, 01:23 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I agonized for many months over this very same issue, then Sirius came out with their Friends & Family promotion (free hardware) so I just went ahead and ordered the AudioVox PnP2 Shuttle with the built-in FM modulation (no tapping into the antenna line needed).

Now that it's working I don't know why I waited so long- what a nifty gadget. The FM sounds fine to me. Plus, half the fun is moving it from car to car to show your friends. Eventually, I'll work out some nicely integrated setup, but for now I could not be happier.

(Incidentally, if any new user is about to activate their Sirius account, please contact me first with a Private Message- I may be able to save you a few bucks per month.)
Old 11-14-03, 03:57 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

I'm gonna go w/Sirius just because it's 100% commercial free, plus their programming suits me better.
I'm a techno head, and Sirius has 5 channels for that type of music and XM only 3. I think the delta in sound quality will be negligible. Only dilemma now is where to mount the Kenwood H2A. Was thinking of ashtray area(GS4).....any other ideas??

Quick Reply: Sirius in GS400?