Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

XM Radio!!!!!! (questions that is)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-04, 11:45 PM
melymel96
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

SIRIUS is not going out of business. And they have over 600,000 subs now and that is without OEM Installs. Chrysler just now started putting SIRIUS in cars. XM cannot buyout SIRIUS because then they will have a monopoly.

SIRIUS also has NCAA. I listend to Notre Dames game last saturday when they crushed Washington.

You are right though. Check the channel line ups and see which one you want.

SIRIUS will be streaming Video into cars next year though. That is something that XM hasnt planned on yet for the near future.
Old 09-30-04, 12:02 AM
darden
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, Sirius is probably not going out of business now. about a year ago when i doing research on satellite radio, Sirius only had 200,000 subscribers and XM had 1.2 million.

i just read the news that Sirius is about to offer the next gen Sirius in Wal-Mart:

http://news.designtechnica.com/article5516.html

and i do know a few people who actually have BOTH sirius and XM in their cars due to the difference in programming.

well, i guess the battle continues between XM and Sirius. that's definitely a good thing for us consumers!
Old 09-30-04, 08:14 AM
melymel96
Intermediate

Originally posted by darden
yeah, Sirius is probably not going out of business now. about a year ago when i doing research on satellite radio, Sirius only had 200,000 subscribers and XM had 1.2 million.

i just read the news that Sirius is about to offer the next gen Sirius in Wal-Mart:

http://news.designtechnica.com/article5516.html

and i do know a few people who actually have BOTH sirius and XM in their cars due to the difference in programming.

well, i guess the battle continues between XM and Sirius. that's definitely a good thing for us consumers!
And us Investors!!!

And Im not promoting SIRIUS over XM because I have stock in SIRIUS. I have shares in each company.

The reason for the large gap in subscribers is because XM got out there first. Lucent Technologies messed up on the 1st Gen Chip sets for SIRIUS and delayed there launch. Plus...XM has the name. When Satellite Radio first came out I thought it was just XM also.
Old 09-30-04, 08:15 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by melymel96
Before jumping into XM, I would look at SIRIUS as well. A lot of people think Satellite Radio is just XM. XM is a company as is SIRIUS.

Do your research and see what both companies offer. XM maybe 9.99 a month, but they charge extra for certain channels, like Playboy and Opie and Anthony. Plus they charge and extra 3.99 to stream there music online.

At SIRIUS you get everything for 12.99 a month, to inlude free online streaming, and all NFL, NHL and most NBA games broadcast live.

Do your research. To each is own.

www.sirius.com

www.xmradio.com

www.siriusbackstage.com

www.xmfan.com
If you just buy the Sirius one year subscription, the price is about the same as XM ($10)/mo.).
Old 09-30-04, 08:20 AM
melymel96
Intermediate

Originally posted by engin_ear
If you just buy the Sirius one year subscription, the price is about the same as XM ($10)/mo.).

Yes that is true! I forgot about that one! Good Point. Plus SIRIUS has 3 Satellites that roam in a figure 8 formation that covers the USA, Canada, Mexica, and some parts of Africa! XM has 2 stationary satellites that sit on the equator and they use thousands of ground repeaters to get there signal to you. SIRIUS only has 100 or so ground repeaters.
Old 09-30-04, 08:23 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by melymel96
SIRIUS is not going out of business. And they have over 600,000 subs now and that is without OEM Installs. Chrysler just now started putting SIRIUS in cars. XM cannot buyout SIRIUS because then they will have a monopoly.

SIRIUS also has NCAA. I listend to Notre Dames game last saturday when they crushed Washington.

You are right though. Check the channel line ups and see which one you want.

SIRIUS will be streaming Video into cars next year though. That is something that XM hasnt planned on yet for the near future.
Sirius is a major operation that I'm intimately familiar with, their NYC studios are awesome. It would not surprise me at all if they overtake XM in subscribers once the satellite radio thing catches on, and it's beginning to. It also wouldn't surprise me if Sirius tried to buy out XM, but that's the same monopoly problem.
Kudos to Sirius AND XM for bringing us radio we can listen to again. Maybe they can get together and buy out some FM stations and erase them from their useless existence.

Last edited by engin_ear; 09-30-04 at 08:25 AM.