Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

XM Radio!!!!!! (questions that is)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-03, 04:39 PM
Ian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question XM Radio!!!!!! (questions that is)

Hey guys, I am planning on getting XM Radio added to my 03 SC430 I would love to see some pictures and model numbers of the ones you guys have installed so I can make my decision. Thank you for the info!!!!!

-Ian
Old 11-18-03, 09:23 PM
jtc
Driver School Candidate

Default xm radio

I have put in xm radio in both my rx300 and my sc430. I use and like the delphi unit. In the rx I had the unit installed next to the shift lever, however in my sc I could not find anywhere to put it that looked good to me. So what I did (and this may sound crazy) is this. I purchased the portable car unit that plays by putting a cassette with a wire attached into the tape player. I installed the antenna on the black shelf inside the car behind the wind deflector ( stuck on with 3m double sided adhesive tape). I ran the antenna cable under the wind deflector,tucked it under the top of the rear seat, then tucked it under the edge of the rear seat and ran it down the side of the rear seat, then continued by tucking it under the seat base. At the transmission tunnel I ran it to the rear seat storage compartment. Here is where I put the delphi unit. The rear storage compartment has a pass through space at the bottom that communicates with the storage compartment between the front seats (these pass throughs are covered with pop off plastic covers) (remove both covers). Then I passed the power cable for the unit though and plugged it in the outlet in the front storage compartment, I passed the cassette wire though also. So if I am not using it, the only visible change is the antenna on the shelf and about 2 inches of wire on the rear transmission tunnel. To use it I take the cassette out of the front storage compartment and plug it in the dash then close the top ( it closes ok) (now a wire is visible from compartment to tape deck). I then reach back and flip open the rear compartment exposing the control unit. The unit comes with a remote control. It has 10 buttons that can be set to two sets of ten channels (enough for me, since you can't see the unit without turning around). With the top up pointing it sort of up and at the roof changes channels, however with the top down I have to use a sort of "throwing salt over my shoulder motion" to change channels. I had tried other locations but this seemed the best for me. If anyone has any other suggestions I would be interested to know.
Old 11-21-03, 03:36 AM
darden
Lexus Champion

yeah, i am very interested in this thread as well. i really want XM radio...really really want it.

BUT...

1. i don't want the cassette adapter, probably go with the FM modulator.

2. i don't know where to put the display unit. i have IS300 Sportcross. i can't find a good place for the unit. i thought about putting the unit right under the armrest so i can flip the armrest and change channels. since the arm rest is right above the storage area with the extra power plug-in, i guess this would be a good spot.

3. i really HATE the external attenna. i don't want to run that thing on my roof with a stupid wire. this is the main thing that is stopping me from getting XM.

anyway, if anyone has any suggestions, pictures, ideas, please help us. my friend has XM in his car, i got to hear it a couple of time. i think it's great. how do i intergrate the unit into my car without the clutter, that is the question...

i really wished Lexus came with XM ready receivers...

Last edited by darden; 11-21-03 at 03:37 AM.
Old 11-22-03, 10:31 PM
MarsB007
Driver

has anyone thought about taking apart the control unit for the xm, pulling/extending the iR eye, and mounting it somewhere where the remote can see it? I understand that you wont be able to see the screen, so no information about what you're listening to, but at least it would look better and you won't have to point the remote in weird angles to change stations.
Old 11-28-03, 07:54 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default You're very resourceful, jtc !

Darden, from some of the posts I've read on XMFAN.COM and SIRIUSBACKSTAGE.COM, you may get lucky and be able to get good reception by placing the antenna on the forward area of the dash. Others have hidden it inside the spoiler!

Even if you have to resort to the roof, the latest XM antennas are very small.
Old 11-28-03, 08:53 PM
darden
Lexus Champion

Default Re: You're very resourceful, jtc !

Originally posted by PERRYinLA
Darden, from some of the posts I've read on XMFAN.COM and SIRIUSBACKSTAGE.COM, you may get lucky and be able to get good reception by placing the antenna on the forward area of the dash. Others have hidden it inside the spoiler!

Even if you have to resort to the roof, the latest XM antennas are very small.
ok, great. thanks for the info and links.

i went and talked to best buy ppl today about XM. this one sales guy was really nice. he showed me all the stuff even though he knew i was not going to buy today. i explained to him what i wanted and didn't want to do with XM.

anyway, he told me that he has installed some XM attenna on the dash and got great reception as well. that was the first time i hear that so i was not sure about it until i read your post.

i will be checking out those sites you listed for sure. thank you!
Old 09-01-04, 11:39 PM
TRENDY
Driver School Candidate

Hey, I have an XM radio and it's great. I drive about 2.5hrs everyday and XM radio makes the drive go so much faster. I love the fact that I don't have to listen to stupid commercial breaks. Also, depending on my mood, I can listen to broadway, classical, pop, etc anytime i want and don't have to search for new channels everytime i cross towns.
Old 09-27-04, 10:03 PM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XM Radio

I put a Roady in my RX300. Mounted the reciever in the sunglasses holder. Picked up switched power from the sunroof motor. Ran the cassette wiring down to the radio. You can buy an extension cable. On the antenna. At first I had it outside. But when I was playing with the wiring. I just layed the antenna on the dash. Works the same for me. It still drops out next to buildings. But it did when it was outside also. The FM modulator sounded terrible. I need to find a harness for the non Nakamichi radio. To hook it up right to the stereo.
Old 09-28-04, 12:02 AM
darden
Lexus Champion

Default Re: XM Radio

Originally posted by KeysRx300
I put a Roady in my RX300. Mounted the reciever in the sunglasses holder. Picked up switched power from the sunroof motor. Ran the cassette wiring down to the radio. You can buy an extension cable. On the antenna. At first I had it outside. But when I was playing with the wiring. I just layed the antenna on the dash. Works the same for me. It still drops out next to buildings. But it did when it was outside also. The FM modulator sounded terrible. I need to find a harness for the non Nakamichi radio. To hook it up right to the stereo.
i have had the roady for several months now and just got the home kit today as well. i have had no trouble with the FM modulator since i live in a small town... no interference. when i drive through the D.C. area, i do have to switch station when i reach near the BWI airport. besides that... it's all good.

my XM car pictures here

my XM homekit here
Old 09-28-04, 06:55 PM
melymel96
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

XM SUCKS! I had XM in my Eclipse and I hated it. I put SIRIUS in my GS4. Way better programming. Plus SIRIUS broadcasts in Dolby Surround, and I get way less drop outs then XM.

The new SIRIUS Sportster PnP is money!
Old 09-28-04, 08:42 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

I put the Kenwood FM modulated Sirius in my 2003 SC 430. It was not the Here2Anywhere model but the other small control unit. It fit perfectly in the ashtray area. They moved my cigarette lighter to the tunnel area in passenger footwell. The ashtray door covered the unit up when not in use. antenna was on the dash and I got perfect reception, plus the brushed aluminum look matched the ML stereo very nicely. Just my $.02.

Last edited by Doc C; 09-28-04 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-29-04, 04:09 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I want to take the XM plunge, my car has no CD changer, and i'm sick of hearing AOL and Sleep Train commercials.
Old 09-29-04, 04:46 PM
melymel96
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Before jumping into XM, I would look at SIRIUS as well. A lot of people think Satellite Radio is just XM. XM is a company as is SIRIUS.

Do your research and see what both companies offer. XM maybe 9.99 a month, but they charge extra for certain channels, like Playboy and Opie and Anthony. Plus they charge and extra 3.99 to stream there music online.

At SIRIUS you get everything for 12.99 a month, to inlude free online streaming, and all NFL, NHL and most NBA games broadcast live.

Do your research. To each is own.

www.sirius.com

www.xmradio.com

www.siriusbackstage.com

www.xmfan.com

Originally posted by nthach
I want to take the XM plunge, my car has no CD changer, and i'm sick of hearing AOL and Sleep Train commercials.
Old 09-29-04, 04:52 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Plus, if, instead of creating a new account with Sirius for $12.99/mo, one joins up with someone that already has an existing account (like me- PM if interested), the extra subscription is only $6.99/mo, which averages out to $10/each/month, same as XM.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 09-29-04 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-29-04, 09:19 PM
darden
Lexus Champion

i pay for my GF's XM account in addition to my own. additional accounts is also 6.99. so i pay 16.99 total for two accounts. not bad.

i picked XM because of its techno and electronica channels. although satelite radio for both companies offer over 100 chanels of programming, you will find that you will be listening to 2-3 of yoru favorite channels about 80-90% of the time.

anyway, check the programming for both companies and see which one has the most channels that my interest you is my advice.

another main reason i picked XM because i thought Sirius might be going out of business or be bought out by XM sometime in the near future.

XM has over 2 million subscribers now compared to Sirius which has less than 500,000 the last time i checked.

but i did wish XM got the rights to NFL though. BUT NCAA football is just as good on XM... it all depends on your interest.

Quick Reply: XM Radio!!!!!! (questions that is)