Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

1997 ES300 - No Power to Radios (aftermarket)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-24, 01:44 PM
tutonelexus
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 ES300 - No Power to Radios (aftermarket)

Following is for a 1997 Lexus ES300. I recently got an aftermarket head unit from eBay (Kenwood DPX4021) and accidentally shorted something in my car. I first tested the unit with simple connections and with the car battery off and disconnected. The unit powered up fine and was easy to wire.

My car came with an aftermarket pioneer unit installed already. It worked great with the factory sub and amp. I was able to piggy back off the last persons work and reuse the aftermarket harness + rca cables. It was a matter of connecting my new Kenwood the same way the pioneer was connected . I’ll throw a photo of the original wiring on pioneer I copied.

Later the same day I got some better crimp connectors and decided to wire the kenwood for a secure final installation. In an excited rush I forgot to turn off my car and forgot to disconnect the battery , this is my oversight. My kenwood lost power during the install and I thought it died bruh. But it was alive dude!!! I was able to test the kenwood with a 12v wall socket to give it power. Works fine man

i tried to reinstall my previous aftermarket pioneer in my car to see if it got any juice to turn on and no luck. So no radio for me until I figure this out.

After extensive research on the forums and regret of my oversight and contemplating my life. Long walks on the beach…and journaling my frustration. I checked both radio fuses. One under the hood and one behind the coin tray. Both looked intact but no multimeter test. I then tested the radio harness itself with a multimeter. The red ignition wire gets 12v when car is turned on. The yellow constant doesn’t receive any voltage.

my next thought is the stock amplifier may have been shorted. I took out the glove box to test the amp. The blue/yellow power wire received between 10-12v. I’ll throw some pics in this muthaf. If my amp is still getting power and the fuses are fine but no power at the radio harness ?? Why u no work radio ?? Did I forget to check another wire on the amp? Am I missing something ?

im at a loss and would like to figure this out before i take my 1997 Lexus es300 :3 to a car stereo/electronic repair shop.

crazy the next effin day man my window regulator on the passenger side screwed up. All of a sudden on a hot day the window jsut gave up and went completely down all by itself, like who let the breeze in dude. I took off the door panel and was able to see the regulator cables and springs were all loosey goosey. The motor would make a wimpy attempt to work and roll it up but the window would not move. Power window controls on drive and passenger side are active. May have this done at a shop. All other windows are fine but I am skeptical now , not sure if it has to do with the radio issue but I hope not.
Old 04-17-24, 02:10 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,938 Likes on 2,474 Posts

You still have a blown fuse check again not just visually but with a test meter.
Old 04-17-24, 02:38 PM
tutonelexus
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
You still have a blown fuse check again not just visually but with a test meter.
I’ll check them when I can and post my results.

Any other fuses I should check? Or other troubleshoot ideas