Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

2 x 12's or 1 x 15 ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-03, 11:43 AM
GaryDell
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No doubt the W7's are great speakers, but comparable performance can be had for almost half the price (Brahma, IDMAX, ED A series). The JL amps you are considering are some of my favorite feature wise, and they are going to be quite pricey as well. I think the JBL would be sufficient and will cost about $400 less than the JL.

And I absolutely hate what Audiobahn is pulling now. Like JL with their older W6 series, they release DVC 6 ohm subwoofers in trying to force you to buy three to get a nice 4 ohm load...
Old 11-26-03, 12:22 PM
darden
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by engin_ear
You've got to be kidding me. Like Funkmaster Flex has some sort of technical credentials??? Give me a break. He can spend a lot of money on gear. The guy has his own signature shoe line (Lugz), so does that make him a sneaker expert too?
Funkmaster Flex has been a famous and established DJ for over 15 years now. I certainly do consider him an expert when it comes to down to music, music studio equipment, and things related. he would not have the millions to start his own driving shoe line if it weren't for his expertise in music. i understand that some people might not like his style in music. but hey, he's a proven artist.

Flex certainly has the resources to hear the difference in all types of sound equipment for cars, from normal consumer stuff to super high end stuff. he picked the JL Audio W7 for a reason. i trust his ears.

In the end, Flex is not the only person who backs the JL Audio W7. it has gotten killer reviews from the whole industry.

The bottom line is this. when you do put a W7 side by side with other similar woofers by other companies, the difference becomes very clear that there is no competition. W7, for now at least, is the best car subwoofer for around $1,000.
Old 11-26-03, 12:31 PM
darden
Lexus Champion

i am no technical expert. but i am sure many experts in this field would agree that JL Audio makes some top quality products in the past few years. in addition, all these riced out looking amps by well known companies should make you wonder where they are spending their research money.

JL audio is no doubt pricey. but you do get what you paid for. i prefer spending money on equipment that will out perform the competition in sound than just looking "COOL" with blue neon light accents and chromed out bladed grilles.

Last edited by darden; 11-26-03 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-26-03, 12:49 PM
GaryDell
Rookie

"The bottom line is this. when you do put a W7 side by side with other similar woofers by other companies, the difference becomes very clear that there is no competition. W7, for now at least, is the best car subwoofer for around $1,000."

I'd be willing to bet that if you were doing a blind a/b test on with the W7, MAX, Brahma, and e12A in a trunk, you wouldn't be able to hear the difference.

Warehouse direct sales over the internet is just a fantastic way to get rid of a middle man or two and is the reason I don't even consider brands like JL and Eclipse anymore...
Old 11-26-03, 03:11 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by NoRyceGS4
the reason he keeps asking is because there was no real clear answer as i think he was expecting. instead you guys went off on your own tangent and started arguing, so dont blame him for still being unclear.
Who is YOU GUYS?

I agree with you that he's not clear, but honestly...he has to answer a bunch of questions that have been asked here and he has not answered a single one. The only thing the initial poster has clearly stated is that he wants bass. Fine then, put 3 15's and a big amp and presto...you have bass. Don't have the room? Don't have the money? Sounds like crap? Well, that changes the answer then, huh?

It's impossible to answer such a vague question with a simple answer. I'm not the only one saying that in previous posts. Heck, you're saying the same thing right here. Kinda like asking "what's the best car out there?"....for what? a family? a single person? a race? to tow a boat with and still outrun the competition? to be in a demolition derby? for the money? for the features? for good customer service after the sale?......I could go on all night you know......

See my point? I think even the people that disagree with each other are trying to answer the question using their opinion/experiences, but the initial poster has been too vague to finalize the answers. Until he is clearer with his request, all we have is a bunch of people shouting out who they think the best is during a certain situation. Is it his situation???? That's up to him to tell everyone else.

Last edited by jmecbr900; 11-26-03 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-26-03, 04:14 PM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

I myself have a single 13w7 in my SC. Lets just say im happy. I posted pics of my trunk somewhere around here sometime.
Old 11-27-03, 12:20 AM
binelus
Pole Position

Originally posted by jmecbr900
Who is YOU GUYS?

I agree with you that he's not clear, but honestly...he has to answer a bunch of questions that have been asked here and he has not answered a single one. The only thing the initial poster has clearly stated is that he wants bass. Fine then, put 3 15's and a big amp and presto...you have bass. Don't have the room? Don't have the money? Sounds like crap? Well, that changes the answer then, huh?

It's impossible to answer such a vague question with a simple answer. I'm not the only one saying that in previous posts. Heck, you're saying the same thing right here. Kinda like asking "what's the best car out there?"....for what? a family? a single person? a race? to tow a boat with and still outrun the competition? to be in a demolition derby? for the money? for the features? for good customer service after the sale?......I could go on all night you know......

See my point? I think even the people that disagree with each other are trying to answer the question using their opinion/experiences, but the initial poster has been too vague to finalize the answers. Until he is clearer with his request, all we have is a bunch of people shouting out who they think the best is during a certain situation. Is it his situation???? That's up to him to tell everyone else.
ok now wtf you guy wanted to know ? I ask initially about what was the difference between 2 12 and a 1 15 in sound and all ! I didn't talk about money and all that s***, who gives, it's not a problem ! I got my answer now it's ok. I see that some o'ya have experience and some o'ya don't but the initial thing was just to ask about a difference in sound....
Old 11-27-03, 12:39 AM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by engin_ear
You've got to be kidding me. Like Funkmaster Flex has some sort of technical credentials??? Give me a break. He can spend a lot of money on gear. The guy has his own signature shoe line (Lugz), so does that make him a sneaker expert too?
lol yes it does make him a sneaker expert lol
Old 11-27-03, 08:02 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by binelus
ok now wtf you guy wanted to know ? I ask initially about what was the difference between 2 12 and a 1 15 in sound and all ! I didn't talk about money and all that s***, who gives, it's not a problem ! I got my answer now it's ok. I see that some o'ya have experience and some o'ya don't but the initial thing was just to ask about a difference in sound....
First of all, you don't know me so I'd suggest you take a chill pill before you look silly.

Second, you're question has been answered since the first few posts IF you really wanted to know ONLY sound difference between the two sizes. Contrary to your statement above, you continued asking the questions that could ONLY be answered correctly IF you gave additional info. This is what started people debating back and forth because we all had to ASSUME the missing info and everyone went in different directions.

I find it hard to believe that money is not an issue based on your choice of speaker. If money was really no object, you picked the wrong speaker for your teeth rattling out of 1 speaker desires. You should have chosen a JL 7, Diamond TDX, Orion H2, etc. Then IF money is no object, you should have chosen an amp from the likes of JL, Diamond, Orion, JBL, etc...

Maybe a better question would have been: "Guys, I have an Audiobahn 15 sub and X amp. How can make it THAT hit hardest?" I'm sure even those that disagreed with each other would have given you better info to use than debate back and forth.

BTW, did you post this same question on another 2 forums under a different name?

Last edited by jmecbr900; 11-27-03 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-27-03, 11:25 AM
binelus
Pole Position

Originally posted by jmecbr900
First of all, you don't know me so I'd suggest you take a chill pill before you look silly.

Second, you're question has been answered since the first few posts IF you really wanted to know ONLY sound difference between the two sizes. Contrary to your statement above, you continued asking the questions that could ONLY be answered correctly IF you gave additional info. This is what started people debating back and forth because we all had to ASSUME the missing info and everyone went in different directions.

I find it hard to believe that money is not an issue based on your choice of speaker. If money was really no object, you picked the wrong speaker for your teeth rattling out of 1 speaker desires. You should have chosen a JL 7, Diamond TDX, Orion H2, etc. Then IF money is no object, you should have chosen an amp from the likes of JL, Diamond, Orion, JBL, etc...

Maybe a better question would have been: "Guys, I have an Audiobahn 15 sub and X amp. How can make it THAT hit hardest?" I'm sure even those that disagreed with each other would have given you better info to use than debate back and forth.

BTW, did you post this same question on another 2 forums under a different name?
I am not trying to be silly. Check this out. It all started when a friend of mine wanted to sell me a 15 inch Audiobahn sub with an Audiobahn amplifier. I thought it could be ok. But the thing is, I only experimented dual 12, and I thought about asking u guys that have more experience in sound if their was a difference. Now I came up and said that I'd probably hit the Audiobahn sub with the JBL amplifier. Now you are telling me that I was not giving information. Did you ask something. Ok look, I didn't post nothing in another forum in a different name. Now let's just stop that s*** and answer properly:

Is it good if I take the 15 inch Audiobahn ALUM15Q sub with the JBL1200.1 amp ?

I think it's good !

The JL Audio sub is a 12 yeah but I would think that i'd be more than enough to have the Audiobahn ! Same thing with the amp. I'll pay less for the JBL amp and get more power out of it.

I didn't say I know or nothing like that but I was wondering about what was the point. Now is there something else you want to know or any OTHER suggestions that you wanna give me ?

Old 11-27-03, 02:24 PM
GaryDell
Rookie

Is English your primary language?
Old 11-27-03, 02:43 PM
Wide LS
Lead Lap

LOL
Old 11-27-03, 03:25 PM
binelus
Pole Position

Originally posted by GaryDell
Is English your primary language?
no do you have a problem with that ? I am from Canada by the way.
Old 11-27-03, 04:12 PM
GaryDell
Rookie

I don't have a problem with it, it's just fairly obvious. I do, however, dislike Canadians. I also dislike the French. Are you French-Canadian? C'est malhereusement. It would also explain your whiny outburst...
Old 11-27-03, 10:49 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

you guys need to calm down.....now. we're lexus men, not honda boys.

Quick Reply: 2 x 12's or 1 x 15 ??