Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Tell Me It Isn't So !! My JL Sub Blew Out?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-03, 11:20 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Tell Me It Isn't So !! My JL Sub Blew Out?!

Guys, I need your help here. My JL IB4 sub isn't working anymore.

I have my JL 10" IB4 hooked up to the Kicker KX400.1 and I have it installed for about 8 months and everything works great until a few days ago.

The first signs that something was wrong

1) When I started playing some music(regular volume, not even semi-loud). I started to hear some crackling/vibration noises coming from the sub. BUT when I turned the volume up a notch the vibration/crackling goes away and the sub hits normal.

2)After like 2-3 hours of playing, my sub COMPLETELY shuts-off, no sound comes from it. I had that in the past, where I assume the amp got too hot and turns off by itself to prevent overheating. In the past when that happens, I wait like an hour and played music again, and the sub works just fine.

Today's Incident:

1) I didn't drive my car for about 2 days. I turned on my car and try playing music, NO SOUND from the woofer. Then, I turned up the volume to semi-loud, the sub plays again, turned it back down to soft, no sound comes from the sub??

2) Drove around for an hour and the sub completely shutsoff, no sound from soft to semi-loud, to loud?!

I never play my music extremely loud, just loud enough where I can hear good bass. I went to check my amp and the green light was on, so I assume my AMP is alright.

You guys have any tips to give me to see what really is wrong??

I have 3 amps going to my system, two jl audio 300/2 to run my dynaudio's and my headunit is the alpine iva-c800, I am pretty sure its not something to do with the installation since I have my system for around 8-10 months.

Suggestions??
Old 11-20-03, 11:30 AM
jdmaristo
Driver

try checking the amp that goes to the sub
Old 11-20-03, 12:37 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by jdmaristo
try checking the amp that goes to the sub
Thanks for the reply. I checked the amp, it still has the green light indicating it is powered up. You mean checking the wiring ?
Old 11-20-03, 01:02 PM
GaryDell
Rookie

Manually push the cone of the subwoofer back towards the magnet. Listen for any sounds and reply...
Old 11-20-03, 04:02 PM
Carbon J
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try another speaker in place of the sub to eliminate the sub as the problem.
Old 11-20-03, 05:05 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by GaryDell
Manually push the cone of the subwoofer back towards the magnet. Listen for any sounds and reply...
What exactly would that do?

DEISELMAN: You have any other sub? You can try and connect your subwoofer amplifier to another speaker and see if it works (ghetto way to see if your amp is ok) or try to run your JL from one of the other amps you have. at least you will know that it is your sub tht is messed up for sure.
Old 11-21-03, 03:03 AM
darden
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Tell Me It Isn't So !! My JL Sub Blew Out?!

Originally posted by DIESELMAN63
Guys, I need your help here. My JL IB4 sub isn't working anymore.

I have my JL 10" IB4 hooked up to the Kicker KX400.1 and I have it installed for about 8 months and everything works great until a few days ago.

The Kicker KX400.1 puts out 200 watts at 4 ohms.

The JL 10" IB4 handles 100 watts.

Unless you have two JL 10" IB4 running off the Kicker Amp, I think you blew your sub...
Old 11-21-03, 03:17 AM
darden
Lexus Champion

actually, i am not sure what happened to your sub.

but the symptoms you described such as subs cutting off after 2-3 hours of playing, cracking sound going away after adjusting volume and etc should not happen at all.

something is not right with the setup. i have had subs in my cars for about 6 years with different amps and subs. i have never experienced any of your symptoms. anyway, definitely need to get it checked out by professionals.

if you had professionals install your stuff, they need to fix your stuff. things you describe should not happen at all especially under normal conditions.

just my $0.03.
Old 11-21-03, 04:06 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Thanks guys for the replies. If I am not mistaken, the Kicker KX400.1 goes well with the 10" IB4, since this sub is 8ohms, the amp should put out 100 watts at 8ohms right??

Also isn't it normal for an amp to run for a long time and shut off if its overheating? I remember reading this from here somewhere awhile ago?

I really hope it is loose wiring, I will check it this weekend
Old 11-21-03, 04:18 AM
darden
Lexus Champion

yeah, i am not sure if the amp blew the sub or not. probably did not if you are not overpowering the sub.

but something is definitely wrong with it since you get no sound now. as for me, i have driven on 6-8 hours straight in hot summer days with my bass pumping the whole way without the amp ever cutting off. that's why i think it's strange that your amp overheats and causing problems this often.

i really hope your stuff okay.

good luck.
Old 11-23-03, 04:02 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up whew!

I checked out the sub today, thank goodness it was a loose connection between the amp and the sub. I took the sub out to check it out and it was a PAIN IN THE A$$ to put it back in the stock hole for some reason. It doesn't align properly. I know there are a few people on here with the JL 10" IB4 and the kicker 400.1 amp, I was wondering what settings do you have on the amp?