Pics of my work in progress

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-03, 07:07 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Hameed
Whoa Jaime!!!!!

That system must ROCK big time!!!! Congrats!!! I guess I have my answer regarding the component speakers!

Are these the same speakers you got for the doors
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=18800

Is that a good price?
The system sounds pretty good so far. I'm gonna have to sit down for a couple of hours and tune it in a little. The HU allows me to preset 6 different user EQ settings, so I can presave settings for different kind of music/recordings w/o having to go back and fiddle too much with it. It has a ton of features that I have to go in and play with. So far, the sound is very sharp on the mid to high side. The bass sounds tight in some songs, hard to control on others. I know that it's because the amps AND the HU have adjustments that have to be in sync with each other. We also just played with it for a few minutes the other night when it finally was powered up that I know some of the frequencies are off.

Yes, those are the HEX components I used all the way around. They sound very good to me. They are very well constructed, but more importantly they are accurate. I would highly recommend them. They are a bit pricey. I believe real retail on them is around $550/pr. I could ask my guy at the shop how much he would get me another set for (my cost) and I could pm you before you buy off ebay. The price on the ones on the ebay link are not far off from full retail cost, but do have a couple of caps thrown into the mix which are probably worth about $100-150 by themselves. I'll find out for you on Monday.

BTW, the wife who is NOT into anything that has to do with cars at ALL really liked the install so far. She LOVES the way it sounds. She just smiles and says "dang that's so clear!". That's kind of a neat compliment eventhough she knows nothing about the stuff. She definetly liked the color scheme. At first she fought me tooth and nail about painting the wood grain, but when she saw it she liked it and recanted her story. I know that YOU Hameed would understand what it means when the WIFE likes what you're doing to the car......
Old 11-23-03, 09:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Originally posted by jmecbr900
BTW, the wife who is NOT into anything that has to do with cars at ALL really liked the install so far. She LOVES the way it sounds. She just smiles and says "dang that's so clear!".
Did she really say "dang"?

I know that YOU Hameed would understand what it means when the WIFE likes what you're doing to the car......
WAF (wife approval factor) is very important!
Old 11-23-03, 09:25 AM
Aristor
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice install, I love how you did on the rear deck.
Old 11-23-03, 10:18 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 311 Likes on 189 Posts

Yes, those are the HEX components I used all the way around. They sound very good to me. They are very well constructed, but more importantly they are accurate. I would highly recommend them. They are a bit pricey. I believe real retail on them is around $550/pr. I could ask my guy at the shop how much he would get me another set for (my cost) and I could pm you before you buy off ebay. The price on the ones on the ebay link are not far off from full retail cost, but do have a couple of caps thrown into the mix which are probably worth about $100-150 by themselves. I'll find out for you on Monday.
That would be great, please let me know! What is the function of the caps anyway? Where would those be installed?

BTW, the wife who is NOT into anything that has to do with cars at ALL really liked the install so far. She LOVES the way it sounds. She just smiles and says "dang that's so clear!". That's kind of a neat compliment eventhough she knows nothing about the stuff. She definetly liked the color scheme. At first she fought me tooth and nail about painting the wood grain, but when she saw it she liked it and recanted her story. I know that YOU Hameed would understand what it means when the WIFE likes what you're doing to the car......
You bet bro! The WAF is quite significant and if it is high it easy to spend big funds without so much as any lifting of eyebrows!

Last edited by Hameed; 11-23-03 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-23-03, 11:55 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Hameed
That would be great, please let me know! What is the function of the caps anyway? Where would those be installed?

You bet bro! The WAF is quite significant and if it is high it easy to spend big funds without so much as any lifting of eyebrows!
Hameed: The caps act as mini super efficient batteries that are installed in-line downstream between the regular car battery and the amp(s). During times when the music demands higher current draw from the amp (i.e. strong bass notes) instead of pulling power from the car's battery, it pulls from the capacitor. Why? Because the capacitor can discharge it's power and recharge itself in milliseconds and do so a million times over and over. A car's regular battery is not designed to do that, therefore eventually after asking it to charge and discharge quickly it will kill it. The capacitor gets it's power from the car's electrical system but discharges it to the amps as needed. It's very good to have in lieu of a higher power alternator which is the only other solution to overtaxing the car's electrical system with too much amperage draw.

That's great Bit.....WAF. Some of our single friends won't be able to understand that term. Too funny! BTW, Joan did say "dang". She doesn't curse very often. She does like the stereo stuff. It takes a lot to impress her when it comes to car stuff. I could install a supercharger on the car and she would say "that's nice". NOW, install some nice curtains at the house and she googoos and gagas for weeks.....Go figure .
Old 11-23-03, 11:57 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Aristor
Nice install, I love how you did on the rear deck.
Thank you.
Old 11-23-03, 04:45 PM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very very impressive work. I really love the sleak look of the black in the trunk. Once you put some monitors in the lid it wil be just awesome. Again good job!
Old 11-23-03, 06:53 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking good!
Old 11-23-03, 08:03 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks guys.

Guess what happened though......I REALLY think I'm cursed right now.....

My stocker battery took a dump. I think the 3 weeks of constant draining without any movement did her in. It was the stocker Lexus, so I kinda wasn't surprised. That's not the problem.

When I installed the Yellow top battery.....the HU went into "safe" mode....the damn thing thinks I stole it, so now it doesn't power up. Just displays "SAFETY" and some letters. I have to wait until tommorow to call Eclipse and get the code to deactivate the safety feature. Great if a thief took it....not so much when it thinks I'M the thief....

I'm telling yall, I really must of pissed off a witch somewhere.
Old 11-24-03, 03:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

That's great Bit.....WAF.
That TLA (three letter acronym) is actually from the online home theater forums who talk about it constantly, especially with home speakers where wifes almost universally want to not notice their presence if ya know what I mean. Ever noticed on those HGTV shows that there's either NO TV or a tiny one in a corner cabinet? WTF? In my new house I've moved the damn fireplace to the corner so I can have a big TV *CENTERED*. THATS'S what I'm talkin' about. In my case I've got multiple WAF waivers because she's getting a barn built the way she wants!
Old 11-24-03, 04:11 AM
LexFather

Wow that looks awesome! Can't wait to see in person.
Old 11-24-03, 07:02 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by bitkahuna
That TLA (three letter acronym) is actually from the online home theater forums who talk about it constantly, especially with home speakers where wifes almost universally want to not notice their presence if ya know what I mean. Ever noticed on those HGTV shows that there's either NO TV or a tiny one in a corner cabinet? WTF? In my new house I've moved the damn fireplace to the corner so I can have a big TV *CENTERED*. THATS'S what I'm talkin' about. In my case I've got multiple WAF waivers because she's getting a barn built the way she wants!
I follow totally. My WAF waivers come from custom curtains in several rooms. I still have a couple of things that I can get w/o too much debate.

Actually, she's pretty good about stuff. There's usually not much debate from either side of the table. I'm lucky.

Take it from me....plan carefully BEFORE you start building and leave yourself room for growth later. That's great about plans for the TV. I did that when I finished the basement and it totally has worked out so far. It will save tons of headaches later.
Old 11-24-03, 07:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Take it from me....plan carefully BEFORE you start building and leave yourself room for growth later.
We should be receiving 'final' plans for approval on Wed. Any chance we can get together before next Monday (I know it's Thanksgiving so I'll understand if that's out)? I'd love your feedback.
Old 11-24-03, 08:17 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by bitkahuna
We should be receiving 'final' plans for approval on Wed. Any chance we can get together before next Monday (I know it's Thanksgiving so I'll understand if that's out)? I'd love your feedback.
Call me. I have company coming in from out of town on Friday, but I should be around this weekend.