Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Clarion VRX815 Mobile Video Headunit Installed finally!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-03, 12:10 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Lightbulb Clarion VRX815 Mobile Video Headunit Installed finally!

Well almost. Its being done at four central today at Circuit City. I was gonna do it myself but someone offered to pay for the install so ohh well. Pics to follow this evening.
For those that don't know what the hell I'm rambling about, I originally had a Lincoln NAvi I was gonna install but later sold it for what I considered a better deal. Now I'm gonna do the clarion vrx815 unit which is a 7" touchscreen cd headunit, but with the addition of the Xbox for DVD video. I've got everything needed to do the install. Even with the remote power switch for the Xbox (which will be in the trunk) and the inverter etc etc. Like I said, pics to follow l8tr on tonight.
V
Old 12-01-03, 12:12 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Also I will add the Kenwood DVD NAvi unit right after Christmas so we'll have DVD NAvi in the ES as well. I'll do a write up on that one soon as I get my hands on the unit. BTW here is a shot of the Clarion on a civic.

Old 12-01-03, 12:23 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default why clarion?

If you had plans to go with the kenwood nav, then why didn't you go with the kvt911dvd.Since you got the clarion unit, the nav will be missing a very cool function; touchscreen.Your clarion can't control the touchscreen features of the nav. And now your going to have 2 remotes instead of one.BTW,I'm not trying knock what your doing, but I thought I would make you aware of the other option you have.The clarion headrests monitors are good screens, and are perfect size for viewing.
Old 12-02-03, 01:04 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

A simple reason I went with the Clarion over the KEnwood 911 is that I saved about 4 to 500 dollars and got all the stuff I needed to have the eqivalent. PLUS the Clarion is 7" vs. the Kenwoods miniscule 6.5". I also gained the valuable Xbox for DVD which can be upgraded to unfair advantages (ex 200 GB hard drive partitioned 1/2 for DVD movies stored and the other for unlimited Mp3z...just use the new Windows Media Player for it and you're all set)... www.xbox-scene.com

Also I got my TV tuner for 20.00 so I ain't mad about it at all!

On with the show...

THe only gringe is the Circuit City guy refused to install the feature that lets me watch video unless the parking brake is up which sux @zz and which hampers my VCD feature. Which also means no X-Box unitl this crap can get fixed. And another thing, the dimming funciton wasn't done properly. He must have forgot some wires cuz the unit won't dim when I hit the HIDZ. I'll have to I go back there tomorrow to fix the tidbits that mean the most. After this, the DVD feature will be added to what I consider an already killer system. Which reminds me...I'm also in need of a good 4 channel amp for my interior speakers. We had to chunk the factory amp in order to install the brain box which houses all of A/v hookups. Any suggestions? I'm rambling now so its bedtime for me. Good night.

Last edited by tiguy99; 12-02-03 at 01:07 AM.
Old 12-05-03, 07:40 AM
aznxteddy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea i guess circuit city, they arent allowed to make it work while driving, just bring it to any local audio video shop, they'll do it! Yea another thing about the kenwood, I heard that its not fully motorized either. But i am not too sure.
Old 12-05-03, 10:06 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

You're right it isn't. Update:::::::::::::::::::::::::

I got the dimming functions fixed yesterday. Apparently, the installer forgot to wire up the dimming wire so what would happen was whenever I would hit the light switch, the screen would stay the same brightness level. So I would constantly be adjusting the brightness (which is a pain going through different menus with the touch screen everyday) from dimm at night to bright during the day. Now that that's fixed, the cheif installer there todl me to ground the wire that goes to the parking break. Since its hooked up to the A/V brain box under the seat, I shoudl have no problemo fixing the video while driving function. One more thing, I just discovered my 100watt inverter is too weak to power up my Xbox. What power rating do you guys prefer for that? I need it so we can do this road trip in two weeks. We gotta watch X-2 on my way to Chicago from Champaign! (2.5 hour drive; I'll drive listen to audio while my friends catch the flick) Thanks

Last edited by tiguy99; 12-05-03 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-05-03, 11:11 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the clarion!!!!
Old 12-05-03, 06:07 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The parking break thing can be easily bypassed. On most units you can just ground it and you can watch whatever you want without your handbreak on. Also, don't let CC do your install. If you have to go with large chain store, go with Tweeter instead.