Sponsored by:

XTANT Subs...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-03, 01:54 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XTANT Subs...2-10's vs 1-12

I just got a deal on 2-10" XTANT subs. I still have the Kicker 12 but I think 2 ported 10's will hit harder than 1 free-air 12.

I know that XTANT and MTX are now the same company, Mitek, I think...

Has anyone ever compared XTANT to any other sub? What was the size? ?I know there is a thread on 2-12's versus one 15 but has anyone compared 2-10's to 1-12

Thanks.

Last edited by TwentyTen; 12-21-03 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-03-03, 05:07 AM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure that even 1 10 inch sub in a ported box would hit harder than any free-air sub. from what ive heard.....free-airs are nice if you dont want loud bass, but nice midbass...... Of course, take my advice lightly, im not really sure of what im saying!
Old 12-03-03, 12:12 PM
JUSROLLIN
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two tens in THE RIGHT SIZE ported box will definately sound better than a single free air twelve. As far as Extant, there subs are OK. I would put them in the same area as the RF punch series. Their not the cream of the crop, but there not the bottom of the barrel either.
Brandon

Last edited by JUSROLLIN; 12-03-03 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-21-03, 12:01 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Thanks!

Is this true? Sealed boxes promote tighter bass and ported boxes have deeper bass?
Old 12-21-03, 04:30 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I usually only step in when complitely wrong advices are given and in this thread everything that was said is wrong.
First of all an IB 12 will give a ported 10 a run for it's money in terms of SPL numbers.
Secondly, IB setups can get extrimely loud and mostly hit lower notes then ported or sealed boxes. They often will seem louder then ported setups due to the lower frequency output.
Thirdly, Xtant are much better sound quality woofers then RF. Not saying they are better built quality but they do sound better.

Darius. Two 10's might hit harder but then again they won't be shooting straight into the cabin like your 12 does. While you might get the gain in SPL, the bass would most likely from the front of the car to the trunk area so that might be a tradeoff. I would just get a good quality IB 12 instead.
Old 12-21-03, 02:40 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by retrodrive
I usually only step in when complitely wrong advices are given and in this thread everything that was said is wrong.
First of all an IB 12 will give a ported 10 a run for it's money in terms of SPL numbers.
Secondly, IB setups can get extrimely loud and mostly hit lower notes then ported or sealed boxes. They often will seem louder then ported setups due to the lower frequency output.
Thirdly, Xtant are much better sound quality woofers then RF. Not saying they are better built quality but they do sound better.

Darius. Two 10's might hit harder but then again they won't be shooting straight into the cabin like your 12 does. While you might get the gain in SPL, the bass would most likely from the front of the car to the trunk area so that might be a tradeoff. I would just get a good quality IB 12 instead.
Thanks Retro. As always, an infinite source of knowledge
I didn't understand what you meant here:
While you might get the gain in SPL, the bass would most likely from the front of the car to the trunk area so that might be a tradeoff.
Thanks for explaining - I appreciate your patience while I learn.
Old 12-22-03, 05:07 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Basically with sub shooting straight into the cabin being installed into the rear deck hole, it is much easier to bring the bass in the front of the cabin. To do that you can experement with 12/24 x-over switch on your amp as well as changing the polarity on the sub (switching subwoofer wire from + to - and vice versa).
With 2 subs in the trunk the overall bass output (SPL) might go up. At the same time it might be hard to get it in the front of the cabin since those subs are not going to shoot directly inside cabin. You might also have more rattles that will pull the bass location to their origin. Most likely it will be a tradeoff. You will have more bass output but it is going to be in the trunk.
Old 12-23-03, 11:26 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Okay, I think you just answered another question for me. I have the 2 xtants in a Qlogic box that fits PERFECTLY on theat little lip in the trunk. I planned to face them toward the back seat with the stock speaker hole OPEN.

I would then build a false wall in the trunk that spans the width of the trunk ledge. This serves 2 purposes; It would keep the sub box invisible to people passing by when I'm loading groceries or doing anything in the trunk and it would force the sound waves/air into the cabin through the rear deck hole.

My concern is that it seems like I would be placing a box inside a box and I don't know what kind of effect that will have on the sound. ???. But I guess it would be that way in the trunk too, the trunk would just be a bigger box.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Darius