Sponsored by:

stock pioneer amp

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-03, 05:26 PM
roller400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock pioneer amp

This might be wishful thinking, but does the stock GS400 amp have signal line outs?
Old 12-04-03, 02:56 PM
TimDimman
Pole Position

YES!

But they're hard to get to...

Are you an electronics guy? TecKis300 and I found solder points to get line level information. Post processing, meaning, we couldn't find full range front/rear (though they are probably there...) but we did find crossed front/rear with sub output (5 outputs total +1 for SGND).

Hopefully BananaGS will confirm (second attempt) sometime over the holidays, with a write up to follow.

Tim
Old 12-04-03, 07:17 PM
roller400
Rookie

Thanks, but I was actually, I was talking about RCA line outs, where I could just plug rca plugs from the stock amp into a aftermarket amp, and just hook up the speaker wires from there. So I guess there are no RCA line outs from the pioneer amp. Would you happen to know if there are DIN plugs with RCA jacks, which would mate with the connectors from the stock head unit?
Old 12-05-03, 01:20 PM
TimDimman
Pole Position

Not sure what system you have...but CD switching is done internal to the amp (has its benefits) instead of in the head unit...there are no easy solutions. There are line level outputs, but you have to add your own RCA's, just like the amp.

We had to solder wires, with RCA ends to the PCB of the amp to get line level info. You can probably use a switch before the amp to add aux input to the system (on the CD signal wires)??? This is my next project.

Sorry. Nothing is easy...

Tim
Old 12-25-03, 11:27 AM
rjheard
Driver

Originally posted by TimDimman
Not sure what system you have...but CD switching is done internal to the amp (has its benefits) instead of in the head unit...there are no easy solutions. There are line level outputs, but you have to add your own RCA's, just like the amp.

We had to solder wires, with RCA ends to the PCB of the amp to get line level info. You can probably use a switch before the amp to add aux input to the system (on the CD signal wires)??? This is my next project.

Sorry. Nothing is easy...

Tim
So does this mean that if I use an aftermarket amp with input out of the headunit before the factory amp I will not be able to select between my CD/Radio as I do now? Do you have a diagram or location of the connections you soldered the RCA's to.
Old 12-26-03, 08:58 AM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

why cant you just take the wires from the amp that lead to the sub and use a line level converter to turn them into RCA's?? But then again, maybe I am just missing the whole point here?
Old 12-26-03, 09:36 AM
rjheard
Driver

Originally posted by Pirate400
why cant you just take the wires from the amp that lead to the sub and use a line level converter to turn them into RCA's?? But then again, maybe I am just missing the whole point here?
You would be able to get a cleaner signal with low level inputs.
Old 12-27-03, 04:49 PM
TimDimman
Pole Position

Originally posted by rjheard
So does this mean that if I use an aftermarket amp with input out of the headunit before the factory amp I will not be able to select between my CD/Radio as I do now? Do you have a diagram or location of the connections you soldered the RCA's to.
Yes, that is correct.

If you hook up an amp, to the line outs of the OEM HU, you will be able to switch between AM/FM and Tape, using your amp, but you will not get a signal from the CD.

Tim
Old 12-27-03, 04:49 PM
TimDimman
Pole Position

Originally posted by Pirate400
Sorry, but yes, it was the whole point that was missed...

He wanted line level outputs, and was wondering if they came anywhere in the factory system...

Tim
Old 12-27-03, 04:50 PM
TimDimman
Pole Position

Originally posted by rjheard
You would be able to get a cleaner signal with low level inputs.
And, yes, definitely correct.

Tim