Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Figured out how to remove the damn cell phone!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-03, 06:14 PM
fc3s7
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Figured out how to remove the damn cell phone!

After piecing together small bits of information from all over the forum, I FINALLY figured out how to remove the stock cell phone mount from the center console.

All the info I found on the topic was VERY inconclusive and spotty - with pieces from a bunch of posts, I put all the parts together.

1. Open the center console. By the hinge on either side are 2 felt washers- they're rubber plugs covered by felt. Use a small flathead screwdriver to pop these off. Remove the 2 phillips head screws underneath.

2. Remove the phone handset itself - the cord just unplugs from the side like a regular phone jack.

3. On the base where the phone locks in to, you'll see 2 screws. Remove them. You'll also see 2 rubber nubs - this is Trick One. Pop these out with a pick or a small screwdriver to reveal screws underneath. Remove these.

4. The top part of the base will now come off. It will be stuck in place from years of contact - just wiggle and push on it until it pops off.

5. The cover should now come off relatively easily, revealing the sub-base underneath it. Yes, this is a multi-layered beast .

6. The sub-base will have screws at the corners holding it into the center console - remove these. This base will now pop off - again, it's VERY stuck on there, and you're gonna need to wiggle and push on it to get it to pop loose.

7. With that gone, you'll see a 10mm bolt under it - this is Trick 2. If you pry up the edge of the material lining the base of the center console, you'll see 2 more 10mm bolts - remove them all.

8. Remove the cupholder - put your fingers inside where the cup would go and pull up. Getting the front to pop up first helps - there's a little finesse here, but it's not too hard.

9. You can now remove the black plastic part of the center console - there are 2 clips on the front, and you may have to partially close the top to get the back part to clear and come off.

10. Unplug the harness going to the cell phone base - the plug itself is under the cupholder area.

You're done.

From what I've seen, you can order a new mat to line the bottom of the center console. Fabricating one wouldn't be that hard, either. I have no idea what the cost, availablility, or part number of the mat is.

There are 2 more pieces of the stock cell phone - the antenna on the rear glass, and the "brain" in the trunk. The brain is supposed to be inside the "wall" of the driver's side of the trunk - that's next. The signal for the passenger side speaker goes through the brain, so the in/out wires would have to be spliced together to keep the passenger speaker working. I'll be tackling that soon.

Anyhow, picture time. First is the whole base assembly, out of the car.

Dale
Attached Thumbnails Figured out how to remove the damn cell phone!-base1.jpg  
Old 12-03-03, 06:16 PM
fc3s7
Rookie

Next is the rubber plugs - they look just like vacuum caps. These really threw me, as I thought they were just feet for the phone to rest on.

Pop these out and remove the screws hidden beneath.
Attached Thumbnails Figured out how to remove the damn cell phone!-base2.jpg  
Old 12-03-03, 06:17 PM
fc3s7
Rookie

This is the outer "shell" of the base - with the top part removed, this should come off relatively easily.
Attached Thumbnails Figured out how to remove the damn cell phone!-base3.jpg  
Old 12-03-03, 06:18 PM
fc3s7
Rookie

And, finally, the inner "base" for the phone. Removing this reveals the VERY hidden 10mm bolt that was driving me nuts! You can see the jack for the phone to plug into and the harness.

Hope this helps! I knew this was driving me crazy, and I hated that base eating up a chunk of my storage!

Dale
Attached Thumbnails Figured out how to remove the damn cell phone!-base4.jpg  
Old 12-08-03, 04:11 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

don't forget about the stuff in the back.
Old 12-11-03, 04:55 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Can I ask why you went to such great lengths to remove the phone? I think the phones in our cars are awesome.. very prestigious and the hands free speakerphone system is great.
Old 12-11-03, 06:54 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SC400-V8
Can I ask why you went to such great lengths to remove the phone? I think the phones in our cars are awesome.. very prestigious and the hands free speakerphone system is great.
It takes up my center console place.
Old 12-12-03, 09:27 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

All i need to carry in my center console is a pack of gum (goes under the cellphone's talk-into part) a parking decal for school (is a small paper-thin emblem that fits near the top) and my sunglasses in their case (this fits right on the side and is held in place by the phone.) This works out beautifully for me. I dont ever carry any cargo or random ****e in the car, all that goes to the trunk. Ive gone to lengths of adding velcro strips to my first aid kit to keep it secured next to the cd changer.
Old 12-18-03, 08:59 AM
fc3s7
Rookie

There's no use for a 10+ year old cell phone that doesn't work to take up space in the car. It just clutters it up, not to mention the phone totally eats the center console. I don't like having junk in my car either, but the stuff I do keep or short-term carry in the car I like to have stowed and not sliding all over the place.

I haven't totally delved into removing the trunk "brain", but I did unplug the brain so the "beep" when you start the car from the cellphone is gone. Once the shop manual gets here I'll completely remove the brain - I believe the passenger side speaker loops through it, so that would need to be spliced together.

Dale