Sponsored by:

CD Player gone quite ?!??

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-03 | 06:24 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Default CD Player gone quite ?!??

Hey Guys,

Got in my 93 LS today and flipped over to CD and didn't hear anything although I could see the track playing in the LCD. thought it was strange so I flipped back to FM and everything works fine. Flipped back and again no sound coming from the CD Player. After playing around with it (changing out CDs) I noticed I could barely hear the CD player if I turned the volume to full blast.

Anyone heard of this of this problem?? Is there a fuse in the CD player itself? Does the CD player have a built in amp and maybe it has died?

All equipment is original and hasn't been altered, and I don't think I have ever even had the volume more than 1/2 way.

Really wierd... I can see it going out but the dam thing is playing and I can barely hear it when the volume is maxed out so it is still working in a way?!?!

thanks for the helps!!
Old 12-07-03 | 12:47 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

It sounds like it either needs to be cleaned or the laser has worn out. Unfortunately CD players do wear out after a while , your car is more than 10 years old so it wouldn't surprise me. At least your radio still works.
Old 12-07-03 | 11:21 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

I will try cleaning the lazer tommorow. I have done that a few times in the past but when the lazer is dirty is usually just skips a little especially when I hit a few bumps in the road.

This is so weird. Radio works fine and the CD Player is playing just no volume until I turn it all the way to MAX and then I can hear the CD playing but very quitely.

Wish I could get some more input from others here. Is it possible the AMP went out or blew a fuse in the CD player? But the volume works fine when in Radio mode?!

I don't know enough about the stock CD player (panasonic) to even quess at it.
Old 12-09-03 | 08:17 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

I cleaned the CD Player today with one of those cleaning CD's. Didn't fix the problem. Still no sound unless I turn the volume full blast, although the Radio works just fine?!?!?!

Are there any fuses in the CD Player box itself? Is there a built in amp? WTF.....
Old 12-12-03 | 12:23 AM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

I am missing the crap out of my CD player now. Somebody step up and take a stab at this problem, I am ready to try anything....
Old 12-12-03 | 07:03 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

if you can hear the music at a low coming from the cd changer then a new pcb board with the amp chip will do the trick.the cdx-m8036zt cd changer you have is one of the best ever made and worth fixing. its the pcb board with cnp2714 marked on the circuit board. the board is not any harder to remove then a new discs drive in a computer.a new one is around 100.00. better to get a whole new board then just trying to fix the chip gone bad.
Old 12-13-03 | 09:03 AM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Where can I get this board? And where is it located to remove inside the CD box the CD player is in the truck?
Old 12-13-03 | 02:58 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

SPX,YES THE BOARD IS INSIDE THE CHANGER IN THE TRUNK. SEND ME PM WITH YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS AND I WILL SEND PICTURES OF THE BOARD. THE CHIP THAT PROBABLY HAS GONE BAD IS CALLED THE "4 CHANNEL LINEAR DRIVER CHIP". I HAVE HAD SEVEAL OTHER CHANGERS WITH THE SAME BAD CHIP. I GUESS THEY ONLY LAST 10 YEARS MINIMUM. DOES YOUR CHANGER SKIP WITH ALL THOSE SUBS YOU HAVE? JUST WONDERING HOW MUCH VIBRATION THE CHANGER GETS. IT COULD HAVE JUST BROKEN A SOLDER JOINT. EXCUSE MY CAPS. I CAN SEE THE SCREEN BETTER. I AM NOT YELLING.
Old 12-15-03 | 02:15 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

OK I sent you a PM. And yes the CD Player skips but only when I play CDR's and I hit a pot hole. Store bought CD's play fine so I think that is a different problem. It even got a little better after I cleaned the lens.
Old 10-19-05 | 08:48 AM
philgood
Driver School Candidate

Default cdx-m8036zt problem

Originally Posted by lexusaudio
SPX,YES THE BOARD IS INSIDE THE CHANGER IN THE TRUNK. SEND ME PM WITH YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS AND I WILL SEND PICTURES OF THE BOARD. THE CHIP THAT PROBABLY HAS GONE BAD IS CALLED THE "4 CHANNEL LINEAR DRIVER CHIP". I HAVE HAD SEVEAL OTHER CHANGERS WITH THE SAME BAD CHIP. I GUESS THEY ONLY LAST 10 YEARS MINIMUM. DOES YOUR CHANGER SKIP WITH ALL THOSE SUBS YOU HAVE? JUST WONDERING HOW MUCH VIBRATION THE CHANGER GETS. IT COULD HAVE JUST BROKEN A SOLDER JOINT. EXCUSE MY CAPS. I CAN SEE THE SCREEN BETTER. I AM NOT YELLING.
I have the exact same problem as spx chrome, could you or chrome help me please?
Old 10-19-05 | 09:52 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Even though this thread is 2 years old lexusaudio was logged in today, so you might get lucky