Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

how to wire lights....

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-03 | 11:55 AM
kyle8744
Rookie

Default how to wire lights....

im not sure if this belongs here in the electronics forums or in the lighting forum, but here goes.

i have the stock head unit on my '96 ES300. the buttons that change CD on the CD changer and also which change the song are not lit up. Why the equilizer is lit up but not the track/CD change buttons is beyond me.

anyways, this has made it very hard for me to see to change the music at night. fumbling around in the dark for the button is not safe to do while driving. So i went to wal mart and bought a little light that plugs into the cigarette lighter outlet. it works OK for illumination, and doesnt really glare into my eyes because in my driving position, i do not view the light directly because it is blocked by my arm.

however, i would like a more permanent solution, as not only are the cupholder unusuable when the cigarette lighter tray is popped out, it just looks bad and breaks up the smooth contour of the dash. I have decided that I would like to add a couple of green neon tubes under the dash, not only to add illumination but to add atmosphere. I don't think it would look too ricey, and the green would match the green color of the backlit stereo and climate control displays.

My question is, how do i go about hard wiring lights such as these? the fuse box is in a conveinent location, just to the left of the steering wheel, so that should make it easier. But i'm just not sure how to go about it. I've searched online for a tutorial, prefrably with pictures, but all that i found was really vague instructions. Does anyone know of a good website about wiring car electronics for beginners?

thanks for your time.