Sponsored by:

ELECT. SHORT when brakes are applied

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-03, 04:49 PM
stromer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ELECT. SHORT when brakes are applied

I have a 94 SC300. Sometimes when I apply the brakes, the instrument lights and center consol lights go out for a second or two and come back on. Also the clock resets itself. to the same time as if the battery was disconnected. I suppose this happens because there is a short from the wiring from the battery to the wiring to the instrument panel.

Can any advise me if there is a junction box that I can inspect to make sure everything is secure.
Maybe the change in speed caused by applying the brakes causes something to come ajar.

I would appreciate any advice on how to diagnose this problem.

Another question. Why does the rear antenna sometimes change its amount of extension when I change FM stations and change from FM to AM. That is, sometimes when I change stations, the antenna goes up or down a little.

Thanks, RIck
Old 12-15-03, 11:58 PM
=BANKS=
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well a while back, i had the same problem with a short happening from the center unit, and radio as well as the lights goin out for a bit. I checked the wires and fuses and everything was ok. So I was stumped until my dad told me to check the distributor caps and rotors, and to my suprised they were all rusted and bad. SO i fixed that problem and ever since then no problems...So you might wanna check that as well.

As for the antenna going up and down when you change stations, thats for receiving the best reception possible.