Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Has anyone installed subs in the floor on a GS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-04, 09:01 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Has anyone installed subs in the floor on a GS?

Just about every install I have seen, including my own, has the subs mounted on the gas tank in the GS...some facing upright, some facing into the back seat, and most facing backwards.

Has anyone mounted them in the spare tire well facing straight up towards the rear deck lid? If so, how did it sound, how was the rattling, etc, etc, etc.?

I bought too much equipment, now Im trying to come up with the best way to mount it all.
Old 01-19-04, 09:31 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Has anyone installed subs in the floor on a GS?

Originally posted by TTurboPimp
I bought too much equipment, now Im trying to come up with the best way to mount it all.
Haha. Sorry. I don't have any suggestions but I can't wait to see what you come up with.
Old 01-19-04, 09:35 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

I bought too much equipment, now Im trying to come up with the best way to mount it all
Thats a terrible problem to have isn't it!!
Old 01-20-04, 06:17 AM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many subs did you buy?
Old 01-20-04, 12:50 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

I only have two subs....10W7's....the problem is the equipment, amps, caps, etc, etc.
Old 01-20-04, 02:06 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

I got your solution, you can either do it the way i did, or like airtrackk.

First off, what I did:

I mounted the subs facing upwards,

then i had a custom cover for the box made with a lexus emblem, this also gives a stealth appearance to anyone peering into your trunk:

Location 1: I put my amp here, there is a place under the cover of the base of the trunk where you can fit a decent sized amp.

Location 2: the easy way: take out your spare tire and have a guy build you a simple amp rack

The nice way: Take out your spare, make a plexiglass/mdf/carpet shelf and show it off.

Location 3: This is another place where you might be able to fit an amp, wires, or cap.

Second option, which i would choose:

Make a custom rack for your amps cover it in something and mount the subs like this, this way you will show off your amps and subs, and you can still put other junk like the capacitor and cables in compartment 1 and 3, even 2 if you take the spare out.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-20-04, 02:13 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Yeah, I have went through all of those options before posting...thanks for trying to help though.

I have three amps...two big *** ones.

JL450/4, JL1000/1, and a JL300/2....if I put all three of these amps side by side, they literally take up the entire lenght of the trunk...which is fine. BUT, I also have a PG 15 farad powercore, which is about the size of a medium size two channel amp, and a PG distribution center....decent sized also.

I dont really want side amp racks, I just took my old set up out that had them....room reasons, but I also want to show off all of the equipment. If I was to use the spare tire well to build the sub box off of, I could make an entire raised floor with amps and subs mounted at the same height......problem is what will the subs sound like there?????

Im just going to have to keep playing with it until i get something i like.
Old 01-21-04, 09:05 AM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

i have the 12w7s. have you thought about mounting them in your rear deck lid? thats where i am thinkin about doin it. You have to refabricate your rear deck and of course reinforce it...but it will be very loud clean bass.
Old 01-21-04, 10:05 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may be wrong, but I don't think you're not gonna like the performance if you mount them in the well. Down in there, you will have to get some really good Dynamat down in there, even then I think you would rattle pretty good because of the proximity to other under car things.

Since you're willing to give up the spare well anyway....why not mount the amps in there? Maybe mount the cap on one corner of the trunk, and the distribution block on the other. Or maybe do the subs diagonally raised from the two corners of the trunk and everything else in the middle sunken down into the well, kinda like a big U shape. Or maybe you could mount the subs facing back at a downward angle with the big mack daddy amp embedded between them using either fiberglass or a false floor and then mounting the remaining amps, cap, and distribution in the well. Kinda like the subs are looking "down" at the amps.....you know?

Just ideas. I think that you will probably regret mounting those beefy subs with that much power in a space that will probably rattle a ton of other things.
Old 01-25-04, 07:17 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

you can always do what i did, i got the navigation/battery/2 caps/ all wiring/ compents eqiupments/lots of 4 guage wiring/dynamat/fuse holders/wire distributors. etc. etc. buried under all the fiberglass. and oh ya no rattling at all except in rear spoiler which i am remoiving asap. thanks
rick

Old 01-25-04, 07:26 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice install.
Old 01-25-04, 11:39 PM
GS4ADRLexo
Driver

I know you said you want the subs in the spare tire well to be different, but I personally think that the rattling would be a major issue. I can totally visualize what I would like this to look like if it was my car, but it's going to be difficult to describe this because my photo editing software is fouled up! This is my vision:

Both subs facing the front of the car...the boxes would be totally independent of one another and be up against both sides of the rear shelf. It might be easier to build this whole thing as one structure. Plexiglass would be a nice touch since I know you like to show your car...show off them magnets! I wouldn't do full on plexi boxes per say, but maybe 8"x8" plexi viewing windows for each box. The PG cap would be placed in the middle of them, flushmounted and covered in plexi that is at the same depth as the boxes. In other words, the finished structure of the boxes and the mounting board for the PG cap would all be the same depth (by depth I am talking measuring from the front to the back of the car). I think this would look pretty damn awesome...god I wish I could show you what I mean. You would effectively have three plexi windows all framed by whatever type of finishing material you want.

For the remaining three amps, I would go with the angled approach. I am going to attach a picture of my car as I am pretty happy with the way the angles worked out, but if you are going to flush mount an amp above the spare tire well I would make it so that the side pieces meet the bottom piece at an angle. Looking at my picture hopefully you see what I mean...mine meets at a 90 degree and then angles after going straight up about 2". In my case this worked better, but with flush mounting the floor would be raised up a little and I personally think that an angled meeting point would work. The 1000/1 would definately be the one to put down below. Again, plexi covering it as well as the two other amps on the side. It would be pretty sick if you had the plexi etched to have "LEXUS" in the trademark font over the 1000/1 and some kind of little touch to the side amps. Thinking about it in my head though, it might be cleaner without the etching on the plexi for the side amps...your call You can see in my pic that I had some "vents" cut out of the plexi for my amps...something like that might be cool.

Distribution center would go on top of the 1000/1 flushmounted in the floor, and again be covered by plexi (On top meaning if you are looking in the trunk, it would be more towards the front of the car than the 1000/1). Top this all off with some neon and you have a show-stopper!

Hope this made at least some sense...I really didn't want this to come off as me pushing my vision on you, but to me this seems like the best balance between cleanliness and WOW factor with this goruping of equipment. This could all be done with simple MDF and would not require the use of fiberglass...of course, the sky is the limit for the shape of the enclosures and surrounding pieces if you want to go the fiberglass route. Of course, as you know, the pricing for the install will also skyrocket.

Whew, if you read all that let me know what you think Good luck.

Last edited by GS4ADRLexo; 01-25-04 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-25-04, 11:44 PM
GS4ADRLexo
Driver

Forgot the attachment Maybe this will, at worst, give you more ideas?
Attached Thumbnails Has anyone installed subs in the floor on a GS?-untitled.jpg