Sponsored by:

Need install ideas for 2 12"s in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-04, 06:47 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need install ideas for 2 12"s in trunk

Like the subject says, I've got two 12" subs looking for a home in my trunk - I currently have them in a MASSIVE, generic rectangular box that I had in my Jeep. Translation - NO trunk space. They're audiobahn subs, so more geared toward SPL rather than SQ and need lots of room (I think around 2 cubic feet each). I have some ideas in my head, but I want to see what others have done in there cars before starting to build. Post pics if you've got them, please! Thanks!!

Last edited by RSTSpeed; 01-23-04 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-24-04, 11:12 AM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

I have an SC400 so I know that your trunk space is limited. If they are SPL type subs you probably want to put them in a ported box but that will take more space. I guess just try and build to fit the form of your trunk and you may pick up some extra cubic inches and keep some trunk space. Can you post a pic of how they are now.
How are you running them, ( like with a LC from the speaker line for the factory sub.
Oh also I am assuming you have allready done this but get rid of the old sub to let some more bass to the cabin.
Old 01-24-04, 11:14 AM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

Sorry just re read your sig for get about the how did you run the sub thing.
Old 01-24-04, 11:40 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

You're right about a ported box; that's what they're in now. I'll take pics later today or tomorrow. Yes, old sub is long gone, and they get signal from pre-amp outputs from the cd player. I plan on "custom" building it to fit my trunk, but right now I've got 3 ideas on how to do it: 1) take out the spare tire and make an upward-firing box, 2) make 2 boxes - one for each corner of the trunk (like where the cd changer used to be and the opposite side), and 3) make a truck-style box that would fit against the gas tank.
Old 01-24-04, 02:01 PM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

I don't think the truck style box will sound good with those subs. With 2 seperate boxes the porting is harder and I think that if you work the numbers they will still be pretty big. If you don't need your spare tire then that is the best way to go upward firing and ported is your best bet. But with the speakers facing upwards you still can't put anything in the trunk so that is sort of a waste.
Old 01-24-04, 02:31 PM
LexusPunk
Pole Position

unless you have plexi glass. I made mine custum and then put i nice plexi glass over the top. just have a towel to cover it if you dont want it to scratch( or just be careful).
Old 01-24-04, 03:00 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

hotboy - It won't be a truck box, but will have that shape of one, and fit around the gas tank. I would do the spare tire thing, but I do need it. Plexiglass would look really good, but it might comprimise the sound. I'll take a pic tomorrow and TRY to draw the outline of a box in paint - I don't have photoshop.
Old 01-26-04, 05:24 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Bump... anybody got any other ideas?