Sponsored by:

Rear Seat Entertainment - LS430

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-04 | 10:06 AM
Leeladisky
Lead Lap

Default Rear Seat Entertainment - LS430

All,

Hopefully you can assist me. I am looking to put a rear seat only system in my LS430 (i.e., no integration with the front Navi except I would like the Navi output to play on the rear seat monitors when no other signals are present). I would like the monitors to be touch screen, so here are my questions:

1) Is there a system that would support touch screen monitors in the headrests?
2) Can it be done cost effectively?
3) How can I display the Navi output on those monitors (what parts are required)?
4) IF it's not cost effective, what system/monitors do you recommend that would also allow for #3?

L

Last edited by Leeladisky; 01-31-04 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-31-04 | 10:10 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Very good question.
I would also like to know more about this.
Old 01-31-04 | 11:12 AM
Letsride

Arrow

I can give a little insight into some of this since I am undergoing a NAV project in a non Nav car. You can / should be able to get the NAV signal from the front screen to the rear monitors by tapping into the NAV signal cable. You will need some sort of signal switching unit to handle whats displayed on the screen. The touch screen part I have no idea about but I think all nav control should be handled from the front.

You will also need to review the schematic for your car to see how the integration will/can be acomplished.

Just my 2 cents......

Last edited by Letsride; 01-31-04 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-31-04 | 12:16 PM
LS007
Lead Lap

Default Re: Rear Seat Entertainment - LS430

Originally posted by Leeladisky
All,

Hopefully you can assist me. I am looking to put a rear seat only system in my LS430 (i.e., no integration with the front Navi except I would like the Navi output to play on the rear seat monitors when no other signals are present). I would like the monitors to be touch screen, so here are my questions:

1) Is there a system that would support touch screen monitors in the headrests?
2) Can it be done cost effectively?
3) How can I display the Navi output on those monitors (what parts are required)?
4) IF it's not cost effective, what system/monitors do you recommend that would also allow for #3?

L
1) By 'touch screen system do you mean a touch screen that could control everything, like radio, CD or DVD player (play / stop/ menus etc.)? I'm not aware of any touch screen monitors that can control radios or players, unlike touch screen head units that can. The discontinued Kenwood LZ series screens and the new Pioneer AVD-W6210 have touch screens. Although the touch screen on the Kenwood will control it's built-in TV tuner, picture controls (color, tint, etc.) and AV inputs selection, but not any Kenwood players - only the Kenwood navigation system. Pioneer's touch screen will control the Pioneer AVIC-80 navigation system only, not any players or your Lexus navigation system.
2) Yes, buying on Ebay or internet discounter. Find a good installer who knows what they are doing too (that might cost almost as much as the hardware!).
3) The trick to displaying navigation on rear screens would be to use monitors with RGB input w/composite sync. Pioneer, Alpine and probably Kenwood have these type of input plugs, but they are proprietary and will require you (or your installer) to build your own RGB input cable. The Lexus navigation RGB+Sync wires could be tapped into at the navigation computer or navigation display. The monitors would then need to select the RGB input to display the navigation screen (no touch screen functionality). One problem is your existing Lexus navigation screen will be slightly dimmer with each additional monitor you tap in this way. Still very usable, but might need to adjust your navi brightness up to compensate.
4) See #2 above for recommended RGB+composite sync. input monitors. Another touch screen monitor for cars is made by Xenarc, but this is for putting a 'CarPC' in and using the touch screen like a mouse. Other than that you might want to skip 'touch screens' and then you will have many more choices for rear seat monitors, but still must have RGB inputs for navigation and those would be Alpine, Pioneer and Kenwood.

Did I earn my CL screen name with these answers?

Last edited by LS007; 01-31-04 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-31-04 | 04:59 PM
Letsride

Did I earn my CL screen name with these answers?
Yes you did

VN what do you recommend now for getting alternate video (eg: PS2, DVD etc) to the NAV screen since I cant find your original unit anymore?
Old 02-01-04 | 11:30 AM
LS007
Lead Lap

Funny you should ask. I'm working on a new complete conversion kit (no Pioneer part needed) that I estimate to sell between $250 and $300. I'd really like to make it plug and play, but finding the navigation connectors is very difficult.
Old 02-02-04 | 07:21 AM
Letsride

Finding those plugs will be a pain....trust me!!