Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Replacing Pioneer with Nakamichi in GS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-04, 08:50 AM
92 sc three
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing Pioneer with Nakamichi in GS?

Searched the threads & didn't find the answer to my questions. Is there a noticable difference in sound quality between the Pioneer and Nakamichi sytems in the second gen GS's? Is it worth changing out the components, i.e HU, Amp & Speakers? Lastly is it plug & play? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Dan
Old 02-01-04, 01:11 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

yes quite a difference and it is plug in and play if your car came with a cd changer from the factory. the nak radio actually has the control ***** for the rtrble and bas unlkike the pioneer system which has automatic sound levelizer system.
Old 02-01-04, 07:29 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

oops, the response was for a 98 gs switch. i guess your asking aboput a 92 sc. the answers the same. if your sc came with the cd changer from factory and p6800 radio(id number on cassette flap door)there is only a couple of wires to change to nak. if it never had a cd changer you would have a wiring problem as there is no rear 4 channell amp on the p1600 radio basic non cd button radio .
Old 02-01-04, 09:48 PM
92 sc three
Pole Position

Lexusaudio,

Thanks for the reply. This would be for for my 99 GS. Is there a noticable difference in the sound quality? Is it really worth doing? Those are my only two concerns after you had answered my plug & play question.

Thanks Again
Old 02-01-04, 10:18 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

yes its worth doing because of the asl system wqhich doesnt let you adjust the internal equalizer in the pioneer headunit.. plus the nak unit has an extra sensitive equalizer box made by nakamichi on the back of the cd changer . your pioneer cd changer can be used but it needs the nak equalizer with the addition of the nak port on the cd changer. so non need to gewt a whole new cd changer. the nak system changer also made by pioneer. only the exterenal equalizer was made by nakamichi.so you need the nak headunit and amp and the equalizer box and the sub. the 2 ohm front door also may need to be changed to 4 ohm speakers but any will do. dont have to be factory.
Old 02-02-04, 09:08 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If the switchover costs more than a grand, I would highly suggest aftermarket components. They sound much better than any of the stock Lexus systems. Also remember that the wiring harnesses as well as the speakers and head unit are different with the Nak than with the Pioneer.

Percy
Old 02-02-04, 07:18 PM
92 sc three
Pole Position

Percy,

Cost is a factor & I agree if it was $1000 or more it would not be worth doing. Is it verified that the Nak & Pioneer wiring harness are different? I was under the impression the harness and plugs were the same, with only the system components being different & and the interchange could be done if you used either the Nak or Pioneer systems exclusively. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 02-02-04, 07:47 PM
Percy

Dan,

From what I remember of the connector shell diagrams, the Nak and the Pioneer are QUITE different. Will have to dig up my "book" to verify, but more than likely (99%) it's going to be a different shell/connector design.

Percy
Old 02-02-04, 07:54 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

percy is the expert on aftermarket instalations and literrally has written the book on aftermarket lexus stereo systems. i have always deferred all questions about installing them to him. i only know about lexus factory audio systems and it is my understanding that there were only 2 wiring harnesses in the gs. one was the base model that did not have a cd changer ordered from the factory. it is not prewired even for a pioneer system cd changer. the 2nd harness was the one that had the option of pioneer system changer, or nakamichi system changer or nav system computer. look in the right side of the trunk under the carpeting should be a place where the nak amp or the navigation system computer would plug in. see if you can find a set of 4 connctors orange black greeen and white. if so your car has the advance wiring harness that could support either nakamichi or retofitting a navigation system computer. as far as prices the gs nak radio and amp are 250.00 a piece used. 50.00 for nak sub and door speakers could be inexpensive aftermarket 50 watt speakers.so the whole nakamichi system would be around 750.00. figure 2000.00 to retrofit the navigation system.
Old 02-02-04, 10:03 PM
Percy

Dan,

Only had the schematics to inspect, but they are different enough to cause problems. The NAK uses two sets of outputs that are shielded while the Pioneer has only one set that is fed through it's single shield. I also remember that the connector shell / outline diagram was different for both.

I would suggest an aftermarket system.

Percy
Old 02-02-04, 10:05 PM
92 sc three
Pole Position

Percy & Lexusaudio,

Thanks for the replies & I appreciate any and all info!

Dan