Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

installing an aftermarket sub in an SC400 :HERES HOW:

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-05, 11:28 PM
6spdSC4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I will hopefully be installing a new Sub/Amp combo sometime very soon and have a few questions:
1.)How crappy will a JL 12w3 sound if I try and mount it in the stock location? Is this even possible?
2.)I'll be keeping the stock Nak. head unit, is there a way to run just one JL500/1 to power the sub and keep the factory amp to power the rest of the components? What would I have to disconnect from the factory amp?
Old 12-31-05, 12:44 AM
illimental
Driver School Candidate

#1 I really can't help you with.
#2. Based on the 96 SC300, you can keep everything connect to the factory amp (under the CD changer). Get an LLC converter and splice into the factory amp's audio wires (red, black) on the single woofer output, then run your RCAs to the amp inputs. You can splice the remote wire to one of the factory amp inputs...for me it was a green wire, perhaps with a stripe but I'd have to look again. If you need anything cleared up, just let me know.
Old 01-05-06, 01:56 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

1: VERY crappy. THe stock sub is a free-air, so there's no box behind it. So, to have a sub in that location, it would have to be free-air also, OR you could have a box made to fit behind it, but that is very difficult and expensive, from what I've heard (very little room for a box b/c of the gas tank).
Old 01-05-06, 02:05 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RSTSpeed
1: VERY crappy. THe stock sub is a free-air, so there's no box behind it. So, to have a sub in that location, it would have to be free-air also, OR you could have a box made to fit behind it, but that is very difficult and expensive, from what I've heard (very little room for a box b/c of the gas tank).
Agreed. The 12w3 is too deep first off. Won't clear the gas tank and still sit in the stock location correctly. Therefore, there's no way to enclose the sub under the rear deck. If you're going with a free air, I don't believe anything larger than a 10 will fit. and even at that, only a few do fit. I had to make a custom riser to get my JL IB4 to fit correctly. Not only due to the gas tank clearance but also due to the rear deck shape as well. You'd really have to have the 12 sitting high on the rear deck to clear the gas tank and be above all the creases in the deck. Then you wouldn't be able to put the rear deck cover back on.

If going with the 12w3, put it in a box in the trunk and remove the stock 10 completely to port the bass into the cabin.
Old 03-04-06, 10:29 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Where are you guys finding room to mount heavy hitter amps like the JL500/1 and equiv. I just don't see room to put this in and its drivin me nuts.