Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

I have Nakamichi Sys: Have an aftermarket deck, do i have to change factory speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-04, 03:45 PM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I have Nakamichi Sys: Have an aftermarket deck, do i have to change factory speakers?

i am going to be taking out the Nakamichi Stereo. WIll an aftermarket deck work w/ the existing factory speakers or do i have to change out all the speakers as well? thanks
Old 02-04-04, 04:20 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Nah, you should be fine with the speakers... the problem is going to be finding a wiring harness that will work and work properly (at least that was the case with my '93 SC3).
Old 02-04-04, 05:29 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

No need to get a harness if you don't mind doing it the semi-hard way.. You need to first get a diagram showing you which wires are in each plug. Then, connect the ones you want to your new headunit by using a t-tap.
Old 02-04-04, 07:30 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

...or that...
Old 02-04-04, 10:32 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

just an option
Old 02-04-04, 11:04 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I just had an Alpine installed with my Nak speakers and it sounds better than I expected.

My head unit has built in adjustable x-over settings for speakers and sub, and adjustable gains.

I've been able to get a good(keyword good), fairly loud sound from them. Clear with no distortion at all. With my setup I'll be running a single 10". This should work for me for right now. If you have a big trunk setup, you'll probably want to upgrade the cabin speakers and amp. Just so they can hang and compliment your low end.
Old 02-05-04, 08:35 AM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

HI! Cool, my iva-d900 is on its way. Will be here on tuesday! I have a setup in the trunk rite now...and its almost done. check out the pix on this forum THanks for the help ppl

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=108793
Old 02-06-04, 08:17 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If money is not a big problem, if I were you, I'd change out the Nak speakers anyway - that whole speaker system is pretty crappy - believe me, I yanked it out of my car so I'm very familiar. Almost anything you can put in is going to sound better than what's in there now if you do a decent install, even with the factory amp. (Nice to yank that too, though.) There's plenty of GS door speaker install info and pics here in the threads.
The front mids are probably the only thing that are marginally reasonable, if you're not driving them with a lot of power. The tweeters are lousy. The same 4" mids are used in the rear enclosure, not big enough for good midbass. And the woofer... But it looks like you have a W7 already anyway. The Nak speakers can't in any way compete with the W7.
More people leave the factory headunit and amp and change out the woofer and cabin speakers first, rather than the other way around, but hey, whatever floats your boat. Once you replace the factory headunit, replacing the rest of the system is the easy part since you no longer have to worry about compatibility issues.
Old 02-06-04, 08:28 AM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by engin_ear
If money is not a big problem, if I were you, I'd change out the Nak speakers anyway - that whole speaker system is pretty crappy - believe me, I yanked it out of my car so I'm very familiar. Almost anything you can put in is going to sound better than what's in there now if you do a decent install, even with the factory amp. (Nice to yank that too, though.) There's plenty of GS door speaker install info and pics here in the threads.
The front mids are probably the only thing that are marginally reasonable, if you're not driving them with a lot of power. The tweeters are lousy. The same 4" mids are used in the rear enclosure, not big enough for good midbass. And the woofer... But it looks like you have a W7 already anyway. The Nak speakers can't in any way compete with the W7.
More people leave the factory headunit and amp and change out the woofer and cabin speakers first, rather than the other way around, but hey, whatever floats your boat. Once you replace the factory headunit, replacing the rest of the system is the easy part since you no longer have to worry about compatibility issues.
thanks for the info! the alpine iva-d900 will be installed next week. that has the crossovers built in so i will try my best to use the speakers...but eventually i will replace those as well. what kind of speakers did you use? how hard is it to replace the tweeters in the front?
Old 02-06-04, 08:37 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I used Dynaudio and Focal.
Tweeters in front: Reasonably easy, once you remove the door panel and the grille in front of the tweeter (It slides straight off toward the rear of the car, with a bit of force. Getting the tweeters out is very easy at that point. I needed to make new brackets for the new tweets - it depends on what you wind up putting in there, you have to watch out for the tweeter depth very carefully, so that the dome doesn't hit the grille.