Sponsored by:

AUX input for Sat radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-04, 01:43 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AUX input for Sat radio

Does anyone know if this will work to create a direct connection to the HU as an AUX input tapped at the CD changer?? Also does anyone know if there is any substance to this post I found searching Sirius backstage:

Well you say you have a factory changer---more than likely this is a good thing. My best sugestion is to try to mod the changer cable for you factory changer to allow for an aux input. Most cd changers (w the exception of fiber optic Mercedes units) use a standard low lever output....thing of it as an rca output. On lets say an 8 pin changer cable three of your 8 pins are going to be left audio out, right audio out and common ground----the others are going to be power, ground, control wire etc. The tough part of your install is going to be finding out what three wires are your audio signal wires---these though usually stand out as a shielded set of wires. (theres enough different lexus forums that identifying the wires should be easy--someone can probably give you exact color and pin combos) The mod requires three relays. One relay for the left signal, one for the common ground and one for the right audio. Once you identify your three wires you will need to cut all three in half. What you are going to do is wire the relays so that 85 is ground, 86 is 12volts wired up to a toggle switch (to switch from cd to aux in) For each wire (left, right, signal ground) you are going to wire the wire going to the input of the factory headunit to 30 (remember one relay for each of the three wires) The output wires from the factory changer will go to 87a , and the output wires from your sirius device (rca output) will go be wired to 87. (I may have 87 and 87a backwards..its late ) To put this into perspective here is how its going to work. In order to listen to whatever is on your aux input device you will have to be in the cd changer mode. When your switch is off the relays will act as a pass through and you will hear the cd changer like normal...when you want to listen to sirius flip the switch and the relays will interupt the signal from the changer and then input the output of your sirius device to the factory radio-----the cd will continue to play and it will display as so on the factory radio but instead of hearing your changer you will hear the aux unit. Key factor is that you will have to be in cdchanger mode------I have not personally done this in a lexus to see if it will work..but it works fine on gms w/ seperate tape/cd player and in theory should work on any unit with a seperate changer or tape player. Let me know if you have any questions and sorry about the long post.
Anyone????
Old 02-06-04, 07:58 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

From reading this, you might be able to get it to work. It's cumbersome, and I don't like the use of a standard automotive relay for the application because of the lack of shielding, but that's just me. As stated, you need to figure out which wires are the preamp output wires of the changer. One thing you might consider is using an aux input switcher to do the switching - Crutchfield sells one made by Sony. You'd need to tap into the existing wires and put RCA connectors on them to go into and out of the aux input switcher. Then you'd just plug the sat radio RCA outs into the alternate channel of the switcher, mount the control switch in an accessible spot, and away you go.
You have to be willing to chop into your existing harness, and good with the soldering iron. I would also verify that the CD preamp signal level coming out of the changer is a standard level before you start chopping, otherwise you'll end up with mismatched levels and possibly overdrive or underdrive your amp input.
Old 02-06-04, 08:17 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by engin_ear
From reading this, you might be able to get it to work. It's cumbersome, and I don't like the use of a standard automotive relay for the application because of the lack of shielding, but that's just me.
So then what would you use??

As stated, you need to figure out which wires are the preamp output wires of the changer.
Ok, I figure I can find that out if I do enough research on the net, no biggie here.

I would also verify that the CD preamp signal level coming out of the changer is a standard level before you start chopping,
Assuming I find the right leads, why wouldn't they be standard line levels???

Ok so under the assumption of standard line level signals, I'd cut the wires (2 I'm assuming) connect the changer side to say input A on the aux input switcher, and the sirius rca inputs on the B side, then connect the wires from the HU to the output side of the aux input switch, yes??

Now the Kenwood H2A runs off a 12V supply, could I just tap the CD changer supply to power the H2A?? BTW, did you get a chance to see the link I posted for the premade product I found?? If so do you think it'll work?? Never heard of a Molex connector. The reason I'm interested in the Pioneer, is that I"ve got a 98 GS w/nav, and I REALLY DON"T want to use the tape player for the input!!!

Thanks for you help.

PS I've seen Letsride hunting for a spare cd changer harness here on CL. I'd be so STOKED if someone else was already working on this issue. I'm a reluctant trailblazer. Letride you reading this???

Last edited by Blanco; 02-06-04 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-06-04, 08:33 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Blanco

Assuming I find the right leads, why wouldn't they be standard line levels???
** Because factory stuff often uses strange levels, since they don't have to worry about compatibility issues with tons of other equipment.

Ok so under the assumption of standard line level signals, I'd cut the wires (2 I'm assuming) connect the changer side to say input A on the aux input switcher, and the sirius rca inputs on the B side, then connect the wires from the HU to the output side of the aux input switch, yes??

**Yes.

Now the Kenwood H2A runs off a 12V supply, could I just tap the CD changer supply to power the H2A?? BTW, did you get a chance to see the link I posted for the premade product I found?? If so do you think it'll work?? Never heard of a Molex connector. The reason I'm interested in the Pioneer, is that I"ve got a 98 GS w/nav, and I REALLY DON"T want to use the tape player for the input!!!

** Can't speak for how much current the H2A requires. I would leave the CD power leads alone (keep them clean and don't inject any noise form the H2A), and find another place to tap off power. As far as the Molex conn, if it is a factory mating type, you need to make sure it mates with Lexus. If it is the screw type, then you just cut and strip wires, slip into holes, then tighten screws on top, easy.

Old 02-06-04, 12:25 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Exclamation The more I learn the more this sucks!!

Ok, after doing some more research I'm slowly convincing myself that tapping the cd changer bus to add aux audio input won't work. . Now that's got me to thinking what about tapping the tape player?? Is the tape player built into the HU?? I have NAV, so to me on the surface it looks as if they could actually be separate units tha use wires(that can be tapped) to connect. Does this sound logical?? Would the audible fidelity between the two "busses" be noticable??

I've heard the fm mod to connect Sirius to the factory stereo actually sounds worse than going with the cassette tape route. Can anyone vouch to this?? So then if I go the tape route I'd like to install such that I don't have a freakin' wire hanging out my tape player all the time.

Any ideas on a final resolution??