Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

One of the best HU and EQ on the market today - the Pioneer DEX P9 and DEQ P9

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-04, 05:47 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts
Default One of the best HU and EQ on the market today - the Pioneer DEX P9 and DEQ P9

In my research on upgrading my audio equipment - I finally decided to go all out in terms of the audio upgrade - and just to clarify, NOT all out in terms of SPL but all out in terms of SQ!

I have found two IASCA world champions in Canada and I am currently negotiating my audio upgrade with their help, professional advice and installation! I am so excited about this, however it also depends on timing of some projects I am working on (ie. if they pan out in time) as that will determine if I have the funds for this or not. I have decided I will compete in IASCA competions (these are one of the best audio competitions in the world) and that means doing the upgrade right and to specs. I will be competing in the SQ class ofcourse.

Anyway, I thought I would share some of my findings with those who may be interested.

Here are some of the features of the Head unit and equalizer I will be purchasing. Many SQ champions have won competitions with this combo. Keep in mind that the most important thing about SQ systems is the head unit, the equalizer and the installation. Ofcourse having good speaker components also helps, however their importance pales in comparison to how crucial the HU, EQ and Installation is.

Detailed Description of DEX-P9
The Premier DEX-P9 is a competition-level single-CD player with performance unlike any other. For the purest signal transfer, each pre-amp output (low/mid/high) includes separate 24-bit DAC's and high volt outputs (4 volts). Also included are an optical input and output, which further improve the purity of the signal as it's passed to other components. The titanium-gray DEX-P9 has a clean look and a large display area, and boasts a motorized, detachable faceplate and a new rotary ****. If desired, the unit's bright, full-motion Organic EL screen can be turned off (Blackout Mode). A two-year warranty applies

Key Features
Organic EL Display
Supertuner III
IP-Bus (MCD) Control
24-Bit D/A Converter
Optical Digital Input/Output
Wireless Smart Remote
Hi-Volt RCA Preouts (x3 pair) (Front/Rear + Subwoofer)
Digital Signal Processor (DEQ-P9) Control
Rotary Volume
Detachable Face Security

Pioneer Premier DEX P9 / DEQ P9
31-band graphic equalizer. Frequencies are on 1/3 octave center frequencies form 20 Hz to 20 KHz, with an available gain of +/- 12 dB, on 0.5 dB steps

Crossover topology:

Subwoofer:
Highpass frequencies: 20-100 Hz, selectable at 1/3 octave
Lowpass frequencies: 25-250 Hz, selectable at 1/3 octave
Gain: +10 dB to -24 dB (0.5 dB steps)

Low (Midbass):
Highpass frequencies: 25- 250 Hz, selectable at 1/3 octave
Lowpass frequencies: 250 Hz - 10 kHz, selectable at 1/3 octave (this frequency causes heartache with a bunch of people, by the way, as a minimum of 250 Hz is, in most cases, too high to cross low frequency speakers over at).
Gain: 0 dB - -24 dB (0.5 dB steps)

Midrange:
Highpass frequencies: 200 Hz - 10 kHz
Lowpass frequencies: 2 kHz - 20 kHz

Treble:
Highpass frequencies: 1.6 kHz - 20 kHz
Lowpass frequencies: 8 kHz - 20 kHz

Slope on all crossovers: 0, -6, -12, -18, -24, -30, -36 dB per octave

Tone control:
Bass: Shelving at 63 Hz, 100 Hz, 160 Hz, 250 Hz
Treble: Shelving at 4 kHz, 6.3 kHz, 10 kHz, 16 kHz
Gain: +/-12 dB (1 dB steps)

The unit has a digital gain structure, known as “SLA.” This can be adjusted up or down to get more gain out of the system. Scott Buwalda (IASCA SQ champion) leaves his at 0 for competitions and at +4 for around town driving. Always nice to have a little more gain to bump around town with.

Time Alignment.
The P9 combo has the ability to tune time alignment in two different scales (inches, and msec, I think).

Copper Chassis

The DEX-P9 and DEQ-P9 are American domestic market pieces.

The P9 deck has an American tuner to retrieve American radio stations.
The DEQ-P9 does not have a digital output. It only has a digital input from the transport.

The MSRP of the DEX-P9 deck is around $800.

The MSRP of the DEQ-P9 equalizer is around $600 - 700.

The P9 combo has 24-bit DAC’s. I can’t recall the type and model number, but they are NOT Burr-Brown 24/96 Sign Magnitude DACs.

The P9 combo uses fairly standard parts, such as Analogue Devices op-amps, lower grade Burr-Brown op-amps, standard capacitors, etc.

Anyone have any hookups on this combo?

Last edited by Hameed; 02-22-04 at 06:01 AM.
Old 02-22-04, 06:01 AM
DPGS430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have both of them and love it. The clarity is unbelievable!! I'm running digitally between the HU and processor. Off of the processor I have 2 JL Audio 500/1's going to a pair of Solobaric S12L7's and a JL Audio 300/4 going to Dynaudio MK240's up front and a pair of MW170 8" mids in the rear doors. The system has the ability to be tweaked anyway you want to. You can run components or you can run amps to individual speakers...tweeter amp, mid amp, sub amp and tune to your hearts desire. The 31 band 3rd octave eq is just amazing.

Jim

Old 02-22-04, 06:03 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Larger pic of the deck:
Attached Thumbnails One of the best HU and EQ on the market today - the Pioneer DEX P9 and DEQ P9-pioneer_dex_p9.jpg  
Old 02-22-04, 08:23 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hameed, excellent choice, that head unit is so nice. When my rep talked to me about this, I was taken back a little because usually Premier is a more show peice rather than sound. I would expect this from Alpine but not Premier, so with that in mind they must have really taken their time and built a solid peice. We'll talk bro.