Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-04 | 03:27 PM
mink92890
Lead Lap

Default Navigation

I have an 01' Ultra with a 2000 DATA version 1 disc... I read a forum which stated that the 03 disc won't work with an 01 that uses a 2000 DATA version 1 disc... Is this true... If so what disc's are compatible...Also is it easy to installl? I know wher the drive is, but I don't know how the drive pops up so i can insert the disc... And if I get the 03 disc, can i sell the old disc, or will it not function???

Thanks
Mink92890

This is from that message:

I just installed the new DATA 2003 ver. 1 navigation DVD disc. Or as the DVD information screen reports Ver. 03. 1. I upgraded from DATA 2001 ver. 1 and despite the warnings in the product description the DATA 2001 ver. 1 is still compatible even after putting in the new 2003 ver. 1. However, they do give a warning inside the new DVD case that users of DATA 2000 ver. 1. will only support DATA ver. 02.1 and later after the system automatically updates with this new disc.
DVD Navigation Disc 2003 ver. 1 details:

PACKAGING: The new single sided DVD disc comes in a jewel case with booklet showing the 11 navigation areas (combined states and Canada) covered. There are two types of areas available for route guidance. In one type of area shown as shaded in the booklet, primarily around metropolitan centers, detailed route guidance is available for the entire area. In the other type of area, all roads are displayed on the map but route guidance is limited. Credits and copyrights are shown for 2004 Denso, 2002 Navigation Technologies (NAVTECH), 2002 Geographic Data Technology (GDT) and 2002 InfoUSA. In addition to Her Majesty the Queen in Right of Canada and Queen's Printer for Canada.

NO NEW USER INTERFACE - It still has all the functionality, options and setup screens as the previous versions. So it doesn't have any of the new 2004 LS430 navigation system buttons, voice commands or settings.

MAP DATABASE - Given the copyrights shown on the back of the DVD case and inside the booklet for 2002 Navigation Technologies (NAVTECH) and 2002 Geographic Data Technology (GDT). This would indicate that the map databases used are from 2002. A few new roads in my area (east of Seattle) are shown.

ROUTING - The routing algorithm has changed. Destinations that provided me 3 separate routes to pick from before are now recommending routes with smaller deviations. This could be good or bad, depending on how you select your route. Good if you want the shortest route to your destination, bad if this direction has heavy traffic flow.

SPEED - The speed that you can input addresses and POI names on the touch screen seems to be drastically improved. Also the calculating and recalculating of the route is improved with faster performance.

POINTS OF INTEREST (POI) - Lexus says it's increased the approximately 2 million POI's in previous versions to 5 million POI's with the 2003 edition. I'll take their word for it, I don't plan on counting them ! I was surprised that typing in 'Home Depot' did not display any stores in my area (area 1) and only one on Sunset Blvd. in L.A. (area 2). Also no Radio Shack stores are listed. Given that InfoUSA supplied the POI's I'm surprised not to find these stores. I'll see if this is just a category shortcoming the more I use this new navigation disc.

Hope this helps other '01-'03 LS430 owners deciding to update.