Sponsored by:

My weekend project - custom subs and amp re-installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-04, 06:56 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My weekend project - custom subs and amp re-installation

I worked on this Friday night, and for like 15 hours Saturday. My back hurt waaaay too much to do anything today. Anyways, it's OBVIOUSLY not finished, but it's a hella good start. I hooked everything up so I could have some sound Sat. night and to see how it sounded.
Next weekend:
-Fabricate and mount amp rack
-Port the boxes
-CARPET. lol

The black marks on the tops of the boxes are overspray from painting the inside black. The drips lines are resin from the fiberglassing.
Attached Thumbnails My weekend project - custom subs and amp re-installation-whole-combo-far.jpg  
Old 02-22-04, 06:57 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Left sub & enclosure
Attached Thumbnails My weekend project - custom subs and amp re-installation-left-ssub-close.jpg  
Old 02-22-04, 06:58 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Left sub & enclosure from a far
Attached Thumbnails My weekend project - custom subs and amp re-installation-left-sub-far.jpg  
Old 02-22-04, 06:58 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Right sub & enclosure
Attached Thumbnails My weekend project - custom subs and amp re-installation-right-sub-close.jpg  
Old 02-22-04, 06:59 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Right sub & enclosure from afar.
Attached Thumbnails My weekend project - custom subs and amp re-installation-right-sub-far.jpg  
Old 02-22-04, 07:01 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

My ghetto little amp rack.... this will eventually be cut to fit properly (too long, now), mounted to the frame of the car between the boxes, have a top "cover" on it, and have the big MA Audio amp mounted on the side you see (on the reverse side I have my 4 chan. amp, 4 crossovers, power/ground distribution blocks).
Attached Thumbnails My weekend project - custom subs and amp re-installation-amp-rack-.jpg  
Old 02-23-04, 07:41 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

When its complete will you be able to get to the rear lights to say.....change bulbs?
Old 02-23-04, 10:54 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Yup, everything is easily removable. I'm going to mount the amp rack with wing nuts so I can take it out on a moment's notice. I can also get the spare tire out.
Old 02-23-04, 11:15 AM
TrboDANDEE
Driver

very nice man, you're very handy!
Old 02-23-04, 11:56 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

haha, thanks man!
Old 02-23-04, 02:49 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Looking good so far - yeah, any good install take about 4 times as long as you thought it would ...

Maybe I missed something though - What was the point to painting the inside of the sub enclosures black??? I assume you can't see in there, since the woofer cones are not transparent.
Old 02-23-04, 03:26 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Not much point other than it would like nice if/when I need to take the subs out. Also, I may eventually put a plexiglass panel on it (in place of part of the wood) with a black light or something... but probably not.
Old 02-23-04, 04:35 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Won't the subs cancel a little of each other out by being pointed towards another?

Also...how do you plan for the bass to enter the passenger cabin?

Last but not least..did you dynamat the hell out of that trunk?
Old 02-23-04, 09:00 PM
brianlin87
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally posted by GS4fun
Won't the subs cancel a little of each other out by being pointed towards another?

Also...how do you plan for the bass to enter the passenger cabin?

Last but not least..did you dynamat the hell out of that trunk?
subs facing each other create an isobaric sound
Old 02-24-04, 07:32 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by brianlin87
subs facing each other create an isobaric sound
NO. It's not that simple, although topically it might seem that way. In an isobaric set up, the two drivers are wired out of phase (180 degrees) so that one pushes while the other pulls. The basic geometry of the enclosure is also different from what RSTSpeed has in his trunk. For a true isobaric enclosure, the woofer outputs add, due to the strict positions of the woofers relative to each other and the out of phase movements (which are actually out of phase electrically, but IN phase mechanically because the woofers wind up pushing/pulling in the same direction (relative to a point outside the enclosure)). Setting up an isobaric is difficult, so that you don't wind up with peaks and valleys (cancellations) in the response, and so that the bandwidth is appropriate. In the case of RSTSpeed's trunk, you would wind up with cancellations, due to the distance that the woofers are apart, the fact that they're not wired out of phase, and the fact that the main port of sound into the cabin is either the stock woofer hole or thru the rear seats, approx. midway between the woofers. The whole thing becomes a matter of trial and error - you really don't know what you're going to wind up with until you get it done. The peaks/valleys in the response may wind up in just the right place, or they may not. If you're lucky, it sounds great - if you're not, it'll sound like crap, unless you like one-note overpowering bass. You can wind up with a really heavy bass output in a really narrow frequency band, with a lot of nothing in the frequency bands around it. Again, if you're lucky, and the car audio gods are with you, it will be reasonably smooth, but more of a matter of chance if not designed that way intentionally, which is difficult at best.
Having said all that, I really hope RST Speed is lucky with his installation. Hope it sounds great.

Quick Reply: My weekend project - custom subs and amp re-installation