Sponsored by:

Subwoofer enclosure in 90-94 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-04, 08:38 AM
leosls400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer enclosure in 90-94 LS400

Has anyone ever installed an enclosure under the rear deck of a 90-94 LS400 with a port firing in the stock 8" location? I have 2-12" Kicker COMP VR's that i would like to install in this enclosure.
Old 03-01-04, 07:30 PM
leosls400
Driver

Anyone ???
Old 03-01-04, 11:48 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Subwoofer enclosure in 90-94 LS400

Originally posted by leosls400
Has anyone ever installed an enclosure under the rear deck of a 90-94 LS400 with a port firing in the stock 8" location? I have 2-12" Kicker COMP VR's that i would like to install in this enclosure.
i'm sure its been done, but i dont know if you'll get the sound that you want from that kind of a setup, but then aagain, i wouldnt know, i've never tried it.

btw how much did you get those subs? how do those subs sound?
Old 03-02-04, 01:37 PM
leosls400
Driver

Hey Persian451

Each sub is $115.00. I used to have them in my previous car, which was a 1993 Thunderbird SC. It is in www.sounddomain.com under http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/139217

I really like the way my bass sounded with these subs. I'm kind off a Basshead. The reason I wanted to try this enclosure set up was to minimize the amount of space I would be taking from the trunk. I also wanted to prevent any rattling that might arise if I just do a normal sealed box facing to the rear of the trunk type of set-up.

As a matter of fact I just found an LS400 that has this type of set up, but he is only using 10s. Check it out:
http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/392875/2

What do you think?
Old 03-02-04, 02:46 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

looks like a good job.. I dont know how it sounds, but it sure looks very clean. by the way, are you runnign a stock hu?
Old 03-02-04, 05:22 PM
leosls400
Driver

I'm still debating on that. I like the way my car looks with it's stock unit. But again, after market is better. A friend of mine has a 94 LS400 and he kept his stock HU and Nak speakers and added an Alpine Pre- EQ, PPI A1200.4 and a RF 360.2 amps. He is running 2 RF 10s in a bandpass box. His car sounds great for having a stock HU and speakers.

Do you have system in your car? Any pictures?
Old 03-02-04, 06:06 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

I'm still debating on that. I like the way my car looks with it's stock unit. But again, after market is better. A friend of mine has a 94 LS400 and he kept his stock HU and Nak speakers and added an Alpine Pre- EQ, PPI A1200.4 and a RF 360.2 amps. He is running 2 RF 10s in a bandpass box. His car sounds great for having a stock HU and speakers.

that's what i'm putting in my car, for a poor man's wallet:

i'm putting a 400.4 clarion, and 800.2 audiobahn, with 2 RF 12's in a bandpass.. I'm hopin it'll sound somewhat decent for stock hu
Old 03-03-04, 12:48 PM
leosls400
Driver

This is the equipment that I have to install in my car: Eclipse 5301 CD player, Clarion EQS560, PPI PRO-MOS 50 (subs), and PPI A300 (mids/highs). Also have most of RCAs, fuse blocks, distribution block, 4ga ground / power wire, and a 140A circuit breaker for my main fuse. As you can see, most of the stuff is from my previous car.
Old 03-03-04, 06:59 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bet that guys LS with the enclosure facing upwards doesn't sound that good, it's probably a very unbalanced system. I've got one 10" in a sealed box in my trunk and it gives me PLENTY of bass and the system is well balanced. Here are pics of my car: http://www.pearsonimaging.com/LS/pics.html

The other pics are spread out in all the tutorials. IMO a rear firing sub sounds great in the LS.

Persian, say it ain't so.....a bandpass box! I'm gonna have to start calling you ghetto roller .
Old 03-03-04, 07:48 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Earl!
I bet that guys LS with the enclosure facing upwards doesn't sound that good, it's probably a very unbalanced system. I've got one 10" in a sealed box in my trunk and it gives me PLENTY of bass and the system is well balanced. Here are pics of my car: http://www.pearsonimaging.com/LS/pics.html

The other pics are spread out in all the tutorials. IMO a rear firing sub sounds great in the LS.

Persian, say it ain't so.....a bandpass box! I'm gonna have to start calling you ghetto roller .
i listen to rap, what can i say? i'm 19 with no money, thank god that I have a scholarship paying for my school. Trust me, after I get my engineering degree, the system will in a different direction in a a different car
Old 03-04-04, 06:51 PM
leosls400
Driver

I know that a rear facing box will sound good, but I don't want to loose so much space. In my previous car I had them facing to rear of the trunk and let me tell you, the bass was great.

Earl - So you think this box configuration wouldn't sound good?

Now the way I was thinking of making my sub box is in a Tri-chamber bandpass box configuration. This is where the speakers are actually each in a sealed chamber on each side and the center chamber with the 8' port firing into the cab through the 8' woofer hole in the rear deck.

What do you guys think?
Old 03-04-04, 08:42 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by persian451
....i'm 19 with no money....
Anyone that drives a Lexus has money my friend . And as you probably could tell I was just joking before, I'm not gonna start calling you ghetto roller hahhaa that's too much typing!

I know that a rear facing box will sound good, but I don't want to loose so much space. In my previous car I had them facing to rear of the trunk and let me tell you, the bass was great.

Earl - So you think this box configuration wouldn't sound good?

Now the way I was thinking of making my sub box is in a Tri-chamber bandpass box configuration. This is where the speakers are actually each in a sealed chamber on each side and the center chamber with the 8' port firing into the cab through the 8' woofer hole in the rear deck.

What do you guys think?
I know what a bandpass box is man, geeezz I build boxes myself! Yeah, bandpass boxes are loud and low, but they give you sloppy bass in a very narrow frequency range. If you want extra bass but clean bass I suggest a sealed box with two 10" or 12" speakers, each with their own camber.

The box configuration that you're thinking of leosls400 is going to be VERY tricky and costly. Now that I think about that guy's LS with the box hanging off the deck I wonder when the rear deck is going to fall down. Sub boxes are HEAVY. I know mine weighs around 30-35 pounds and it's tiny. I have it supported so I don't worry.

I actually thought about hanging a box from the rear deck facing upwards when I started my plans, but a normal build is just not possible due to the gas tank. It just doesn't fit. I don't even think it's worth the time to think about it more, move on to another plan. The bottom line is that if you put a sub in your trunk you WILL lose trunk space. You can see in my pics that I did my best and I can still fit a lot of my bass gear in the trunk. But, before I put the sub in I was able to fit my bass in the trunk as well, now I can't. Since you do lose space you may want to consider a removable sub box...
Old 03-04-04, 10:22 PM
leosls400
Driver

Earl - I didn't want to sound like you did not know what a bandpass box was, I was just describing the type of box I wanted to built since there are a several types of bandpass boxes. By the way, I had not thought about the weight that rear deck had to support, thanks for pointing this out to me, I had just thought of hanging the box off the rear deck and asumed that the rear deck would support it. So with this in mind I have decided to go with a sealed box like you suggested.

Thanks Earl

Leo

Last edited by leosls400; 03-04-04 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-05-04, 03:26 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This unit will look like it was made for your car:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=11681
Old 03-05-04, 06:50 PM
leosls400
Driver

Hey Lexkost,

Good find. That is a nice looking deck and it's a Nak. I'm going to have to look into into this, good price too.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer enclosure in 90-94 LS400