Sponsored by:

Premium Sound Vs Nakamichi

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-04, 04:42 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Premium Sound Vs Nakamichi

I'm new to this forum but have been reading for while now. I am looking to purchase my first Lexus soon. I'm looking for 1999 SC, haven't decided whether to go with the 300 or the 400. But I'm leaning toward the 300.

I won't really have the money to do any mods to the current sound system or exchange it out or anything like that, so I just don't want to make the wrong choice. It seems the Nak is harder to find on a SC 300. But I really could use your feeback regarding the Lexus factory audio systems.

Is there a major difference between the 7 speaker 210 watts (w Cd Changer) standard system vs the Nakamichi 280 watts system? I'm not looking to blow my ears out or anyone elses but I don't want to regret not holding out for the Nak if I can find one with the color comb I would like. Are you happy with the standard system?

If there is not much difference in sound than I will probably just go with the standard premium system. I remember back in 1999 when I test drove a 1999 SC 300 with a Nak that I was really impressed, couldn't afford the car back then but now the price is right for a used one.

Thanks for your response, great forum here, look forward to contributing more & showing pics when I've made my purchase.
Old 03-21-04, 05:13 PM
dentpusher
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the pioneer system in my SC and it sounds fine to me. I have been a professional installer for 10yrs and have worked on and been around both systems for quite a while and think that they are both fairly equal in sound quality. I wouldnt pass up a good deal or the car your looking for just for the system.
Old 03-21-04, 05:59 PM
hwallen172
Driver

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on choosing an excellent car. I have a 1995 SC300 5 speed with the Nak stereo. If you like manual transmissions, you'll want the SC300. Also, if you're intent on modifications, you'll want the SC300 since there are many more options for that model. There are plenty of people in this forum that can advise you on that subject better than I can; mine is stock and I use it as a daily driver in Atlanta. I whip it like a rented mule and it takes it like a champ.

As far as the stereo goes, the Nak sounds good but like the standard stereo, it has a reliability problem with the CD changer. My CD changer was broken when I got it, and I spent $470 to get it fixed. It works great and sounds great now, but all the audiophiles will tell you that that money will get you well on the way to a superior system with MP3 support. In other words, I wouldn't consider the Nak a deciding factor in choosing your car. Laying down a few hundred bucks at a good stereo shop will get you more than repairing the stock system unless you're adament about keeping the stock head unit. That severely limits your options since the factory speakers are 10 ohms (I think).

Like I said, my car is stock including the stereo, so there are people here who can advise you better than me. There are a lot of impressive stereo installations in some of the threads here if you search for them. Personally, I'd like to rip out the whole stereo and replace it with a touch screen navigation system and have sound provided by a remote control MP3 hard drive. Since I've learned how to build open ended triode tube amplifiers for home listening, car stereos just don't have the phase accuracy to satisfy me.
Old 03-21-04, 06:05 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is a very large difference between the nak and the prem setup... my friend has a 93 with the prem, i have a 95 with the nak; and my system blows his out of the water

there are no 99 5-speeds btw just to clear the air... 97 is the last year
Old 03-21-04, 09:36 PM
livesc400
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes...I agree!! I had a 1993 SC400 with the Premium Pioneer System and I now have a 1998 SC400 with the Nak. The Nak craps all over the Pioneer system. Clarity and imaging are absolutely amazing!! I am a crazy sound clarity freak! I have had nothing but Eclipse, Alpine, & Nakamichi sound systems in my previous vehicles. The Nak will not disappoint. Just my $.02. Didn't the 1999 SC300's have a 5-speed auto?

LiveSC400

Last edited by livesc400; 03-21-04 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-22-04, 01:21 AM
dkny_112
Lead Lap

i have a 92 sc400 that is equipped with the nakamichi premium sound system...

is that the same nakamichi system in the 98s and are there any differences between teh years?
Old 03-22-04, 08:26 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

Ironically no, the 5 spd went out in 97, and for 98,99, and 00 model years, the only transmission choice for the SC300 was the same 4 spd automatic that followed through since 1992... that being the case a 98+ SC400 could blow the doors clear off a 98+ SC300 without a problem.

Yes there are significant differences between the nak and base audio system. The first difference is a bigger sub... its like 8 with the base and 10 with the nak, still not that punchy, but indeed better. Also, the nak has what I call "effortless power." This is what I would describe as the ability to have the volume at 1/4 and still hear it loud and clear no problem... just like an SC400 has effortless power on the highway.

In my mom's civic, the stereo is so ****ty and the car is sooooo loud on the highway I have to have the stereo maxed out to really listen to the music at a level that would inspire "getting into it."
Old 03-23-04, 02:14 PM
ruki400
Pole Position

thank you for the comment.\
The Nak is the best sounding system of its time
by a land slide!

Last edited by ruki400; 03-23-04 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-23-04, 02:51 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ruki400
thank you for the comment.\
The Nak is the best sounding system of its time
by a land slide!
I don't know about that... but I do know that I HATED WITH A PASSION my Nak system in my last SC400,

My SC300 has the Pioneer system and I think it sounds better.

The speakers on the Nak are better quality but I HATED the Volume problems I had with my Nak. You could not turn it down all the way. Strange..

I think the Pioneer also sounds better personally
Old 03-23-04, 07:44 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Thanks everyone for your input, I appreciate it.

I have been to the http://www.intellexual.net/ site to compare 98 model year to 99 year.

Can I ask another question:

It says that in 1999 model year, the sound system went to "Automatic Sound Levelizer (ASL)" and also
the "Adoption of Digital Sound Processor" Can someone explain how these compare to say a 98 model that doesn't have these.

Also...Could someone explain in 1999 did both systems have the ASL & Digital SOund Processor, the Pioneer base & the Nak? Or just the Nak?

Thanks

Oh Ironcobra, what year was your SC that you hated the Nak system?

Last edited by Xanadu350; 03-23-04 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-24-04, 11:35 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by XanaduSC
Thanks everyone for your input, I appreciate it.

I have been to the http://www.intellexual.net/ site to compare 98 model year to 99 year.

Can I ask another question:

It says that in 1999 model year, the sound system went to "Automatic Sound Levelizer (ASL)" and also
the "Adoption of Digital Sound Processor" Can someone explain how these compare to say a 98 model that doesn't have these.

Also...Could someone explain in 1999 did both systems have the ASL & Digital SOund Processor, the Pioneer base & the Nak? Or just the Nak?

Thanks

Oh Ironcobra, what year was your SC that you hated the Nak system?
Old 03-25-04, 07:15 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Can someone with a 1999 SC tell me about these options added for 1999 Pioneer audio system:

Automatic Sound Levelizer (ASL).
Adoption of Digital Sound Processor

Are these worth getting on 1999 SC 300 or would I be just as happy with the Pioneer audio system for the 1998 year without these options?
Old 03-25-04, 07:29 PM
dentpusher
Pole Position

The asl is just a self adjusting level control to compensate for interior noise. If it gets louder in the car the radio self adjust to compensate.
The DSP will give you more adjustments for your sound fields. The radio is not worth the overall choice from one car to the other. Some like the features but most dont even notice the asl and the dsp doesnt really make it sound better just different.
Old 03-25-04, 07:36 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

so the DSP just gives you more control over the Treble & Bass levels?
Old 03-25-04, 08:25 PM
dentpusher
Pole Position

It has pre selected settings to choose from.

Quick Reply: Premium Sound Vs Nakamichi