Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

How does the Levinson sound in all of the various Lexus vehicles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-04, 02:18 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How does the Levinson sound in all of the various Lexus vehicles?

Basically I'm wondering if there's a substantial difference between each model in how good the Levinson system sounds.

My fiance is looking at buying a 2004 or 2005 ES330, and I want her to get the Levinson/Nav package because it sounded so incredible in the SC430 and LS430 I heard it in. But I wonder if the ES330 sounds as good? She's also considering the RX330... what about the Levinson in that?

I looked at www.marklevinson.com and they have a link that goes over all the specs and speaker placements of each car... but really, each car has its system developed specifically for its environment, so the LS430 might actually need a few more speakers and a different size of midrange driver to sound equal to an ES330. But on the same account, the LS430 is much quieter inside, so that should help the stereo's efficiency.

I have a 99 GS400 with Nakamichi... is her ES330 with Levinson at least going to sound quite a bit better than mine?
Old 03-29-04, 03:10 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've only listened to the ML system in the GS and the LS series. The LS series sounds much better due to the placement of the speakers and their tuning. The GS ML sounded a little better than the Nak, cleaner if you will. Haven't tried the ES ML system out yet. In general, the ML system is one of the best stock systems out there, but it won't hold a candle to a well tuned aftermarket system.

Percy
Old 03-29-04, 05:48 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Percy
I've only listened to the ML system in the GS and the LS series. The LS series sounds much better due to the placement of the speakers and their tuning. The GS ML sounded a little better than the Nak, cleaner if you will. Haven't tried the ES ML system out yet. In general, the ML system is one of the best stock systems out there, but it won't hold a candle to a well tuned aftermarket system.

Percy
I sold my 2000 Silverado when I bought my GS4... my Silverado had around a 8-10k dollar profesionally tuned setup designed for SQ, SQ, and more SQ (think Alpine F1 series, MB Quart QSD 3-ways, 4x125 RMS PPI amp for each pair of speakers, CDT audio SQ subs with custom built enclosures), about 150 pounds of dynamat and other sound absorbing materials, etc, etc).

And you know what... all of its out now and sitting in my attic and I have no desire to put it in my GS4 w/ Nak. Why? I think I've just decided that it's worth the downgrade from 'holy crap' SQ to 'man that sounds pretty good!' SQ in order to have a nice clean reliable factory install.

Custom car audio work was a headache and a money pit.

I'm keeping my stuff and will some day install it in a 2nd vehicle (sports car) once I get the funds to buy one... but until then, I'm perfectly happy with my well-engineered OEM Nak... and honestly I get more compliments from my Nak then I did my other stereo because people are always impressed that an OEM system sounds so good. When you roll up with your entire paycheck in audio equipment and such... people just sort of roll their eyes. And even though it sounded great to me... eventually I got 'jaded', and really didn't appreciate the sound for what it was.

Same thing is starting to happen with my home audio setup as well (Polk LSi 15s w/ Rotel 700x2 RMS @4 ohm dedicated monobloc amp). You just start taking it for granted.

Oh well.
Old 03-29-04, 07:59 PM
LS430inTX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Recommend you do a search for "Mark Levinson" or "ML" on this board and read about said subject. There are quite a few opinions on how it sounds. I have only heard the ML system in my LS not any of the other models. My opinion is that I have heard some of my old CDs for the first time. The LS's ML system brings out nuances that I otherwise could not or did not hear on other systems. The stereo channel separation in unlike anything I have ever heard. That said, the ML system has an incredible sound stage. But contrary to this, however, the downside to this system, andI I think most will agree, is that the bass reproduction is weak and sorely lacking. For as good as the mid and high frequency reproduction is, the bass is completely opposite so much so that Lexus/Mark Levinson should be slammed for it.
Old 03-30-04, 07:35 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LS430inTX
Recommend you do a search for "Mark Levinson" or "ML" on this board and read about said subject. There are quite a few opinions on how it sounds. I have only heard the ML system in my LS not any of the other models. My opinion is that I have heard some of my old CDs for the first time. The LS's ML system brings out nuances that I otherwise could not or did not hear on other systems. The stereo channel separation in unlike anything I have ever heard. That said, the ML system has an incredible sound stage. But contrary to this, however, the downside to this system, andI I think most will agree, is that the bass reproduction is weak and sorely lacking. For as good as the mid and high frequency reproduction is, the bass is completely opposite so much so that Lexus/Mark Levinson should be slammed for it.
I've searched and read quite a few threads, but couldn't find any threads where the difference in the ML system in one Lexus vehicle was compared to another Lexus vehicle.

BTW, you say the bass reproduction with ML is poor... is it at least clear but just not very loud? How does it compare to the Nak in the same vehicle? The Nakamichi in my GS4 has extremely clear (for an OEM stereo) and very loud (for reasonable listening volumes at least) low frequency bass reproduction. But it doesn't do a very good job of midbass IMO. Compared to the Bose system in my Maxima and the Alpine system in my friend's 03 Honda Accord... it has no midbass at all. I realize that most other OEM stereos over-pronounce midbass in order to make up for their lack of sub bass (since mid bass requires a lot less power to produce so you can use cheaper and lighter speakers and less powerful amps)... and so the Nak doesn't have to do that. And maybe I should be stripped of my title of 'audiophile' for saying this. But I like over-pronounced midbass. I like to feel a 'punch' to my music.
Old 04-01-04, 07:24 PM
LS430inTX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

What bass is there does seem to be "clean" with no distortion but it's easy to be clean when your not pumping out much volume (which I think is what the problem is with ML bass). I think the bass freqs over 100Hz are lacking.