Sponsored by:

GS Aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-04, 03:55 PM
massiejr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS Aftermarket

I have been flipping through the threads looking for some information on my 2000 Lexus GS 300. The head unit is shot, so I am going to put in an aftermarket. I need help in choosing which one (just a basic cd player) and to know if the factory speakers will still work?

Also, can I pull the cd player out of a newer lexus and drop it in mine? The guy at the dealership said no, but he had no clue what he was talking about. Thanks.
Old 04-03-04, 08:11 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: GS Aftermarket

Originally posted by massiejr
I have been flipping through the threads looking for some information on my 2000 Lexus GS 300. The head unit is shot, so I am going to put in an aftermarket. I need help in choosing which one (just a basic cd player) and to know if the factory speakers will still work?
Yes, the stock speakers will work with the new head unit. They are all 4ohm speakers. With the upgraded head unit, you should at least upgrade the front components as well. How much do you have budgeted for a new head unit and what features do you need? MP3? XM Radio? 4 volt PReouts to external amps? EQ? Sound Processing? Time Correction? Phanton Face? Removable Face?
Originally posted by massiejr
Also, can I pull the cd player out of a newer lexus and drop it in mine? The guy at the dealership said no, but he had no clue what he was talking about. Thanks.
I think all of the CD Changers are the same. If yours works, why are you going to change it.
Old 04-04-04, 09:29 AM
massiejr
Driver School Candidate

Default Aftermarket

My Cd changer works fine, but it is my head unit that is shot. The display, among other things, no longer work. I have found a couple of cd players from 2002 and newer GS's that have the cd player in the dash, but I want to know that the wiring will work correctly.
Old 04-05-04, 05:19 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the existing speakers will work with the aftermarket radio. The CD Changer will not work with the aftermarket head unit; there is no adapter.

What is your budget for the head unit? Any brands you were looking at? When I was shoppping I was only looking for Alpine. It was either DVD (IVA-D900) or stick to audio. Fine tuning the audio was more important.
Old 04-06-04, 06:17 AM
massiejr
Driver School Candidate

Default Head Unit

I would really rather get rid of the changer and get a newer style lexus stock radio with cd. I have found a couple, but I have no idea if they work. Do you know?