Sponsored by:

Installation of Amateur Radio in 2000 LX470

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-04, 04:48 AM
zwheeloc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installation of Amateur Radio in 2000 LX470

I am trying to install a Kenwood D700A amateur radio into my 2000 LX470 and am thinking of placing the base of the unit in the rear right where a little shelf resides next to the 3rd passenger seat. Is there any wiring guides for the car available? Can I hook up power near the rear of the car, or do I have to run the wire all the way to the front of the car to the battery? I would like to do the installation without having to cut any holes, but some may be necessary to hide the wires. I am thinking of taping the antenna wire inside the jam of the rear passenger door. Any other suggestions that any one might have? The only solution for the control head I can think of is to velcro the plate to the top of the dash so as to not cut any holes there. Is there any "holes" in the firewall I can snake wires through?
Old 04-04-04, 12:22 AM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will probably need too pull your 12VDC from the battery because the radio will pull alot of amps, especially when you are transmitting in high power. As for any acess holes in the firewall, well you are just going to have to look for any wires or holes that are traveling there.
Old 06-11-04, 07:14 AM
zwheeloc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the installation of the wires pretty straight forward. I have yet to venture trying to find an existing hole in the firewall to snake the power line through, but that day is coming.

I found taking the passenger side rear cargo area off pretty easy on the 2000 LX 470. Remove the 5 screws to the flap of the tailgate to remove the flap. Undo the screw which anchors the side housing which was under the flap as well as the screw near the middle of the housing and the seat belt nut. The housing is held on by plastic snapons which just need to be popped out of their hole. Coax the housing out and place it aside. The wires go under the plastic door plate which are held on by the plastic snapon. I tie wrapped the wires to keep them from getting pinched at key places. I currently have the wires terminated by the passenger seat. I have briefly looked at the engine to get ideas on how to get through the firewall and see some rubber boots housing some wire. I suspect if I can get the boot off, I can run the wire through there. I plan on using Anderson Power Poles for connectors.

If anyone has any suggestions regarding wiring up to the battery, let me know.