Sponsored by:

replacing stock back speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-04, 12:44 AM
Lexus007
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing stock back speakers

I was wondering could i replace the back speakers of my 98 es300 to like say aftermarket ones? The stock nakamichi cd player sounds good and all,it's just the bass in the back boggs when the volume is put up. I wanna know can i replace the back speakers with aftermarket ones like audiobahn,alpines or kenwoods using the same mountings?I mean i can get a box for them but I just wanna know if i can replace the stock speakers and run aftermarket subs that will fit into place. If so can i just use the stock nakamichi amp to run the new speakers? NEED INFO !!!!!
Old 04-05-04, 12:47 AM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: replacing stock back speakers

Originally posted by Lexus007
I was wondering could i replace the back speakers of my 98 es300 to like say aftermarket ones? The stock nakamichi cd player sounds good and all,it's just the bass in the back boggs when the volume is put up. I wanna know can i replace the back speakers with aftermarket ones like audiobahn,alpines or kenwoods using the same mountings?I mean i can get a box for them but I just wanna know if i can replace the stock speakers and run aftermarket subs that will fit into place. If so can i just use the stock nakamichi amp to run the new speakers? NEED INFO !!!!!
its pioneer. the size of the sub is 8"

ive seen the bracket up close, and it looks pretty hard to tear the sub and bracket apart from eachother.. im sure it can be done though... the stock pioneer amp wont be powerful enough to push the subwoofer though. you can replace it directly with another pioneer or image dynamic or other brand FREE AIR subwoofer only.

hope this helps..
Old 04-05-04, 12:50 AM
Lexus007
Lead Lap

cool what kind of speakers can i replace it with? any good brands? i mean i know of some but i wanna know what u running.
Old 04-06-04, 02:15 AM
Lexus007
Lead Lap

Anybody got good suggestions on replacing the back speakers? Any good suggestions on the freeair type?
Old 04-06-04, 10:19 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Lexus007
cool what kind of speakers can i replace it with? any good brands? i mean i know of some but i wanna know what u running.
my plans are:

3 10w3's on a 1000/1 or 2 12w6v2's on a 1000/1
jl xr components and tr coaxials on a 300/4
fiberglass enclosure, etc

ill probably end up getting something completely different than what ive planned though, lol
Old 04-08-04, 09:26 AM
Ladie_Lexx
Rookie

reagrdless of the speakers you will get that bogg or rattling noise if the speakers are up loud with the bass .To avoid it you could also get dynomat liner for your car which enhances the sound quality and protects the rattling. Yes though you could easily replace your speakers with back aftermarket ones just double check your dimensions before you get new ones.
Old 04-08-04, 05:31 PM
Lexus007
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Ladie_Lexx
reagrdless of the speakers you will get that bogg or rattling noise if the speakers are up loud with the bass .To avoid it you could also get dynomat liner for your car which enhances the sound quality and protects the rattling. Yes though you could easily replace your speakers with back aftermarket ones just double check your dimensions before you get new ones.
thanx....
Old 04-10-04, 02:04 PM
garrick-co
Driver School Candidate

I may be slightly off topic, since mine is a '94 ES, but I thought I should share anyway, as it is my 'replacing stock back speakers' story.
I wanted to replace my 6x9 rear deck speakers. After pulling the rear seat, third brake light and all that I finally got at the speakers *wow* that was not easy! Welp, the 92-96 rear deck speakers are 6x9 alright. What I hadn't known is the fact that they are Glued to a plastic base/adapter. The holes in the deck (the metal shelf-like thing under the cover Do Not bear Any resemblance to usual 6x9 speakers. The first plastic thing Slowly & Carefully came off and onto the after-market speaker ( a Sony, but they basically all mount the same) End Saturday.
Then the second speaker. The plastic bracket immediately fell into six pieces. I both glued it back together and emailed my Lex Dealer about buying a replacement. The speaker & bracket are considered as one part and is Slightly Over $200.- Good thing I glued the old one!
Well after alot of work and stress I have my improved after-market speakers. If I had it to do over again, I would have left the whole thing alone! The sound if the front & rear speakers is quite different and its almost impossible to get a nice even sound from the front & rears. Thus I say this:
Either have a professional redo the whole system or leave your stock system alone. I wish I had.
Old 04-10-04, 09:52 PM
Four Door
Driver School Candidate

Default Speaker Replacement

Re replacing your speakers it can be done but be warned as garrick said that it isn't going to be easy. Lexus designed all the audio equipment just so you couldn't change out with ease, speker sizes are just slightly larger or smaller then stock aftermarket.