Sponsored by:

Rear deck woofer cover rattle

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-04, 01:00 PM
TO_SC300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Rear deck woofer cover rattle

To those who've replaced that stock free-air woofer in their SC300/400 with some 500+ watt double coil monster...

Has anyone come up with a trick to stop the damn rear deck woofer cover from rattling besides leaving it off? Anything with a serious bassline pops that puppy right off, let alone rattle it.

Cheers!
Old 04-05-04, 01:32 PM
Carbon J
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe turn down your bass, or try a tube a rubber seal around the cover.
Old 04-05-04, 01:48 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

dynamat
Old 04-05-04, 01:56 PM
TO_SC300
Driver School Candidate

Turn down the bass? Outrageous. Not an option

Dynamat? I've dynamatted the rear seats/deck, roof and doors. I read an article today, someone suggested dynamatting the rear deck COVER, that part that comes out which the speaker grills attach to. But this won't solve the problem. as the grill is riding on top of the woofer. Maybe a foam ring around the lip of the woofer...

Seriously though, I've seen some pretty ingenious things done to these cars, like the amp 'shelves' above the gas tank (kudos, worked fantastic)... someone must have come up with a solution for the rear woofer cover!
Old 04-05-04, 02:01 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

You can try some foam stickers. Then if you have some to spare, you can use it to keep your center arm rest tight down when it closes.
Old 04-05-04, 03:32 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

If the cover (mine is a third brakelight and since your handle has SC300 in it, I'm assuming yours is too) actually comes off when you turn it up, the cone of your sub must be hitting it directly.
No way can you produce enough air pressure to pop those clips off.
If the cone (or surround) is in fact hitting the brakelight, you're gonna have to consider:
a) Cutting away some of the plastic on the inside of the cover
b) Replacing the cover with a different one (a grill)
c) Turning down the bass a bit

If you don't mind me asking, what sub/amp are you using? Model#s?
Old 04-05-04, 05:04 PM
twankys
Driver

i have a 12w7 in my trunk and it rattles that sub factory grill real bad.....i took the grill off so now you can see the gas tank but i to had the same questions.....but i put some carpet back where the grill was back towards the back window and that helped out a lot with a lot of the rattling but i still cant put the grill back on cause it just rattles to bad......do you get rattling in your dome light or anywhere else? i dont have any dynamat in my trunk yet but it sounds good inside the car and if i have the windows cracked a little you cant here the trunk rattling....but i was going to put dynamat extreme in my whole trunk and see if that would help....anyone know if that owuld reduce the bass or would it make it a deeper tighter bass since its not rattling out of your trunk?but if you find something out about the factory sub girll let me know cause id like to put it back in insteas of having a big hole in the back
Old 04-06-04, 03:20 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

It sounds like you don't have the bracket for attaching the brake light housing in place?? If not, what are you attaching the brake light housing to? If you're just laying it there, there's no way to stop the rattle. (and I can understand "blowing it off" )

I'd suggest getting the mounting bracket from a stock sub (you have to destroy the sub to get it, but it's a cheap sub anyway). Bolt the bracket in where the original sub was and fasten the brake light housing to it. You may still need some dyanamat/raamat/whatever to stop the last few rattles, but it should be a major improvement.
Old 04-06-04, 04:34 PM
twankys
Driver

i have a spoiler on mine so there is no brakes light back there
Old 04-07-04, 12:52 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

so what was the grill attached to before you took out tjhe stock sub?
Old 04-07-04, 06:12 PM
twankys
Driver

there were 4 little plastic caps on the girll and then some metal clips on the rear deck for the caps on the grill to go into....i think what is rattling is the plastic when it goes inside of the metal....mine didnt rattle off it just rattled real bad
Old 04-07-04, 09:49 PM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

I myself have a 13w7 in my trunk. I have my trunk , behind my rear seats, and my rear deck (rear deck has 3 layers of carpet padding also, and the padding stopped rattling a little as well) covered with two layers of dynamat, my trunk lid has 4 layers of dynamat. My third brake light/the stock speaker cover is gone. And I still rattle like crazy... I have come to the conclusion that SC's just are not the right cars to have clean bass booming from them. Like someone else said, it sounds GREAT with the windows down, but with them up, I get some serious rattling, I actually think I started making more of the in the interior rattle. So in a nutshell, i'd hate to break it to you, but rattling won't stop. I really hope someone else proves me wrong.
Old 04-08-04, 02:31 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

I got all the rattles out of my SC (I'm running a 10IB4 in the stock location with a SoundStream 501 driving it). It IS possible to get rid of the rattles, it just takes some detective work to find them and kill 'em. The SC is a very sound (pardon the pun ) car. Judicious application of sound deadener, foam insulation, and carpet padding will get you a great sounding interior.
Old 04-08-04, 03:18 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Ah...the IB4 with Soundstream amp.
That's the exact setup I was looking at for the stock location but I couldn't find the JL anywhere since it was discontinued.

There are a lot of rattles in the panel that hangs off the roof.
A layer of dynamat there definitely helps.

Last edited by SPORTcoupe; 04-08-04 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-08-04, 05:08 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

"Drive it like you own it. Race it like you stole it."
Never argue with an idiot.
They drag you down to their level
then beat you with experience

SPORTcoupe: First time I saw that! FUNNY!