Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Used the cupholder slot of the SC4 to install a custom bracket for Sirius/XM PnP unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-04, 10:35 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Used the cupholder slot of the SC4 to install a custom bracket for Sirius/XM PnP unit

I've had an AudioVox PnP2 Sirius satellite radio unit for several months, and finally got around to fabricating a bracket to mount it in my SC400. Until now, I was using the "jam it against the windshield" technique (see photo below) because I was driving 2 separate cars. But since I'll start driving the SC more often, here's how I made a bracket to mount my PnP in a more permanent manner:

Below you can see the familiar top area of the SC console and as I was removing it the other day to tap into the cigarette lighter socket (more on that later), I noticed the cupholder/cell phone pocket on the right might be a suitable mounting area to bolt a bracket to.

Here you see a piece of scrap metal that I had in my garage for the past decade or so (my garage is full of such stuff, 99% of which I'll never use). But I'm glad I kept this particular piece since it is thick enough (1/8") to be solid, yet thin enough to bend to the needed shape- perfect material to use for my bracket.

Below is what the pocket looks like after the trim panel has been popped off the console. There's plenty of posts on CL on how to remove it- just be careful not to drop those screws down into the shifting mechanism (<-- the voice of experience!). You can see where I've drilled the rear mounting hole, and towards the front I've drilled another. The further apart those two holes are drilled, the more solid the mounting bracket will be.

Here's the bracket after some hacksawing, filing, sanding and drilling. There was a bit of trial and error involved here so this was one of more time-consuming parts of the entire process. Notice that the 2 holes on the left have been tapped- that way I'll only need a bolt from above and if the bolt is of the right length, no nuts or threads will protrude from inside the pocket. The multiple holes on the right allow me to vary the mounted height of the AudioVox.

I was about to paint the bracket black but couldn't find any primer in my garage (probably about the ONLY thing that ISN'T in my garage!). But while digging through my garage I came across some black heat-shrink tubing and gave that a try. Glad I did- it's a flat black that matches the plastic of the AudioVox, covers the unused mounting holes and is much more resistant to scratches and dents than paint is.

Below is the test-fitting of the bracket. To get it perfectly upright I had to remove it a few times and place it in a vise and bend it ever so slightly. It's not as slanted as the rest of the dash, but that's just a personal preference to keep the AudioVox PnP more upright.

Here's how I tapped into the cigarette lighter to run a power cable through the center of the console to the rear. I tapped into the red (+) and the white-with-brown-stripe (-) wires leading to the cigarette lighter and ran a 16 gauge wire rearward. It terminates into a female cig lighter socket, dangling near where the passenger's left toes would be. When not needed, there's room to shove it up into the lower dash area.

Here's the AudioVox PnP2 mounted to its bracket, and you can see where the power cable goes. The antenna position you see is not permanent- I primarily drive around town and here in Los Angeles there are Sirius repeaters all over so I don't need to place my antenna on my roof except for long trips. The extra wire is coiled up on a spool behind the PnP so I can unreel it when I leave town.

If you wish to see larger versions of the above photos, you can see the same sequence of pics on page 3 of my SoundDomain web page:

http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/206749

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 04-05-04 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-05-04, 10:39 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

VERY nice handy work

Old 04-06-04, 02:21 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Nice job Perry, we still gotta hook up soon. My work schedule is just hectic right now. Man I need a vacation...
Old 04-06-04, 06:29 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks clean man. You gonna be at the simi valley meet so I can check this out in person?

Tim
Old 04-06-04, 07:10 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Thanks, Tim! This is the first I've heard of the 4/18/04 Simi Valley, CA thing, since I don't check that regional forum very often. I might be going- I'll let you know if I do with a PM. If I don't, I've made it to the Fontana meet and the Carson Toyota meet 2 years in a row, so maybe you can check it there.

(Warning: there's not much to see- it's just a piece of bent metal. Flatten a black soda straw and bend it for a realistic simulation!)
Old 04-06-04, 07:13 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by PERRYinLA
Thanks, Tim! This is the first I've heard of the 4/18/04 Simi Valley, CA thing, since I don't check that regional forum very often. I might be going- I'll let you know if I do with a PM. If I don't, I've made it to the Fontana meet and the Carson Toyota meet 2 years in a row, so maybe you can check it there.

(Warning: there's not much to see- it's just a piece of bent metal. Flatten a black soda straw and bend it for a realistic simulation!)
Yeah, I know, just trying to get another fellow SC owner to the meet Esp. since I'm not going to know anyone there since I'm driving in from OK. But like you said, if you can't make it, I'll see you at Carson since I'll be a permanent fixture in the CA come May
Old 04-08-04, 02:53 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Hey Tim, where are you moving too? I'm looking for a pad in LA right now actually. I live in Long Beach at the moment and drive into downtown LA everyday for work...not exactly the nicest commute. I'll be at the Carson meet this year too, God willing...my car is stock as a **** though, well except for a few minor mods.

Last edited by mikeloc24; 04-08-04 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-28-04, 12:28 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

UPDATE: The original antenna in the pics above started acting up, so before the one-year warranty expired I returned it to AudioVox and they promptly sent me an updated replacement antenna. You can see from the pic below that it is smaller than the outline of the previous design (it's much thinner, too).
Attached Thumbnails Used the cupholder slot of the SC4 to install a custom bracket for Sirius/XM PnP unit-siri0001.jpg  
Old 10-28-04, 12:38 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

....so now the lower profile antenna tucks nicely into the far forward area of the dash:
Attached Thumbnails Used the cupholder slot of the SC4 to install a custom bracket for Sirius/XM PnP unit-siri004.jpg  
Old 10-28-04, 12:42 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Very very nice.
Old 10-28-04, 02:10 PM
TopSCecreT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

awesome

something i'll consider trying when i have time and if you don't mind
Old 10-29-04, 01:28 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Perry!

Where've you been hiding man?
Old 10-29-04, 02:16 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Perry,

If my plan doesn't work out I will "borrowing" your idea!!!

My only thing is that I really want to integrate it into the center console, as opposed to it sitting out.

Are you happy with your results after having it there for a while? Does it ever get a little loose and vibrate like crazy?? That would drive me insane!!

Peace man,
Jonny
Old 10-29-04, 03:42 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Hi Mike! I was in Alaska and NY, but I'm back now!

Midnite- Of course you can do the same- hence this thread! Let me know if I can help in any way.

Jonny- As you know, the technology keeps changing. I don't intend for this to be a permanent solution, but for now it works fine. Maybe someday I can put some sort of satellite unit in the trunk, tapping into the CD lines, remotely controlled from the front with some thin panel (kinda like the 1st generation Jensens but with a better display). Once that sort of set up is available, everything I just put in is easily removable without leaving any marks (or maybe I'll leave the bracket and hang a cell phone on it (if I ever get a cell phone, that is!)).

As for the vibrations, it does shake from time to time depending upon the road surface, but never to the point where it is annoying or hard to read. Lucky you- your XM Roady (or even the new AudioVox PnP3) is quite a bit smaller and lighter (and cheaper) than my 1-year old PnP2, so anyone starting out now would have the advantage of a smaller and lighter head unit to deal with.

If you can handle the expense, satellite radio is the best toy I ever got for my car, and anyone considering adding satellite radio to their SC should first check out www.XMfan.com and/or www.SiriusBackstage.com to help them choose the best head unit to suit their needs.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 10-31-04 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-29-04, 06:10 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Perry,

Yeah, I have had XM for quite some time, but I just kinda had the unit just stuck in the hole!! While I am spending so much time on the car I figured I could try something different. I appreciate your time to respond,

Regards,
Jonny

Quick Reply: Used the cupholder slot of the SC4 to install a custom bracket for Sirius/XM PnP unit