Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Sc300 - Carputer Almost done

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-04, 08:54 PM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much did this all cost? I always thought that I could just lug my laptop around in the car but your carputer makes me think otherwise.
Old 04-08-04, 08:58 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was looking into this, but I think I'll hold off until Via rolls out their new Nano-ITX form factor -- 120MM x 120MM motherboard with VIA 6 Channel Audio, SATA, USB 2.0, VGA (S3 Unicrome or something), DDR SODIMM, and a miniPCI slot. /me drools

I was thinking I'd mount it under the passenger seat so I could still use my glove box and run the VGA & USB cable to the touch screen via the center console. This would allow me to quickly disconnect the actual computer and bring it inside for safe keeping & maintenance/upgrades/weight reduction :-).

I'm also planning on using it as my stereo system -- Surround sound anyone? This would also solve the conundrum of the ugly looking head unit upgrade. I have yet to see an aftermarket head unit in a SC that looks OEM & flows with the dash. 1 DIN is silly, and 2 DINs never have the same style buttons or interface.

Big Monkey, props on the interface -- it looks really clean and easy to use.

My one question is why a seagate 160? Isn't that a 7200 RPM drive? I'd think something spinning that fast would generate some heat (I've heard of seagates cooking themselves off). With a 1 GHz Via CPU, you're not screaming anyways. That all said, I'd still be tempted to do RAID-0 if the mobo supported it :-)

Hmmm.. thinking of RAID-0. Why not try for an Athlon64 mATX? bah... power problems galore.

Anyway, very sweet -- can't wait to see the finished product.

if you're looking and wondering what the heck this ITX stuff is, check out www.mini-itx.com/ they've got a list of inane and crazy m-ITX installs. Along with some nano-ITX teasers!

John

(Former ) IT Director
Lexus & Toyota of Watertown
Old 04-08-04, 09:36 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by SupraCoup3
I was looking into this, but I think I'll hold off until Via rolls out their new Nano-ITX form factor -- 120MM x 120MM motherboard with VIA 6 Channel Audio, SATA, USB 2.0, VGA (S3 Unicrome or something), DDR SODIMM, and a miniPCI slot. /me drools
I have one
Old 04-08-04, 09:46 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

oh crap, why'd you have to tell me that?

Where'd you get it? I thought via hadn't rolled them out yet? (the n-ITX & m-ITX equipment isn't as easy to find as the regular stuff -- THG doesn't devote much to it, and newegg doesn't do jack!)

C'mon, spill the goods! :-)

JT
Old 04-08-04, 09:50 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Everything will be revealed together including all the car powertrain upgrades.
Old 04-09-04, 05:55 AM
bigmonkey70
Rookie

Hermosa: You can get Mediacar and those skins on mp3car.com.

John: Why 160GB seagate? Because its cost only $80. I mounted the drive externally away from the glove compartment so the heat that drive generate isn't an issue for me. I use carputer mainly for mp3 and GPS, so i figure a faster transfer rate drive will help reduce the skipping. At home I tested both the 5400 and 7200RPM and the 5400 does skip once in a while. I looked at the 2.5mm drives and that might be my next upgrade.

LOL I know about the ITX stuffs... My MB is a mini-ITX... I read alot about the new nano-itx but didn't know that Hermosa beat me to one ....
Old 04-09-04, 06:33 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

hmm...well... 80 bucks for a seagate 160 is a hard deal to pass by! I posted that link not for you, but for other people looking at your setup and thinking "how is that possible?" Seeing as how you have an ITX mobo I'm sure you visited all those sites long ago.

2.5 HDDs spin at 4200 RPMs some at 5400

but the big thing about the rotational speed: It's got nothing to do with throughput. It's seek time.

10,000 RPM = 5.x ms seek time
7200 = ~8.5 ms seek time.
5400 = 12 ms or so

I can't see how a 5400 RPM ATA 100 drive can't sustain a ~34-75 K/S transfer rate needed to decode a mp3. If it really was the rotational speed that causes skipping, then laptops wouldn't be able to play mp3s, because most of the HDDs in laptops are 4200 RPM, with newer laptops having 5400 RPM drives.

Unless you buy a laptop from voodoopc -- then it'll have a 7200 RPM laptop drive, but an hour of battery life!

I think the skipping is due to CPU cycles getting sucked up -- some service or application running in the background that consumes all your resources.

just my .02

John

Last edited by SupraCoup3; 04-09-04 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-09-04, 05:11 PM
Suprast4R
Pole Position

Default Re: Carputer

Originally posted by mikeloc24
Bigmonkey70, that's hot! I love it...makes me think of the batmobile! That's so much more useful than a TV to have in your car. I started to get a tv in mine and then said to myself "dude, you watch tv at home, not on the road...you don't need that, it won't get you anymore punannie" Ha ha ha, but seriously that's hot. I give a thumbs up!
I'd take a tv in the car for the annoying traffic jams!

and sitcoms could always calm you down in the heat of traffic or during road rage.

Last edited by Suprast4R; 04-09-04 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-09-04, 06:01 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

I'd say monty python's "always look on the bright side of life" is the best song for those days when a soccer mom screaming at her brat whilst driving a H2 nearly runs over you and your baby.

A close second could be the sign for route 1.
Old 04-09-04, 10:57 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

thats just freaking awesome... I expect when you release 2.0, you already got the watch and able to go "kit come a pick me up", "OK Michael" .. Keep it up!!!
Old 04-11-04, 07:02 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Is there anything available on the market in a complet package that would do all this and engine management? Or is this all custom period? Really cool stuff.

Nevermind - found it.

Last edited by awj; 04-11-04 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-11-04, 04:35 PM
Pyroneer
Rookie

Engine management might be a little tricky, but what you can do is "Engine viewing".

The 96 and after have the OBD-II sockets, which can easily be interfaced via a PC's serial port (or through the USB port with some converters). This provides data such as speed, rpm's and whatnot, which you could then write a program to display some cool gauges or just record data.

I want to say that the port updates itself at most once or twice every second, so getting a completly accuracte 1/4 mile time isn't really feasible, but theres lots of possibilities.

I have found with playing around with the car computers and stereos is that it is nice to still have a normal head unit vice just plugging the outputs of your computer straight into the amps. Having immediate access to a hard-wired volume control is nothing to take for granted (and before anybody says anything about Griffin Powermates and stuff, don't forget that a program needs to be running on a computer that is not in the middle of locking up in order for that volume control to work.

Sorry for the long post. Check out www.mp3car.com for lots of cool project ideas.
Old 04-12-04, 04:20 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

saw something in a paper ad the other day:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...1043&CatId=110

its the size of a ballpoint pen; only downside is 128mb RAM, its SODIMM, so toss in a 512 stick instead... and run a external usb harddrive under the passenger seat for your mp3s
Old 04-12-04, 05:40 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You guys are awesome - props for the work!! I wish I had the ingenuity to come up with that!! I'm still trying to come up with an idea to fill a gap I have - if anyone feels like helping me with ideas I will send a pic of what I need to fill.

Thx and props once again,

Peace

Jonny
Drinkdontdrive@aol.com