Sponsored by:

Diamond Audio S600 Tweeter

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-04 | 04:49 PM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

Default Diamond Audio S600 Tweeter

Hey guys.

I had some extended listening time w/ my system today and dummy me had the stereo cranked a little too loud. As a result, I blew the right side tweeter.

Does anyone know if the tweeter (model # S.0ts = silk tweet, S.0ta =aluminum) is available separately? In addition to this which is better construction for a tweeter when used at extended high volume......aluminum or silk?

I actually have a set of Dynaudio drivers, but I would need to modify my door panels in order for them to fit. I have the MD-130 8 ohm tweeters and the MW170 7" 4 ohm midbass drivers.

Thanks for any and all help.
Old 04-20-04 | 07:34 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Marken,

If you've got it, use it. Mod out those panels for the MD130. They'll take a high power rating and won't even break a sweat.

Percy
Old 04-20-04 | 03:17 PM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

Alright, Percy.

It took about 3 years, but I contacted the guy last night who is going to redo my door panels to fit the Dynaudio components.

I remember having this conversation w/ you for years now, but it's finally going to happen. I'm still concerned about having an 8 ohm tweeters w/ a 4 ohm midrange/midbass driver. I have heard the horror stories of front stage drivers using mixed impedances.

Do I have any legitimate worries?

I am using my existing Precision Power PCH -4100 (the really long one) to power the Dyn's, while I have the Alpine MRV-1507 to power 3-10" JL Audios. NO rear fill, but I'm thinking if I can replace the bloqn Diamond Audio tweet, then I'll move those components to the rear for good quality rear fill.

I'm also pondering buying the Focals from "Hoebag" in Texas, but if I'm going to do Focals, I'd rather that they be the Utopia line & not "K" series (1 step down).
Old 04-20-04 | 04:10 PM
GaryDell
Rookie

Znom is pretty much meaningless. Efficiency is the concern. Have you built the xover yet, or did your drivers come with one? Or will you be bi-amping?

Regardless, you're making a great choice, I was never even remotely impressed with my older Hexes...
Old 04-20-04 | 04:45 PM
Percy

Marken,

You should be ok - no worries at all with the Dyns. When you're all done pluggin and chuggin, let me know. Don't forget the Pizza and Pepsi.

Percy
Old 04-20-04 | 07:53 PM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

Originally posted by GaryDell
Znom is pretty much meaningless. Efficiency is the concern. Have you built the xover yet, or did your drivers come with one? Or will you be bi-amping?

Regardless, you're making a great choice, I was never even remotely impressed with my older Hexes...
Using the PPI PCH4100, I will be effectively bi-amping the Dyns in the front soundstage. I purchased the raw Dyn drivers b/c I will be using my existing Rockford Symmetry w/ 28 band eq card ('ol school, I know) to tailor the sound of the Dyns and use the built in electronic variable crossover.

I like the flexibility that the Symmetry gives me in addition to the VDISC feature at differnet volume settings, but I still use my 1005 for overall system volume control. I'm curious as to what other Alpine monitor-style head unit has really good frequency response & high quality internal components? I really don't know if Alpine in general makes a good head unit to begin with, as I'm using the 1005 b/c I had in a closet for years now.

My existing Hex's are running through the Symmetry right now & although I know one tweeter is out, it still sounds pretty clean. I do agree that the Dyn setup should place me worlds apart from the Hex's. I think that w/ the Dyn drivers that I have, I hope to attain a high level S"Q"L.

I like the looks on people's faces when I'm at a light playing some Burt Baccarat or instrumental arrangement song and it sounds so clean & clear that you'd swear an orchestra is on my dashboard.

Since I'm pushing ahead to complete the panels, I hope that I achieve my goals. Percy knows it's been a long time comming. I think I'm also going to have a second set of door panels made in the event another fellow GS audiophile wants to get their doors "done" also.

Last edited by lexlyf; 04-20-04 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-20-04 | 08:24 PM
Percy

Marken,

It's been so long ago that I grew a few gray hairs since then...

Be sure to post pics of the finished product!

Percy
Old 04-21-04 | 04:53 AM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Percy
Marken,

It's been so long ago that I grew a few gray hairs since then...

Be sure to post pics of the finished product!

Percy
hahaha!!!!