Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Someone has to....Darn it!!! (factory-looking Nav/DVD system)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-04, 09:14 AM
CaMsGS3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I can post the Info in this thread since it belongs in this section

I found a bit more info on this Unit, this info came from bryangleeson @ e46fanatics.com

"I first saw the Eclipse peice at the CES show in Las Vegas In January 2004. I go to the CES show ever year. I work for a company that sells product like this exclusively to car dealerships, fleets and leasing companies.

I have had Navigation systems in my vehicles since before they became comercially available. I have a good knowledge of the whole telematics category. Anyway without be labouring the point the Eclipse unit is by far the best unit I have ever tested. i have had it ny 2004 GMC Denali for about a month. I am awaiting delivery of my wifes 2004 325i and plan to install an additional Eclipse unit in that vehicle.

I have been doing some research on how to mount the unit. Since it replaces all head unit functions it is nessacary to move the cliamate controls to the lower console. I was trying to source the trim bezel from the the factory unit. As far as the steering whell mounted radio controls go , no problem. Our company has had alot of experience with the SWIX adapter from Peripheral Components. It works exceptioanlly well with most of the vehicles for which it is recomended.

I have had extensive use of units from Alpine which are all exceptional products. Most recently I have used the pioneer Systems but was not overly inpressed. The beautiful thin about the Eclipise unit is that it is a touch screen, plays DVDs (even while in motion if you cheat on install) has a dual drive mechanism so you can play CDS or even CDS with MP3.

The graphics are wonderful and the sound is superb. The unit has additional inputs so you can add an additional source. In my vehicle I have it connected to a Roseish A9 all in one Overhead DVD system so that I can play a movie on the rear screen and watch it in the fron t or vice versa. The input could also be used for a an audio input like an IPOD. Another really cool feature is Eclipse provides a dedicated input for a rear camera model BEC 103. It simply plugs into the rear of the headunit and requires no forther wiring. The camera is one of the smallest I have ever tested but provides possibly the best picture. It is enhanced by a fish eye view. The best of all features is the overall design. The unit unlike most is a double DIN chassis so the screen fills up the entire face of the radio. Unlike most indash screens that are fold out motorized screens they do not have a factory installed appearence. The Eclipse is quite possible the perfect car infotainment product. I plan to add the unit to our website soon www.mass.ca In the meantime the is information on some of the othernavigation system that we offer. The website is primarilly set up for General Motors. Skip the vehicle search function as there is not alot of BMW support there but the proudcut is all relavant"
Old 05-19-04, 09:15 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally posted by CaMsGS3
sup guys yea im in the same situtation as you guys , didnt want the screen to popout out of the dash -

Over the past couple of days Ive been doing some searching on these Double-Din TouchScreensand like Blue98Gs3 said kenwood and Eclipse are the only ones that i came up with -

I dont really like the kenwood because of the GUI, That Eclipse AVN2454 looks hot and i think is the best for the money

I wish i would i found this thread earlier - Check out this thread AVN2454 Info/Pics
Has all the Info I got on this Eclipse Unit with a couple of install pics
The Eclipse Website has very little info on their screens....

Like Dave said I would also like to know if this can fit in our GS's ( i asked alot of questions in the other thread,guess it was in the wrong spot )

Now As far as getting one of these Eclipse (AVN2454)Units - They are very hard to get and you will be paying over retail for them - one of these units just sold on ebay for $1900 - A STEAL
They are going for around $2500

Oh yea RMMGS4 setup is off the hook
Guys, don't want to let all the secrets of Phase III of my GS' spring makeover out of the bag, but I ordered the AVN 2454 the same day I last posted on this thread. It's just come in and I have an install scheduled for this upcoming Sunday. I'm adding the Eclipse CD changer in place of the OEM, also doing the rear view camera and a couple other little custom tweaks . I'll let you know how it turns out late next week.

I got it for a little over 2K at Tweeter (negotiated, not the price they sell it for)... I've had a lot of work done there and the guys at my local shop are pretty good.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-19-04 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-19-04, 09:19 AM
CaMsGS3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Guys, don't want to let all the secrets of Phase III of my GS' spring makeover out of the bag, but I ordered the AVN 2454 the same day I last posted on this thread. It's in and I have an install scheduled for this upcoming Sunday. I'm adding the Eclipse CD changer in place of the OEM, also doing the rear view camera and a couple other little custom tweaks . I'll let you know how it turns out late next week.

I got it for about 2K.

Please let us know ASAP with lots of PICS

Last edited by CaMsGS3; 05-19-04 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-23-04, 09:07 PM
CaMsGS3
Lead Lap

Dave do you know if this Eclipse unit can play MP3 DVD's - I know it can play MP3 on CD-R's but how bout on DVD +/- R
Old 05-23-04, 09:24 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Dave do you know if this Eclipse unit can play MP3 DVD's - I know it can play MP3 on CD-R's but how bout on DVD +/- R
That I don't know. I'm also getting the 8 disk changer which plays the CD-R MP3s so I can load up a couple of those with MP3s and have lots of music. From what I understand, the navigation DVD goes in the DVD slot (unless you're playing a DVD), so I don't think I'll personally doing it.

My install is later this week... if I can find a DVD with MP3s I can test it. I haven't tried burning them on my PC so that will be a much slower answer (one I'll probably never get to) .
Old 05-23-04, 09:58 PM
CaMsGS3
Lead Lap

Oh yea I forgot that the Nav DVD has to be in the drive when using navi, so that wouldnt be good anyway, playing a mp3 dvd disk

that 8 disk changer is a good idea, so if all 8 cds where mp3 disks its like having 5 gigs of songs

you think this would work? this unit has a RCA AUX input ?correct? do you think it would be possible to hook up a mini PC - it could be like a MP3 jukebox, my only concern is will the touchscreen work on that input?

Last edited by CaMsGS3; 05-23-04 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-24-04, 05:34 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Oh yea I forgot that the Nav DVD has to be in the drive when using navi, so that wouldnt be good anyway, playing a mp3 dvd disk

that 8 disk changer is a good idea, so if all 8 cds where mp3 disks its like having 5 gigs of songs

you think this would work? this unit has a RCA AUX input ?correct? do you think it would be possible to hook up a mini PC - it could be like a MP3 jukebox, my only concern is will the touchscreen work on that input?
Yes it has an RCA Aux input, I*'m getting that wired up and mounted in the glovebox so I can add use it for external stuff like a PS/2 or portable dvd player. Since it is only RCA connectors, I highly doubt the touchscreen will work to control your external device... when you think about it, there is no way for anything but the audio and video signal to go from your jukebox to the headunit and nothing to send any commands back. Touchscreen will work to control the HU functions, just not anything external unless it's specifically built to talk to the Eclipse and wired in using a compatible connector (like a Sirius controller, etc).
Old 06-14-04, 12:22 AM
RAristo
Lead Lap

Hello Dave,

Any update on your ECLIPSE project?
Old 06-14-04, 12:46 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Just done last Wednesday (almost done, still a little more to get completed that isn't quite perfect).

I haven't taken any completed pics yet, here's an in process

Old 06-14-04, 01:44 AM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

tweeter doesnt carry eclipse anymore so no luck there.

i found a friend that works at a local shop here in so cal and he says that he can get them for me for 1900 plus tax. im about to buy one in the next week. does anyone else want one, i can request to see if the price is good for everyone...
Old 06-15-04, 11:14 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Yeah, I got the last set of Eclipse stuff that Tweeter was able to order (learned that when I picked it up).

Pics I took quick and didn't clean the screen (sorry). Like I said earlier, the install isn't quite where I want it to be, but its pretty close.

- color of the AC bezel is slightly different in strong light
- edge of headunit doesn't exactly line up
- slight alternator whine

Other than that its great... here are pics of the install so far. I'll get more / better ones when I complete my full ' Phase III makeover' and post in the GS forum.

Tilt

All the way open

Movie

MP3 (note, the changer does not do Mp3s, only the single disk in dash)

Nav

Rear view camera (yes it can stay on when I drive)

Changer and RCA in for PS2, etc.

New GS430 bezel with blue K40 LEDs

Battery terminal and tie down update.
Old 06-17-04, 10:20 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the update Dave. How do you like the Nav? Have you used others to do a comparison?

I kind of like these options in the new Pioneer AVIC-N1:

Acceleration: Measures forward or backward G-Force and provides a peak hold indicator
Side Acceleration: Measures Lateral G-Force, indicating maximum cornering force, and provides a peak hold indicator
Angular Velocity: Measures turn rate
Speed: Measures your speed in Miles Per Hour (MPH)
Direction: Provides a compass with current direction: N, S, E or W
Slope: Indicates the incline or decline of your vehicle
Voltage: Keeps tabs on your vehicle’s electrical system, in volts
Clock: Displays the time

I don't know how well it works but it looks interesting. Too bad they do not have a double-din version like the Eclipse.
Old 06-17-04, 11:43 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Neo
Thanks for the update Dave. How do you like the Nav? Have you used others to do a comparison?
I haven't had much of a chance to work with it yet. I've literally driven the car back to the house from Tweeter, detailed it, drove it to HIN, drove it back and it's been in the garage since (raining outside).

Compared to the nav in my 1998 LS400 it seems about 200 times faster. It maps the routes very fast and presents me with three different route options to choose from. The split screen is nice and I can select what views I want to see on both. Very clear maps. Touchscreen works very well and is quite accurate - I would never buy one with a remote control to work it.

I'm told that Fujitsu (you read this too probably) makes the Nav units for the RX330 and GS470, so I wouldn't be suprised if it isn't the same software.

I got a Gtech Pro for my birthday, so I've got the other stuff covered, lol. Would be nice to have it built in, but I'm not a fan of the pop out screens like on that Pioneer.
Old 06-17-04, 12:05 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by DaveGS4
I'm not a fan of the pop out screens like on that Pioneer.
You and me both.
Old 06-17-04, 01:01 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a great looking setup Dave!!

Quick Reply: Someone has to....Darn it!!! (factory-looking Nav/DVD system)