Sponsored by:

Poor sound in rx300

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-04, 09:05 AM
vapor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor sound in rx300

I have a jeep laredo and an rx300. Both have identical subs and amps - e1200 jl's and 10's jl's. The same shop wired both. They had trouble with the lex. The lex music sounds weak compared to the jeep. I need to turn the gain almost to the max on the amp to get it to sound like the jeep. What could they have screwed up? What do they need to fix? I'm not liking this one bit.
Old 05-12-04, 11:10 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Relative headunit output and stock amp (if retained) gains may not be identical. You may have more output level that you're driving the new amp with in the Jeep case. This can be checked by your shop, assuming they're qualified.

Last edited by engin_ear; 05-12-04 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-12-04, 11:27 AM
vapor
Driver School Candidate

what is the fix for this. the shop said they were going to check some phase thing or the other. and then if this is ok, they want to run a line converter at about 150 to 200 bucks. That sound about right? I'm thinking that i should take that 200 bucks and put a bigger amp in there assuming they will allow me to swap it out on their pocket and i pay the difference
Old 05-12-04, 11:42 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

You need to have them check the preamp signals that they're driving the new amp with - they are either getting them directly from the headunit, or from the stock amp's output. The headunit output may be miswired into the amp. Without looking at it myself, I can't tell you what the exact fix is. If they tapped of the stock amp and are going into the new amp, there should be a line-level converter in there to reduce the speaker level outputs to line level. A bigger amp will not solve your problem, the amp and woofer are already OK, as per your Jeep. It the input wiring that needs to be checked/fixed. One other thing you could try is to take the amp and test it in another car or on a bench to make sure that it is working OK.
Old 05-12-04, 03:48 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

everything said so far is true..... however check one simple thing b4 you do anything.... where did they tap off of for the sub wires. did they go from the rear doors, amp or headunit? bc these arnt the best spots for the RX. there is a dedicated sub under the passenger seat. they should tap off that.

if they went off the rear door speakers, the frequency doesnt go low enough into the bass frequencies. (30, 40, 50hz etc) however also note, the stock sub has a frequency cut off. it plays these lower end frequencies, but i believe stops around (35hz and below) so all the good low end in the 25 and 30 hz range is cut off so it wont damage the stock sub.

I have a big system in my RX and im fustrated i cant get these low end frequencies. only way is to replace the headunit etc.

hope this helps
Old 05-12-04, 06:34 PM
vapor
Driver School Candidate

I believe that is it. The low end frequencies is what is the problem. It's very difficult to get the ghetto boom. I think I will just have to live with this one. The system is good and clean but low end on cd's which don't have a lot of low end pose a problem.
Old 05-13-04, 07:15 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Maybe you could try an Epicenter if nothing else can solve your problem.

www.audiocontrol.com
Old 05-13-04, 06:11 PM
vapor
Driver School Candidate

Today, while driving home from work, I turned off the radio for a quite drive. Loud nasty hum from the subs. Turned down the remote gain on the amp. Any hole, bump in the road, brings a hum. What gives? What is the problem with this wiring? It's going in to the shop where it was wired? Any heads up?
Old 05-17-04, 07:33 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Sounds like improper grounding & maybe bad connections. Better have them check it all out - rethink the wiring philosophy and make sure all connections are good.
Old 05-17-04, 08:46 AM
vapor
Driver School Candidate

gave the guys the instructions, and they tapped into the sub under the passenger seat. this thing rocks now. serious bass. thanks for the help
Old 05-17-04, 09:06 AM
j2tha0e
Pole Position

Originally posted by engin_ear
Sounds like improper grounding & maybe bad connections. Better have them check it all out - rethink the wiring philosophy and make sure all connections are good.
yupp.... having been a kid a little while ago and making mistakes with my system, what you have sounds totally like a grounding issue and/or +/- wrong.
that place skrewed you bro. you should never have to turn your gain up that much. time to go to a shop that know's what they're doing to a lex.
Old 05-17-04, 09:08 AM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

so now after tapping into the stock sub, everything works fine, I knew they went off the back speakers. well im glad you like the more bass, and just think.... your not even getting the real low end frequencies
Old 05-17-04, 10:16 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Glad you got your problem fixed. Think about going to a different installer next time.