Sponsored by:

Stereo upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-04 | 07:34 PM
byhisgrace
Driver School Candidate

Default Stereo upgrade question

Hi,
I just got a '92 SC 400 a couple days ago. It has the factory deck that is cassette only. I have seen some factory Nak decks and CD changers in the classified section but I do not know if the existing wiring that I have will work or not. Does anyone know?

Thanks for your help.
Brad
Old 05-31-04 | 07:36 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

factory pioneer decks aren't compatable with the Nakamichi sound system -- it's got a five channel amp, you've got a 4 channel amp, plus a 40 watt mono amp for your stock sub. Can't just switch head units unfortunately.

Are you sure you don't have a CD changer in the trunk?
Old 05-31-04 | 07:42 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

moved to the correct forum
Old 05-31-04 | 09:27 PM
byhisgrace
Driver School Candidate

SupraCoup3,
Thanks for the reply. I'm sure I don't have a CD changer. My head unit doesn't even have buttons marked for it. However, I assume that if I bought a complete Nak set-up (that included the wiring to go from the head unit to CD changer) I could just splice into my current harness. I am confident that I could determine the proper wires. Plus, I'll probably use my own amlifier as well. Am I too hopeful in getting a CD changer in my car?

Thanks,
Brad
Old 05-31-04 | 10:15 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

i think it would be cheaper to sell your existing equipment and buying aftermarket HU and changer rather than moving to a nak system
Old 06-01-04 | 05:28 AM
byhisgrace
Driver School Candidate

persian 451,
Originally, I was just planning on getting an aftermarket head unit and changer but there would still be the volume **** from the factory radio just sitting there on the dash not being used. Maybe i'm being too **** about it. Thanks for the reply though!

Brad
Old 06-01-04 | 09:19 AM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

why would there be a volume **** left? i thought that is part of the original HU
Old 06-01-04 | 09:28 PM
byhisgrace
Driver School Candidate

On mine the power/volume **** is separate from (just to the left of) the head unit. Direclty below the A/C ****.

Brad
Old 06-01-04 | 10:29 PM
tpham7
Pole Position

I just kept my stock deck and spliced into the wiring in the back deck ( near the third brake light) and ran a low line converter into RCA for my new amp and subs. Works great, except that it would sound much better if I had an aftermarket HU, but that would be too much custom work for fitting 2.5 DIN and the add on kit from importtoys.com cost $50 + s/h for just a piece of plastic is just a waste of money IMO.

just my 2 cents.
Old 06-02-04 | 10:42 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by byhisgrace
On mine the power/volume **** is separate from (just to the left of) the head unit. Direclty below the A/C ****.

Brad
Persian has an LS so he may not be familiar with the dash set-up of the SC. Yes, your volume control **** would be rendered useless if you went to an aftermarket head unit, but in reality no one would know but you or other **** SC owners. I've seen where SC owners have wired up that button to control the bass in their subs so you can get creative and do that if you wish.

As for buying an installation kit I also agree it's a waste of money. Make your own using a sheet of black ABS plastic. Just cut it and sand it and form it to your needs, you should be able to fashion a great looking faceplate for your aftermarket HU. This way at least the HU will be recessed slightly and the installation will look cleaner leaving ample room for your shifter to slide. The 2.5din is what makes it a challenge, but it's a minor challenge at best. If you do go aftermarket I've seen several nice looking HU's made by Rosen and other companies that fill that space quite nicely.
Old 06-03-04 | 08:06 AM
jonathancl
Racer

this shows pictures of the sc deck wiring harnesses. the volume **** really complicates things.

http://www.intellexual.net/faq/lexusstereo.swf