Sponsored by:

Volume knob hard to turn

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-04, 01:16 PM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Volume **** hard to turn

I have a 2001 GS 300 and the volume **** on the radio is difficult to turn the first time you adjust the volume and then performs ok. Is this a common problem. My dealer frowned on it stating there was no specification. I do not feel my fingers should slip on the **** when trying to adjust the volume. I told him there was no specification for the $800 he qouted on the 30K service either and when my radio is replaced I will allow them to do the service.
Old 06-02-04, 04:43 PM
HoracioGS4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry, i've never heard of that problem...good luck getting it fixed...
Old 06-02-04, 07:56 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

XYZLexus1:

I've never heard of that issue before either. While you could just take it to an electronics repair shop to replace the volume **** (I'm guessing about $80), is your car still under warranty? If so, I'd have them fix it. It should be easy to turn (can turn mine with my pinky).

And $800 for the 30K service? Yikes, pretty pricey. . . Have you asked for an itemized list of what they do? Or did they just say $800 and nothing else as to what services they are going to do. If you look at your manual for the 30K service, a lot of it is just inspections and maybe some fluid changes. What I would do (if I can't do the service myself, I feel is too messy, or don't have the time) is to have the dealer do selective things for a XX-K mile service on my car, that way you can save some money on it. Speaking of regular maintenance, I think you can find that you can do about 95% of it yourself. If you need some tips/instructions on a certain service, let me know, or you can do a search here on CL for some archived info on doing them.

Good luck w/ the radio.
Old 06-02-04, 08:36 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

XYZ -- Imasmuch as your car is under warranty, I would just tell them to replace the head unit. If they aren't willing to do it, tell them you'll go to a different dealership that will (and get your 30k service done at the same time). I can't understand why they are giving you a hard time about this. It's no skin off their back -- they can charge the labor to Lexus and make some decent money on the service. I would insist on it. Let us know what happens.

e-man
Old 06-03-04, 06:28 AM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

Thanks for all the replies. I am between a rock and a hard spot with this car when it comes to service. I am / used to be a mechanic. I can easily perform all the inpsections and routine maintenance. To be honest whenever someone services the car I end up dragging them around by the shirt collar pointing out issues they created. For example at the 15K service they put 10 oz to much transmission fluid in so when the transmission got hot it was overfilled, when the replaced my headlight assembly due to condensation, they forgot to put the bolts back in the fender skirt, when they looked for the water leak in my trunk they forgot to tighten the tie downs, when they were looking for a rattle they forgot to put the acorn nuts back on my engine cover.
Old 06-03-04, 06:32 AM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

Hit the wrong button before I was done sorry. One thing that is valuable when you sell the car is the documented maintenance through the dealer for two reasons. First it gives a record of the actual miles on the car, with all the odometer roll backs it is nice to have an outside record. Second the majority of people feel better with dealer service than individual.

As far as the radio, I still have over a year left on the original warranty before the CPO kicks in. The volume **** gets very stiff when it gets cold, so I will wait until this fall when it is very difficult to turn and bring it back to their attention.

This is one of the "premium" Lexus dealerships according to the websight. At least in Houston their are 4 dealerships, so I have 3 more to go to.