Best Sounding 4" Under $100 ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-04, 04:34 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Sounding 4" Under $100 ???

Okay, here's the deal.
I need to replace my factory 4" speakers. Which would be the best sounding 4" speakers for an SC400 equipped with the Nakamichi audio system?
I'm only interested in 4" speakers - no 5.25 or 6.25 please.
They must be under $100 per pair.
I need to buy (4) speakers total.
These will be working in conjunction with the factory amp as I don't want to purchase another amp.
Old 06-05-04, 08:57 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Well, personally I would suggest Focal, they make a couple different line-ups in 4 inchers, the cheapest of which is 200 dollars. I would really suggest these, they are awesome to say the least, great sounding.

http://www.purecaraudio.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=1927
Old 06-05-04, 10:07 PM
claus44
Driver

Front
CDT CL-4 Mid Range, needs a little modification to fit, use the stock cross over and stock tweeter - $69 shipped from thezeb.com

Rear Fill
CDT CL-4X coaxial or CDT CL-5X. No matter which you you get, you can get the speakers in with a little mod to the stock bracket. It wasn't hard at all to fit the 5X into the stock housing, just some cutting and dremaling. The mid bass I got from these were incredible, totally over powered the stock sub. Both sizes are currently on special, $49.95 shipped from thezeb.com

check out the reviews for CDT. i don't think there's anything else under $200 that can beat these.
Old 06-06-04, 06:33 AM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Originally posted by claus44

The mid bass I got from these were incredible, totally over powered the stock sub.

[/B]
I'm looking for crisp vocals. The factory sub has more than enough bass for me. Would I be better off with the CDT-CL4X or 5X ? They both have the same tweeter apparently, and are the same price. I just don't want the bass to distort the vocals and mids.
Old 06-06-04, 06:46 PM
claus44
Driver

no worries about distorts. I only mentioned it to let you know that they still give you good bass even with their tiny size. CDT's are known for their crispness, detail, and especially vocal.(check out the reviews at various consumer review sites and car audio review sites) These are not like the cheap speakers that uses heavey mid bass to try to cover their bad sound and make a very muffled sound. I have quite a few friends from MI (musician's institute in hollywood) and they can't believe how these sound for their low low low price tag. I went with CL-5X because I will eventually upgrade my fronts to a larger size later on, and these rear fills will not have any problem co-existing with dyn or focal fronts. They serve their mission as rear fills very nicely and at an amazing price.
Old 06-06-04, 07:17 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

boston acoustics
FX4 Boston Acoustic 4"
Old 06-07-04, 09:19 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vote goes to the bostons as well, quite musical speakers
Old 06-08-04, 11:36 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

At that price level, Bostons, a/d/s, or MB Quarts. Focal's are great, but as Blue98 stated, they're more expensive. I've seen some a/d/s 4" pairs on ebay for about $65 a while back - can't be beaten for price vs. sound vs quality.
Old 06-21-04, 08:39 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

I ended up with a set of the CDT speakers. 4" coaxial in the rear and 4" woofers in the front doors. The rears were a PITA to get to - had to remove seats, side panels, etc. The fronts were not bad comparitively speaking. Had to use the dremel on the housing of both the front and rear to get them to fit. Oh, the bolt pattern was different as well. I just notched the speaker to get it to fit correctly. The factory Nak's were in rough shape to say the least. The rubber surround was all but gone on fronts and rears had deteriorated to nothingness. New setup sounds great. I'm running all this with the factory Nak amp and it's sounds fine - much better than the factory speakers for obvious reasons.
Old 06-23-04, 07:58 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad it worked out for you.
Old 06-23-04, 03:11 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally posted by Nomis
I ended up with a set of the CDT speakers. 4" coaxial in the rear and 4" woofers in the front doors. The rears were a PITA to get to - had to remove seats, side panels, etc. The fronts were not bad comparitively speaking. Had to use the dremel on the housing of both the front and rear to get them to fit. Oh, the bolt pattern was different as well. I just notched the speaker to get it to fit correctly. The factory Nak's were in rough shape to say the least. The rubber surround was all but gone on fronts and rears had deteriorated to nothingness. New setup sounds great. I'm running all this with the factory Nak amp and it's sounds fine - much better than the factory speakers for obvious reasons.
did you swap out your sub?

CEO
Old 06-23-04, 09:50 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Originally posted by THE_CEO
did you swap out your sub?

CEO
Believe it or not the speaker surround on the sub has absolutely no dry rot whatsoever. It's still in there and sounds fine. The new speakers compliment it nicely. I'm pretty sure the Naks had a foam surround hence their demise. The factory sub may have a rubber coated cloth surround, and some factory UV protectant?
Old 06-23-04, 09:54 PM
sc300n00b
Pole Position

Hmm...can't wait to see what mine looks like when I pull it out next week