Sponsored by:

System advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-04, 02:23 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default System advice

I'm dropping my car off tonight to get my system installed. I am planning for 2 10W6 subs in a sealed enclosure powered by a JL 500x1. I'm concerned that two 10's may not be enough 'bump'...should I go with 3 10W6 subs and a JL 1000x1? I should have plenty of mids and highs...two sets of MB Quartz seperates powered by a JL 300x4.
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 06-07-04, 08:51 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For starters, you need a 500/1 for each woofer to get the max bass out of them..If louder is what you want then you should go with 12's instead..The 10's will give you nice sound but will not hit as deep as 12's..Hope this helps...
Old 06-07-04, 11:54 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

WOW...you don't think a 500/1 per 10" is kinda overkill? If anything I would probably go with 2 12W6 subs...do you think two 500/1's are better than a 1000/1? Can't I run at lower Ohms if two subs are running off the mono? Or am I not thinking right here?
Old 06-08-04, 07:56 AM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

the jl amps (all are mono) are rated at 500 watts no matter what the ohm load....but i think the lowest is 2 ohms. if u have 2 6 ohm subs....the rated ohm load would be 3 ohms...and should be safe to run off 1 amp. i have 1 jl 12w7....and its being pushed by the 500.1. i dont need it to be any louder...it runs the sub fine. im sure your 2 10w6's will run fine on 1 jl 500.
Old 06-08-04, 08:12 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SilverLexo
WOW...you don't think a 500/1 per 10" is kinda overkill? If anything I would probably go with 2 12W6 subs...do you think two 500/1's are better than a 1000/1? Can't I run at lower Ohms if two subs are running off the mono? Or am I not thinking right here?
I am giving advice from experiance and as someone who used to sell these products...I have delt with JLaudio directly and the w6 is rated 400watts rms, where the w3 is rated 250 watts rms..By running a 500/1 to 2 speakers that are rated at 400 watts each your actually underpowering them by giving them only 250 watts..Now if you run 500 watts to to each your actually running them at peek power and giving yourself some head room..The JL slash series amps use a system called "R.I.P.S."-Regulated, intelligent,power,Supply. Basically this means that the amp will play at the rated power between 9.5 volts-15 volts and 1.5ohms-6ohms..As for whether you should use one or two, I would recommend 2 and that is directly from JL.!! The reason for using 2 amps is so that each sub is getting their own power supply and not feeding off the same source..Hope this helps.Heres a spec sheet from JL audio-

Balance (n): A harmonious or satisfying arrangement or proportion of parts or elements, as in a design.

The 10W6v2 is a great choice for those seeking audiophile sub-bass performance with strong output capability in very compact enclosures. Exceptional linear excursion capability and highly optimized motor and suspension designs ensure linear performance at high power levels. Patented cooling technologies enhance reliability and linearity. Well suited for compact sealed or ported enclosure designs.

Nominal Diameter: 10 inches (250 mm)
Continuous Power Handling: 400 Watts
Voice Coil: 2.75" diameter, 4-layer, Kapton former
Available Configurations: Dual 4 ohm only
Xmax (one-way, linear): 0.60" (15.2 mm)
Sealed Enclosure Range: 0.50-1.00 cu.ft. (14.0-28.0 liters)
Ported Enclosure Range: 0.75-1.25 cu.ft. (21.2-35.5 liters)
VRC™ Technology: YES
W-Cone™ Technology: YES
Elevated Frame Technology: YES
Floating Cone Attach Technology: YES
NeckVent™ Technology: YES

Copyright © 2003 JL Audio. All rights reserved.

Last edited by johnee78; 06-08-04 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-08-04, 08:20 AM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Originally posted by johnee78
I am giving advice from experiance and as someone who used to sell these products...I have delt with JLaudio directly and the w6 is rated 400watts rms, where the w3 is rated 250 watts rms..By running a 500/1 to 2 speakers that are rated at 400 watts each your actually underpowering them by giving them only 250 watts..Now if you run 500 watts to to each your actually running them at peek power and giving yourself some head room..The JL slash series amps use a system called "R.I.P.S."-Regulated, intelligent,power,Supply. Basically this means that the amp will play at the rated power between 9.5 volts-15 volts and 1.5ohms-6ohms..As for whether you should use one or two, I would recommend 2 and that is directly from JL.!! The reason for using 2 amps is so that each sub is getting their own power supply and not feeding off the same source..Hope this helps.Heres a spec sheet from JL audio-
Hmmm...I've always been a fan of 12's & I know they can fit in a custom enclosure under the rear deck so I can still get to my spare tire. Now the choice may be to run two 500/1's vs. one 1000/1. Is there no benefit to running off of a single amp?
Old 06-08-04, 08:21 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

koreanpers -I noticed that you are using a 500/1 for a 12w7, which is underpowering the woofer..You are probably satisfied with the sound because it is firing directly into the cabin of the car..Opposed to having to travel from the back of the trunk and then into the cabin..I am suggesting the max power for the woofers 1- because they can handle it and 2- because silverlexo has made it clear that he wants loud bass...In order to get very loud bass you need power and a slot port box that is ported into the cabin of the car through the factory woofer opening..The combination of the 2 is really loud!!! ..
Old 06-08-04, 08:23 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Hmmm...I've always been a fan of 12's & I know they can fit in a custom enclosure under the rear deck so I can still get to my spare tire. Now the choice may be to run two 500/1's vs. one 1000/1. Is there no benefit to running off of a single amp?
About the only advantage to running 1 amp is you save some wire, other than that the 2 500/1's when put together are the exact same size as the 1000/1..
Old 06-08-04, 08:28 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Another advantage of running 2 amps is that your not limited to where you can mount your amps..Where the 1000/1 is 1 long amp you have the advantage of 2 smaller amps...Just some more pros..What alot of people don't know is that JLaudio released the 1000/1 strictly for the 12w7 and the 13w7 because there isn't any other amp out there that can push 1000 watts at 3ohms..So these amps were built with intention to used as a single speaker amp..
Old 06-08-04, 08:30 AM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Originally posted by johnee78
silverlexo has made it clear that he wants loud bass...In order to get very loud bass you need power and a slot port box that is ported into the cabin of the car through the factory woofer opening..The combination of the 2 is really loud!!! ..
I've had bad experiences with ported boxes...it seems that a sealed encloseure is the 'safest' way to go for all aruond good sound. But what would your recommendation be on the slot port? I assume they would have to be on the edge of each sub enclosure so they would meet up in the middle and fire through the stock sub opening...what about the area of the slot...how big? (2 12w6's)
Old 06-08-04, 08:39 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

I've had bad experiences with ported boxes...it seems that a sealed encloseure is the 'safest' way to go for all aruond good sound. But what would your recommendation be on the slot port? I assume they would have to be on the edge of each sub enclosure so they would meet up in the middle and fire through the stock sub opening...what about the area of the slot...how big? (2 12w6's)
If you contact JL audio and tell them what you have (2-12w6) and tell them the power, they will actually design a slot port box for your vehicle and all you have to do is put it together..Slot port box is really different than just a pre-fab ported enclosure..If loud is what you want than go with the slot port box, ported through the factory woofer opening...

Last edited by johnee78; 06-08-04 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-08-04, 09:47 AM
LS400
Club Lexus Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a sealed box fan because of the lack of output compared to a well-built ported/vented enclosure. Sealed boxes can get pretty loud depending on the ears of the listener, but they are not for me. I had some play with W6's a year back and I got really good results with 2.5 cubic feet (net - for two 12" W6's) with 50 square inches of port tuned to 30 hertz.

johnee78 - There are actually plenty of amplifiers out in the market that can push 1000+ watts @ 3-ohms. It's just that JL Audio marketed their amplifiers to be the "perfect amplifier" for the W7's because of the W7's limited voice coil configuration (nothing wrong with it since it collects the money). Their monoblock amplfiers can power other brands of subwoofers just as easily (given the correct ohm-configuration, etc.) as W7's.
Old 06-08-04, 02:50 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

OK...I've decided that I am going with 3 10W6 subs with a 1000/1 amp...I'd like to go with 3 500/1's but my budget doesn't quite fit it in. My car is at the shop and they are laying the wiring down right now.

Does anyone see a problem with mounting the rear seperates as a coaxial style...will they fit in the stock location?
Old 06-08-04, 03:26 PM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

Hi, i did the trunk mount in my car. i custom mounted the 12 in the rear deck, firing into the cabin. we had to cut the rear deck out, to accomodate the sub. i have 1 12w7 as discussed earlier. I also have the jl spec slot ported box. the bass is unbelievable. and no trunk rattle....heres the link to the install here...

My sub install

Last edited by koreanpers; 06-08-04 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-08-04, 06:07 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had people at shows tell me that my 10's sound like 12's when I bump hard. I guess it all matters how the box is built, how much power your pushing, and how the system is tuned... Good luck with your choice!
Attached Thumbnails System advice-2649-med.jpg  

Quick Reply: System advice