Help with Sony Ericcson HCB-30 Bluetooth Car Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-04, 05:43 PM
cschow
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Sony Ericcson HCB-30 Bluetooth Car Kit

Hi all:

I had a shop install a Sony Ericsson HCB-30 bluetooth car kit (WITHOUT the advance music mute accessory) in my 2001 LS-430 today. I know a few people here have the kit. I'm seeing some major problems with my kit and wonder if anyone has any advice.

First off, I was able to pair my Sony Ericsson T616 phone to the car kit.

However, when I switch the car on, its my understanding that the car kit should be turned on and indicate that it is turning on by making a sound through the speaker. Although the user's manual is unclear, it appears that the kit should be turned on when the car is started (i.e., IGN power and not ACC power). Currently, the kit makes no sound whatsoever, whether the key is turned on ACC or IGN. However, the blue backlight of the car kit is turned on. (I.e., what I see is the blue back light and no activity on the red/green indicator light).

Related to this, its my understanding that when the car is turned on, the car kit should try to automatically connect to a paired phone. This should be shown by the indicator light alternatively flashing green and red, and then going solid green if the phone has network access or solid red if the phone does not have network access. Currently, the kit does not do this when the car is turned on.

The manual turn on function, activated by pressing and holding the disconnect key works. The indicator light blinks red/green and turns green and the phone indicates that its connected. However, the connection is automatically dropped after 1 min.

If before this 1 min expires I call the cell phone from another phone, the car kit rings, and using the pickup key I can cause the cell phone to answer and I can hear what is said by the other phone over the speaker. However, anything I say cannot be heard on the other phone, indicating that the microphone connection is not working. Also the Mark Levinson is never muted.

Anyone ever run into problem like these with this car kit? Any suggestions? Was the car kit simply not installed properly? It seems like the car kit isn't being turned on properly when the key is turned, since there is no turn on sound through the kit's speakers and the kit fails to auto-connect to the phone.
Old 06-11-04, 09:30 AM
cschow
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

12 views and no responses!

Well, it all ended well. I'm happy to report my HCB30 and T616 are now working fine together.

I had a follow-up appointment with the installer today. The installer apparently skipped reading the instructions and worked only off the installation diagram at the front of the install manual. As a result, he reversed the music mute and switched power wires. Once those were reversed again to cancel out his original wiring error, and once the microphone was fully plugged in, everything suddenly worked just fine.