Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

NAV users - how do you use it in real-life driving?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-04, 06:20 AM
Lexterious
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NAV users - how do you use it in real-life driving?

As an RX330 owner, one of the options at the time was the Navigation system. It was somewhat expensive and there was a 90-day wait time to get one with that when I purchased the 330 over a year ago. Since I didn't travel that much, I skipped the Nav.

Since then, I've had more than a few times when I have fumbled with maps and thus I couldn't help but think maybe I should have waited for a car with Nav.

Recently, I've learned that after market DVD-based Nav systems like those from Alpine, Pioneer and Eclipse are now pretty good.

Just wondering if I should spend upwards of $2000 CDN ($1400 USD) ffor a unit like this.

Do you guys use the Nav computer much in real life driving? Is the map display on all the time? Do you really look at it much while you are driving? ...is Nav a gimmick? (no offense).
Old 06-10-04, 07:06 AM
LS007
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use my navigation all the time - at least once or twice a week. Then again I have kids and activities at many different schools, pools and fields in the surrounding area.

A big consideration for you wil be map coverage in your country or area. This is probably why your dealer didn't stock many cars with navigation. Canada coverage is poor compared to the US. About the best Canada coverage now is Alpine's PowerNav. I'd check here 1st to make sure the areas you will be traveling are covered. Look under Products and Nav. Software Coverage. Select Canada on the drop down menu for list of cities.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/

Another option are the new portable GPS units, like Roadmate 500 or 700, StreetPilot (Or) a PDA and navigation software with a dash GPS antenna. These have come a long way and pretty good now.

Last edited by LS007; 06-10-04 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-10-04, 11:28 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't use it that much.
The road to work is always the same, LOL.
Old 06-10-04, 11:38 AM
cschow
Rookie

Default Nav can be very useful

I always wanted navigation because I like new toys. However, I now own two cars with navigation and I find having the system quite useful.

-- I use nav all the time when traveling to or from a new location.
-- I use nav all the time when a route I normally travel is congested and I decide I want an alternate route to avoid a traffic jam.
-- I use nav all the time if I'm at an unfamiliar location and need to find a specific service, e.g., I want to get lunch and where can I get food?

I find if you have a nav system, learn how to use it, you will end up using it.
Old 06-10-04, 12:34 PM
Tranman

I use my nav just about everyday. It's pretty useful for me. Like today, there was a backup in traffic because of some construction. I looked on the nav for a quick way around. I turned around and found another road that was parallel....it's nice to know that unknown "shortcuts" don't turn out to be dead ends...

Anyways, just installed a switch for the speed sensor to the nav computer so I can disable the lockout so that a passenger can program it...which makes the nav a bit more useful on the fly...having to stop to program is a PITA sometimes...especially on the highway when stopping is not an option just to do programming.

Last edited by Tranman; 06-10-04 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-11-04, 08:03 AM
psukhu
Rookie

I have Nav in both of my cars. My wife and I use it in different ways.

My wife is an attorney and often has meetings at court houses and other law firms around the metropolitan area. She uses the Nav to give her step by step directions on how to get to each location. She saves the most common places in the syst***s address book. She doesn't really use the map view, she prefers te "step by step" view.

I, on the other hand, mostly use the map view. I have a pretty good sense of direction, but I like having a bird's eye view of the area. When I run into a traffic backup, I like to use the nav to help me find alternative routes.

We live in a large sprawling metro, so we get good use out of the system. Of course, it is also great to have one when you're on a road trip.

It's like having Mapquest.com built-in to your car.