Sponsored by:

Nakimichi amp in gs400 runs too hot need advise on cooling

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-04, 08:22 PM
RanGer498
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Nakimichi amp in gs400 runs too hot need advise on cooling

well i was driving around tonight and had my stock system pumping but after an one hour it started to kinda sound funny like a fizzle any way im guessing its the factory stock amp ..since it was extreamly hot to the touch(you could have burned your hand on it) i noticed the amp has vents on the side and was wondering if anyone has done anything to help keep it cooler by doing some mod to it such as blowing air on it or sucking the hot air out ...or anything else ..any ideas would be great to help keep the stock amp cooler .
thanks.
Old 06-16-04, 09:53 AM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

i know you can buy little cooling fans from radio shack or on ebay. that could help to cool it.
Old 06-16-04, 06:09 PM
RanGer498
Lead Lap

Originally posted by koreanpers
i know you can buy little cooling fans from radio shack or on ebay. that could help to cool it.
the idea has come to mind but should i blow air though it ..main idea !or suck the hot air out of it though the vents?that should work just as good also .

Last edited by RanGer498; 06-16-04 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-21-04, 11:05 PM
RanGer498
Lead Lap

Old 06-22-04, 08:58 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

it isnt the nakamichi amp that was causing a problem. the gs nakamichi amp is in the trunk. do you mean the nakamichi equalizer was hot? that is a 9 inch by 4 inch by 2 inch metal box that mounts behind the cd changer and gets water condensation damage from the a/c evaporator housing .it will eventually toast the equalizer which has a 700.00 list price. so when you drove a long time with the air on water was dripping into the box. eventually the water will get in the cd changer also. . the pioneer premium system has no equalizer box so it is only a problem of the nakamichi premium system. is the evaporator drain plugged? there should be water dripping on the ground after stopping on a hot day. if no water it is ending up behind the glovebox in the equalizer aqnd the cd changer. .
Old 06-24-04, 04:18 AM
RanGer498
Lead Lap

Originally posted by lexusaudio
it isnt the nakamichi amp that was causing a problem. the gs nakamichi amp is in the trunk. do you mean the nakamichi equalizer was hot? that is a 9 inch by 4 inch by 2 inch metal box that mounts behind the cd changer and gets water condensation damage from the a/c evaporator housing .it will eventually toast the equalizer which has a 700.00 list price. so when you drove a long time with the air on water was dripping into the box. eventually the water will get in the cd changer also. . the pioneer premium system has no equalizer box so it is only a problem of the nakamichi premium system. is the evaporator drain plugged? there should be water dripping on the ground after stopping on a hot day. if no water it is ending up behind the glovebox in the equalizer aqnd the cd changer. .

??????????????? i was driving with open windows NO air on ! i know its the amp .why ?its in the trunk on the right hands side under the carpeted floor matt the amp was hot(burning hot) to the touch.
what i did for now is keep the carpet off of it ,it helps with the cooling a little im going to try a mod this weekend with both blowing air thought it and sucking air out ..ill post results later .

and thanks for the tip on the eq ill make a shroud for it or something this weekend as well.
Old 06-29-04, 11:32 AM
RanGer498
Lead Lap

bump