Sponsored by:

Ground ghost in the machine

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-04, 04:45 PM
hansjl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ground ghost in the machine

My problem has been the often noted electrical interruption of radio, lights, engine, dying, that's credited to a grounding failure. This has been a pain in my %*&$ for a while since it only happened when it rains or is real damp like its been here on the East Coast for the past couple of weeks. I finally got around to doing something about the ghost. First off, if you haven't already done so, throw the negative terminal that comes with your Lex away (mine is a 95 SC). It is a piece of crap and it’s a damn shame Lexus put crap like that in a nice car. I had an old (new) negative terminal end with a screw down like the Lex except it's made of lead for a real ground connection laying around, so I used it. The Lex negative terminal was eaten away and really looked bad. The replacement was a perfect fit. Secondly, I got a 40 inch starter to switch 4 ga cable and it connected to the negative terminal end and I connected the other end on the EFI body. The terminal end is capable of holding multiple cables that can be connected to various ground points. We'll see in the morning if this took care of the problem. My test drives tonight seem to make me think it did. The starter to switch cables come in various long lengths and cost $5 each. Hell, you can have an infinite ground set just by running cable to cable at the grounding points on the engine. I had wire ties so that cost nothing. The cables come in black and red so that’s the limiting factor. Total cost, $5 to see if the ghost in the machine died. From the various threads posted on the performance difference of grounding and the improvement it makes, this may be a real inexpensive investment. 4 cables, $20. Do a search on ground kits for the various opinions and make up your mind. If I see a real difference, I’ll post it. Tonight it felt great but that could be due to the ECU reset.

Sorry to bore ya……

Last edited by hansjl; 06-16-04 at 04:47 PM.