Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should I get the AVELECTRONIC NAV-TV unit ?
Get the NAV-TV unit from AVELECTRONIC
38.46%
Save my money for another NAV-TV option
61.54%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

AVELECTRONIC NAV-TV unit...Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-04, 01:54 PM
GS1day
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AVELECTRONIC NAV-TV unit...Yes or No?

I've spent hours reading posts about the different options regarding DVD to NAV solutions, and I think I am going to go with the AVELECTRONIC solution. I read that VVT-i was the contact for these units...does anyone know if that is still true? I also read, that he was having problems with his unit with lines going across the screen. Can anyone who has this setup comment on it? I actually have a laptop with a dead LCD that I was going to put in thrunk with the AVELECTRONIC box. The laptop will be my media player, DVD player, and wireless internet station. (looking for a small wireless keyboard/touchpad combination)There is a lot of talk about carputers at mp3car.com but most people don't use thier NAV screen, they are using an aftermarket LCD or touchscreen.

Has anyone mapped out the touchscreen inputs, so that the touchscreen functions could be used in a carputer configuration? We would need the pinouts for it, and the model of screen it is....I'm sure there is a driver out there somewhere....Wouldn't it be nice to have XP running with a touchscreen, and you wouldn't need a mouse?

So should I get the AVELECTRONIC NAV-TV unit? And if so, what is a good price, and who is going to sell it to me for such a good price? VVT-i? Got yer ears on good buddy?

FC
Old 06-17-04, 03:29 PM
Tranman

Well, I just purchased and installed the AVelectronic unit. So far, I like its functions and ease of installation. I installed the unit with the Aux input mod in under 2hrs. Currently I'm troubleshooting a couple problems which I have not resolved yet.

1. When the unit warms up or in hot weather so far....there is a slight curve of the picture in the top of the screen. About a 1/4 of an inch or so. Happens in both TV tuner and AV inputs. It is very annoying to me.

2. There are very faint horizontal lines going up and down across the screen, but only with the engine on...so they disappear when you turn off the engine.

3. There is an alternator whining noise coming from the unit. I thought it might be the aux input mod might have been improperly shielded....but when I connect the DVD player directly, it is noise free.

I'm looking into trying different grounds (drilling one instead of just using an existing nut/bolt) and possibly running a new power line from the battery (just grabbed an accessory power line from the amplifier originally). Sam at AVelectronic has been very helpful. He's suggested grounding the unit chassis to help with these problems...going to try it tomorrow among the other things.

Last edited by Tranman; 06-17-04 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-19-04, 01:01 AM
Tranman

Okay, the alternator whining was not the the fault of the AVelectronics unit. Put a ground loop isolator on the output of the DVD player, the noise is gone ...weird. But hey, got rid of the noise

Still get the faint lines..but I've noticed on video demos on other nav vehicles, they get those too, so maybe there isn't anything you can do about it. But it isn't bad.

The curved top is not so bad in cool weather....but probably over 80 ambient temp, it does get kinda annoying. I'm gonna try taking off the cover or adding a cooling fan to it and see if that helps.
Old 06-19-04, 12:48 PM
GS1day
Driver

Thanks for your feedback tranman. I hope you get your issues worked ut. Have you talked with AVELECTRONIC to see if they have any recommendations for the lines? Are they ALWAYS there, or are they only on certain inputs(DVD)?

Come on guys.....someone else has experience with these things...please give your opinions. I don't want to fall into a project that doesn't yield the results desired...

Anyone else??

FC
Old 09-04-04, 12:14 PM
Tranman

Just giving you an update....

The curved screen was fixed....found out that the wires for the video switching button were getting caught up by the passenger seat when someone moved it (because of how I routed it) and I guess rubbing against each other....the unit was not at fault.....

The lines are still there...but not quite as noticable anymore with a direct power source instead of pulling power from the accessory as I had originally did.

FYI: the AVelectronic and Nav-TV unit seem to be the exact same unit....

Last edited by Tranman; 09-04-04 at 12:15 PM.