Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Carputer - SC guys what do you think

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-04 | 04:55 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

What happened to the buttons on the xenarc faceplate?
Old 07-09-04 | 09:19 AM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by ACleanSC4
Yeah, well I chose the Xenarc over the Lilliput because they have a greater viewing resolution and seems that they are better quality wise. Oh, they were also only 10 minutes away from my house so I picked it up direct and I can take it back to them if I ever had any problems.
Looking at 1600*1200 on a 7" screen is a bit hard. I don't even run 1600*1200 on my 21" Sony PC monitor. Basically what that figure means is that the screen is able to sample down 1600*1200 to 800*480.

Edit: Also.. how are you planning on bringing up the power antenna?

Last edited by 0l33l; 07-09-04 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-09-04 | 11:07 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 0l33l
Looking at 1600*1200 on a 7" screen is a bit hard. I don't even run 1600*1200 on my 21" Sony PC monitor. Basically what that figure means is that the screen is able to sample down 1600*1200 to 800*480.

Edit: Also.. how are you planning on bringing up the power antenna?
FYI: if you haven't read... the lilliput screens have been known to "die" for no apparent reason. There are more horror stories with lilliput than xenarc. everyone raves about the xenarc, but hey, if you don't have the extra $$$, then just get the lilliput and take your chances. do a search on the forum to confirm what i'm saying.

also, we will not be using our antenna anymore. at this point it's useless.
Old 07-09-04 | 11:08 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by ACleanSC4
Yeah, well I chose the Xenarc over the Lilliput because they have a greater viewing resolution and seems that they are better quality wise. Oh, they were also only 10 minutes away from my house so I picked it up direct and I can take it back to them if I ever had any problems.

I might give the Lilliput a try also, we'll see how it goes...

Since my post, I fabbed up a little sandwich case for the mobo & HD and managed to fit it in the radio area as I planned before!! The power supply will remain in the glove box though because that will generate the most heat.

New install coming!
tony, i gotta see this. see ya later after project time!
Old 07-09-04 | 11:15 AM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by AutoCoutureSC
FYI: if you haven't read... the lilliput screens have been known to "die" for no apparent reason. There are more horror stories with lilliput than xenarc. everyone raves about the xenarc, but hey, if you don't have the extra $$$, then just get the lilliput and take your chances. do a search on the forum to confirm what i'm saying.

also, we will not be using our antenna anymore. at this point it's useless.
I guess I haven't gotten to the part about the death of lilliput screens. So if you're not having an antenna then you aren't installing FM radio, right? Because the in-car antennas aren't the best.
Old 07-09-04 | 11:20 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

I guess I haven't gotten to the part about the death of lilliput screens. So if you're not having an antenna then you aren't installing FM radio, right? Because the in-car antennas aren't the best.
yes, we were talking about that issue before. haven't found a solution yet, so we just figured that with all the MP3's and Video on board, there's no time for Am/FM radio.
Old 07-09-04 | 11:29 AM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by AutoCoutureSC
so we just figured that with all the MP3's and Video on board, there's no time for Am/FM radio.
I guess...
Old 07-09-04 | 11:32 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

I guess...
to each his own.
Old 07-09-04 | 11:36 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

i thought the usb fm/tv tuner would resolve the fm issue?
Old 07-09-04 | 11:48 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by aliga
i thought the usb fm/tv tuner would resolve the fm issue?
yes, but a lot of people are complaining about the quality of reception. for some it works, but i guess it all depends on where you are located. on MP3 car, i was reading about how there was a lot of static. i'm not even going to bother with FM. Some people have problems with using a PCI card as well. I guess if you can deal with some interference, it should be okay. I wouldn't mind some interference, but i'll worry about that in the future. i'm just trying to finish this project and helping tony with others before i worry about the FM tuner.
Old 07-09-04 | 12:14 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

I may do something similar to this:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...3&postcount=51
Old 07-09-04 | 04:28 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Do you really listen to FM that much? I've always listened to CDs so I could live without the FM tuner. With the amount of space you have, you can load up the harddrive with thousands of songs, hundreds of videos, and a handful of dvd quality movies.

I just finished wiring up the carputer so now it works great with the OPUS powersupply. Starts up when I put the key in and shuts down properly when I remove the key. Now all I have to do is buy new speakers all around and also add 2 amps.

lots of work...lots of projects...lots of cool things to come...
Old 07-09-04 | 04:52 PM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Nice to see this start to come together. The console trim looks good for your first time bondo job. It's a lot of sanding, I know, but the time spent makes it cleaner. Have you decided where you are going to relocate the buttons for hazard and climate control? Unless I missed something in this 10 pg thread , it looks like you went ahead and removed them. Based on your pic of the finished product, I can't see where you put them. Keep up the good work. I have often thought of trying to do something like this, but I lack the technical computer knowledge to pull it off. I guess I'm just an old fashioned wrench twister. Props to a lot of you guys as you are flooring me with your tech knowledge...a lot of it is way beyond me.
Old 07-09-04 | 05:03 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

im looking forward to see the speaker/amp wiring
Old 07-09-04 | 06:14 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

ACleanSC4,

Hey man, what did u use to fill the cupholder gap?? I hvae tried foam spray, and then putty. The foam was too soft and the putty will not dry underneath the top portion.

I am kinda stuck. What's your trick?

Jonny

Quick Reply: Carputer - SC guys what do you think