Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Carputer - SC guys what do you think

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-04, 06:55 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I cut out a piece of thin cardboard and then hotglued it onto the back of the trim. I then used bondo hair to fill in the bigger gap. It has little pieces of fiberglass strands in there so it's super hard and it won't crack.

I also cut off the complete backing of the cupholder so I didn't have to use too much filler later on.

Tony
Old 07-10-04, 09:15 AM
DaizenLex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To deal with the FM issues, you can get XM... Goes directly with the carputer,
Old 07-10-04, 10:42 AM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by DaizenLex
To deal with the FM issues, you can get XM... Goes directly with the carputer,
True, but you need to pay monthly for XM, and is doesn't have the local radio stations
Old 07-10-04, 11:29 AM
DaizenLex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trust me once you go XM you will never want fm , XM plays evrything the radios play 2-3 months early, i paid 10 bucks per month and have been extremely pleased
Old 07-14-04, 11:59 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

I recorded a quick 45 second clip of the carputer in action playing mp3's and music videos.

I still have to find a good location for my GPS unit so I haven't hooked that up yet...I'm still in the process of loading up my harddrive with stuff to keep me busy when I'm bored in traffic...

The video clip was made with Dr. Divx and you'll need divx codec to watch it...I'm loving this Divx encoding...original size about 7mbs...divx encoding takes it to 1mb without too much sacrificing of video/audio...

Right Click Save As

some updates: I fit the mobo, a 2.5" HD and a 3.5" HD all behind the radio location. You will definitely need to modify your center radio trim area for better cooling. I'll be adding a HD fan and maybe cutting holes on the sides to mount 2 more fans. The powersupply is in the glove where i'll be fabricating a face plate to allow a dvd rom or more external harddrives.
Old 07-15-04, 12:15 AM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

damn that is TIGHT! i need to get somethin like that hooked up to my alpine asap
Old 07-15-04, 12:49 AM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

couple questions,

so the motherboard you bought is made for carputer applications and uses the cars powersupply or how does that work? also what speed processor are u running or am i missing something here?

and how are u powering the external HD?
Old 07-15-04, 01:04 AM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

The motherboard is simply a mini-itx board. I chose this board because of it's size, 17cm x 17cm. Although its small, it packs a lot of power compared to some full size computers. The power supply is a special powersupply made to work in vehicle applications. www.opussolutions.com

As for the external HD, i'll be using an external firewire case and run the power for that off the car or maybe use an inverter...I don't know, everytime I jump in the car, I think of new ideas to redo my system...I've already rearranged the system 4 times and probably going to do it again tomorrow.

Glad you enjoy!
Old 07-15-04, 03:15 AM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been following this thread like a lot of people, but after seeing it in action.........I WANT ONE!!!!!! Great job.
Old 07-15-04, 07:28 AM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

What paint did you use to match the display to the center console?
Old 07-15-04, 07:57 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay so how much would this all cost???I can fab my own center console, but how much for the components to make it work??
Old 07-15-04, 09:59 AM
lexus4jess
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

the monitor looks great in the sc300.so,no radio for now?only mp3,wav,dvd movies?
Old 07-15-04, 10:24 AM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Yeah, no radio for now, but the good thing is that it's always upgradable. Over 20,000 mp3's is plenty don't you think? To play music though, stick to mp3s because .wavs take up about 10x more space compared to it's mp3 counterpart.

I just added 10 movies last night , 5,000 NES games, 15000 Gameboy Advance games, and about 4,000 more Mame games. Now all I have to do is run a 4 port USB hub to the rear tunnel mat area and I can have some 4 player competition!

The paint used was low gloss black. It looks more like flat black to me, but i'm going to redo the whole trim/mold next week.

johnee78: depending on which monitor you want, most people use either Lilliput (~$275) or the Xenarc (~$460), then you can build whatever type of computer you want. You can throw in your old computer case if you wanted to in the trunk and wire it to the front of the car. I chose this small mobo because I wanted it to fit behind the monitor which it does.
Old 07-15-04, 11:01 AM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

alright, so lets say i wanted to use an old computer case -- What kind of power supply would I need to switch it over to the car power (plz tell me what u bought is the cheapest they come, 200$ is kind of expensive for a power cord -- also do you think there would be any heat problems back there, and what about my 2 12"s in back? I already have problems with the amp overheating if I drive for too long.

and what kind of processor u running in there?
Old 07-15-04, 01:08 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by the_ez_rhino
1) What kind of power supply would I need to switch it over to the car power (plz tell me what u bought is the cheapest they come, 200$ is kind of expensive for a power cord
2) and what kind of processor u running in there?
1) The opus power supply is specifically desinged for cars. You can mod your normal AC->DC PSU to a DC-DC PSU, but you won't survive cranking, it won't have start when you put the key in the ignition, etc. So get the Opus.

2) The M10000 uses a 1ghz VIA processor. Those processors are considerably slower than any Intel/AMD offering with the same speed. But there are no motherboards that are that small that use either the AMD or the Intel processors. Also the M10000 is cheap considering you get a whole CPU/motherboard combo

Quick Reply: Carputer - SC guys what do you think